Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 10:05 AM

223 posts, read 604,177 times

Advertisements

I am not a mall person by any means; at least I haven't been one since I was in High School, and back then Crestwood Plaza was one of the best to go to. Now, I like to get to a mall around the holidays at least once so that I can get a taste of the Christmas rush...its a form of self-torture I know, but I enjoy it, and its a tradition ...So this year, I chose Crestwood.

Big mistake. I haven't been there in a few years, but last night the wife and I decided to check it out - man it was depressing! Where do I begin? Barely anyone in the place and parking lot is half full 12 days before Christmas!! Dillards is closed, and forget about the Dillards end of the mall - most of the stores are closed there too. The mall made a pathetic attempt at decorating for Christmas, but it was really sad; a few old wreaths and some fake poinsettas. The christmas music was audible, but it was TOO audible...there was no crowd to drown it out! The sparse crowd that was there for the most part was seedy looking at best and the mall security guards almost out-numbered the shoppers! There was not even a Santa Claus for kids to sit on!!

I had actually read briefly about the mall's decline somewhere within the past few months, but it did not elude to how bad things have really become.

Now, I figure it has to be one of a few things:

- Outdated? With West county Mall being updated I can see how that could take some business away...Crestwood is defintely aesthetically outdated...The parking lot is very dark...brighter lights are badly needed. The floors are old and the exterior is aged. Do people really shop for the ambience or do they shop for convenience? Probably a mix of the 2 I guess.

- Other malls? West County and South Conty malls have always been where they are, and there are no new malls in the area, except for the Mills, but that is quite a distance and I have heard it doesn't do that well anyway. So is it really because of other malls? - Crestwood did fine years ago when the mall locations in the area were pretty much the same.

- Economy? I know its not great for the middle class, but all of the other stores I have driven by have had some good crowds...and I live by South County mall and that place is always packed!

- Clientele? Is it the element that frequents it nowadays. I defintely saw some, lets say less than desireable sorts there (and I am not talking race here, so don't get any ideas)...Is this what is driving people away? This shouldn't be the case because I would assume that this element of people goes to other malls and that they don't all centrally communicate and meet up at Crestwood!

- Crime? Has there been some incident or incidents that I don't know about?

Maybe Crestwood is so outdated aesthtically compared to others like West County, but South County is no spring chicken either and is very crowded.

Maybe, people do go out of their way for the way a mall looks. 15 years ago when I frequented Crestwood, it was the mega mall in the area second only to the Galleria...West County was still an inside strip mall and Chesterfield was smaller...Perhaps Crestwood is in a bad location and the reason it used to be crowded is because people went out of their way to go there?

My guess is that it is a combination of all of the above.

My prediction is that this St. Louis County mall icon is closed next year. I am sad to see it go. I have a lot of memories of that place from when I was younger.

I think I need to go to West County Mall tonight to get the vision of that depressing Crestwood Mall out of my head and replaced with what Christmas is all about - Crowded parking lots, angry shoppers, and outlandish decorations. I love this time of year!

Anyone have any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 10:12 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,615,463 times
I think it's mostly outdated and the clientele. West County is too far away and that mall is simply grogeous (you know in a mall kind of way) ever since they rebuilt it.

And yes, I think you'll see some less than desirable folks at any mall, but I had a friend that went to Crestwood not too long ago and she made the exact same comment.

I guess the real question is the chicken or egg argument. Did the seedy clientele drive away the middle class, or did the middle class desert it first and that's when the "rif raff" moved in?

Old 12-14-2007, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I think it's mostly outdated and the clientele. West County is too far away and that mall is simply grogeous (you know in a mall kind of way) ever since they rebuilt it.

And yes, I think you'll see some less than desirable folks at any mall, but I had a friend that went to Crestwood not too long ago and she made the exact same comment.

I guess the real question is the chicken or egg argument. Did the seedy clientele drive away the middle class, or did the middle class desert it first and that's when the "rif raff" moved in?
My best guess would be the middle class deserted it first then the riff raff moved in...bu thjat begs the question of whether the riff raff was always there but is now more visible as the middle class left or whenther they actually moved in...I'm going to say they were always there.

The next question is: Will they shut it down and remodel/rebuild it as they did West County?

Old 12-14-2007, 12:32 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,615,463 times
Hmmm... My guess is no.
But then again I thought they'd never fix up West County so what the hell do I know?

Old 12-14-2007, 01:14 PM

145 posts, read 655,590 times
I hope they decide to just update it--I think that is the major reason no one is going there. No one wants to shop in a place that looks half dead and neglected. It's not exactly a prime location, either; it's not like you would drive by it if you were simply passing through STL, unlike others such as West County. I hope if they do close that the Cajun cuisine place relocates--they have really good bourbon chicken!

Old 12-14-2007, 01:17 PM

Moderator cut: orphaned

I believe that decline has already started. I have a friend who is a cop in the area and I have heard things...

Last edited by da jammer; 12-14-2007 at 11:34 PM..

Old 12-14-2007, 02:01 PM

Moderator cut: off topic without pointing fingers though, the decline of these establishments is caused by an unsavory populus that covers all races, creeds and colors.

To drive this point home further, I will say that when I made this thread and talked of seedy, less than desireables...the group that I saw last night that stood out in my mind today was caucasian.

Last edited by da jammer; 12-14-2007 at 11:38 PM..

Old 12-14-2007, 03:58 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,633,478 times
Before this thing goes completely sideways let's not "read" anything into each other's posts. The OP was quite clear this is not a race issue right off the bat and if this thread doesn't steer back on course and stay there it will simply be closed down. Thanks everyone

Old 12-14-2007, 10:42 PM

117 posts, read 410,904 times
Default Metrolink is never a bad thing!

Moderator cut: off topic
As for the Galleria, I've always thought it was a little overrated. Nice but what a fuss was made about it. Sad about Crestwood Plaza. We should have seen it coming when they tore down the nearby Coral Motel. What an art deco jewel! Wish somebody had saved it!

Speaking of revivals, I'd love to see a complete gutting and remodeling of St.Louis Centre Downtown. A first rate mall would do wonders for downtown. Something along the lines (albeit a bit more modest) of the Time-Warner Mall at Columbus Circle in NYC, or the Prudential Mall in Boston. Those are beautiful urban malls that more than compete with their suburban counterparts.

Last edited by da jammer; 12-14-2007 at 10:48 PM.. Reason: grammer

Old 12-18-2007, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anduarto View Post
Moderator cut: off topic
As for the Galleria, I've always thought it was a little overrated. Nice but what a fuss was made about it. Sad about Crestwood Plaza. We should have seen it coming when they tore down the nearby Coral Motel. What an art deco jewel! Wish somebody had saved it!

Speaking of revivals, I'd love to see a complete gutting and remodeling of St.Louis Centre Downtown. A first rate mall would do wonders for downtown. Something along the lines (albeit a bit more modest) of the Time-Warner Mall at Columbus Circle in NYC, or the Prudential Mall in Boston. Those are beautiful urban malls that more than compete with their suburban counterparts.
I agree about the Galleria; something about it rubs me the wrong way...the layout is funny or something.

I wonder if downtown has the population now to support St. Louis Centre part deux?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis