Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2012, 09:07 PM

7 posts, read 8,138 times

Advertisements

my husband has been interviewing with a company in st louis (build a bear - corporate). a LOT has to happen for this move even to happen but of course i am scoping things out the company is near the overland area? near the inner belt - just north west of st louis? i'm not familiar with things at all!

of course my #1 is a school and a great school. my oldest will be starting kindegarten in the fall and my other daughter will be 3 in june. so where are the "nicer family" areas around? obviously doesn't have to be IN st louis, surrounding areas are fine too of course. just looking for a good neighborhood ($250-$350k range) that has good schools and a good community. i haven't even looked at the housing costs in the area so not sure how they compare to here (we are south west of houston) where we live now (katy texas) is a HUGE family place and it's amazing here. i'm actually not too fond of even thinking about moving but i of course want to start looking around.

we are flying there next weekend to look around and meet with the company (build a bear) so we will see. just wanted to see what areas i need to start looking in so i don't have to waste more time looking somewhere we don't want to be!! thanks!

and tell me how it is living there of course
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 08:18 AM

1,912 posts, read 4,689,514 times
I'm almost positive my best friend from college grew up in Katy, TX--they moved to Chesterfield for a similar atmosphere here in STL.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:06 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
I don't know much about the area from which you'd be potentially moving, but with the commute to Overland, your budget and your desire for great schools and community I'd right away be looking at the St. Peters, MO area.

The Francis Howell School District is top-rated and has great test scores, the St. Peters Rec-Plex is an award-winning community center, your budget would get you a beautiful house (or you could spend less on something more modest and have money to save or spend), and the commute to Overland would be an easy drive of somewhere between 20 and 30 minutes.

School district information:
Schools in Francis Howell R-III School District - St. Charles, MO | GreatSchools
Francis Howell School District

Community information:
City of St. Peters, Missouri | My Hometown
City of St. Peters Rec-Plex recreation and fitness facility

And just a quick idea of the kind of house you could get at both the low and high ends of your budget:
Under 250k: Coldwell Banker Gundaker -- Your site for St. Louis Real Estate
Under 300k: Coldwell Banker Gundaker -- Your site for St. Louis Real Estate
300K: Coldwell Banker Gundaker -- Your site for St. Louis Real Estate
350k: Coldwell Banker Gundaker -- Your site for St. Louis Real Estate

Full disclosure: I grew up right in this area, and I had a great childhood. I wouldn't live there again simply because me and suburbs don't get along so well, but if that's the feel you're going for, I don't think you could go wrong. The suggestion of Chesterfield above is by no means a bad one. Schools are great, and the housing stock is new and nice. I don't find the sense of community to be as all-around strong and your housing dollar won't go as far. Depending on the location of a particular house the commute might be similar or it might be longer -- good access to I-64 (still called Hwy 40 by many long-time locals) would help to keep the commute as short as possible.

I also want to add in a couple of more suggestions if you don't mind older homes and a bit more of an inner-ring suburban feel. I tend to think St. Louis' inner-ring burbs have more charm and are easier to acclicmate into as newcomers. If that's something you'd be interested in, I highly recommend Webster Groves or Kirkwood.
Webster Groves, MO - Official Website
City of Kirkwood : Home

And a few homes:
Coldwell Banker Gundaker -- Your site for St. Louis Real Estate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis