Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 03:05 PM

78 posts, read 241,385 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I grew up in Southern Illinois. However, I'ved lived in Houston and Seattle for the past 4 years or so. I'm looking to move back to St. Louis next summer. I will almost definitely be working by the airport, and was curious what the commute is typically like from Edwardsville/Glen Carbon on 270 to Lambert is like?

Also, this is my first post. I've been reading the forum for a few weeks and love all the information and discussions that are on here.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 03:26 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,803,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mklein49 View Post
Hi all,

I grew up in Southern Illinois. However, I'ved lived in Houston and Seattle for the past 4 years or so. I'm looking to move back to St. Louis next summer. I will almost definitely be working by the airport, and was curious what the commute is typically like from Edwardsville/Glen Carbon on 270 to Lambert is like?

Also, this is my first post. I've been reading the forum for a few weeks and love all the information and discussions that are on here.

Thanks

Edwardsville people can help you better...and in about 3...2...1....Cellar Belle will chime in about how great Edwardsville is....etc....

But I do know it is 30 minutes to downtown STL from Edwardsville....and from downtown to the airport...about 20-30. A straight shot?....I don't know....probably a bit less than those times combined.

It isn't much worse than Bush Airport to downtown Houston. I've driven that one. ....or Seattle's...I've driven that one too.

Old 10-23-2007, 03:33 PM

Ok.

Well, I'm hoping for a much better daily commute than I have in Seattle right now. That's a big reason way dislike it here and am eager to move back to the midwest.

I'm also considering some areas in MO side. As I said, I'll be working near the airpot and likely enrolled in grad school at WashU. Growing up, I spent most of my time in Illinois and don't know much about StL other than Busch Stadium. I'm researching the areas now and reading a lot of posts on here.

Old 10-23-2007, 04:16 PM

St. Louis would have the best commute to and from airport to downtown from all 3 of those cities if it makes you feel better. Traffic is doable in STL. Not that bad(locals don't know they have it pretty good when it comes to traffic)....however there will be some changes in all of 2008-2009 with some hwy improvements, major....look up the I64 project....something to consider.

Airport to Wash U is pretty easy.....also note that Metrolink offers some public transportation light rail services in parts of STL...including from the airport to downtown. It is still in its infancy stages but it covers some different areas and worth checking out.

Renting?, Buying?....budget....etc....there are some great areas very close to Wash U for all different types of lifestyles.

Old 10-23-2007, 04:42 PM

Good point. When I lived in the area previously, I commuted from Freeburg, IL to Boeing. A the time, I thought the bridge traffic was bad. But, I had no idea what bad traffic was till I got to Seattle. It's rough commuting here.

I'm looking to buy. However, my budget may very greatly. I have a condo here now and I'm not sure if I want to sell it or rent it out. Selling my condo, I'm probably in the 300-400 range. If I keep it and rent it out, I'll be on a much lower end...probaly in the 150 range.

What are some nice/safe areas near Washu with easy access to 170? Brentwood, Clayton, Webster, U-City?

I wish Boeing had a shuttle to and from the airport. I know they didn't in the past. Perhaps, they do now In any case, I do like being close to Metrolink. I used it all the time for going to ballgames.

Old 10-23-2007, 05:05 PM

A lot will depend on your budget....however all of the areas that you mentioned are good choices....also include Olivette, U.City, Creve Coeur......more urban..... Central West End, or Tower Grove, Downtown Condos.

All depends on your lifestyle and interests.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:38 PM

275 posts, read 1,124,928 times
FishTacos is right... I'm going to chime in. I have to say, if I was going to be in Grad school and working fulltime, I'd plant myself as close as possible to either the school or the airport. I'm a huge fan of Ed'ville, but I think you would be wise to find something near work or school.

Just FYI: I can make it to the airport in about 30 minutes provided I don't get hung up in Ed'ville traffic or 270 traffic. It is an easy drive when all is going well.

But, I really think with all you will have going on with school and work, I would recommend living in St. Louis. Time is going to be your most precious commodity, and while most of the time the commute will probably be pretty good, those times when it is not will be frustrating. If you post and read here long enough, you will get a good idea for parts of St. Louis to consider.

Good Luck!

Quote:
Ok.

Well, I'm hoping for a much better daily commute than I have in Seattle right now. That's a big reason way dislike it here and am eager to move back to the midwest.

I'm also considering some areas in MO side. As I said, I'll be working near the airpot and likely enrolled in grad school at WashU. Growing up, I spent most of my time in Illinois and don't know much about StL other than Busch Stadium. I'm researching the areas now and reading a lot of posts on here.

Old 10-25-2007, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtacos View Post
A lot will depend on your budget....however all of the areas that you mentioned are good choices....also include Olivette, U.City, Creve Coeur......more urban..... Central West End, or Tower Grove, Downtown Condos.

All depends on your lifestyle and interests.
I'd also like to add Richmond Heights and Maplewood....accidentally omitted as other possibilities in addition to these for your requests.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:26 PM

Yeah, I'm thinking if I go to grad school, I'll probably move to StL. Then, come back to Illinois once I'm finished.

Fishtacos, in the areas we mentioned is it possible to find new construction? Or, will most places be updated/renovated? I also would like to find a place with a basement if possible?

Old 10-29-2007, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I'm thinking if I go to grad school, I'll probably move to StL. Then, come back to Illinois once I'm finished.

Fishtacos, in the areas we mentioned is it possible to find new construction? Or, will most places be updated/renovated? I also would like to find a place with a basement if possible?

There are rehabs and tear downs in many of those areas. Plus some newer construction townhomes with basements as well. It's really all mixed in...with the older stuff. Any large communities with mainly new construction will be the further out areas. A lot of the new construction are the condos, townhomes, etc...but if you search well enough there are some finds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis