Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2013, 02:01 PM

1 posts, read 932 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks,

I've been reading little bits of this forum for years and have seen a lot of these posts be very fruitful; now I'm in a similar situation and hoping it will work for me:

I've been offered a job downtown and I'm looking to move close (VERY close) to my job.
-Me: 28, male, from the suburbs, love all of the city activities (festivals, culture, concerts), appreciate quiet though, single, getting my MBA ft and working ft.
-I'd love to be able to walk, and the dress is casual so the ability to wear sneakers and shorts can provide me a little extra distance.
-I'm looking to avoid sketchy areas altogether. According to the crime map, this pretty much locks me into the island of safety around Washington Ave.
-I'm not getting rich from the job, plus I'm paying for education. I'd like to keep the price as low as possible. This, to me, means $1K/mo or lower.
-I would prefer no roommates. I've had them since undergrad, and I'm at a point where I'll sacrifice space for solitude.

The rest is negotiable. Would I love a pool, gym, washer/dryer, roof deck, etc? Sure, but I don't need any of it.

Questions for you all:
1) Is this possible?
2) Is this area reasonably safe to walk around in - Including 8th St and Convention Center Metrolinks
3) Any good ideas on the apartment/loft?
4) Is it possible to live in St. Louis without a car at all? Solely public transit and WeCar?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 02:53 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,929,476 times
Downtown is relatively safe to reside and visit. I would look into the Lofts in Wash Ave, Old Post Office District, and a few others closer to the Arch. To answer your questions.

1. Yes
2. Yes. Safe all hors of the day but like any urban area with a diverse set of residents always be aware of your surroundings.
3. Look into Bell Lofts, 315 Lofts, Bogen Lofts, Ventana, Ludwig Lofts, Fashion Square, and Bee Hat Lofts. For a little lower rest Gentrys Landing or Mansion House would work as well.
4. Yes it is doable despite what others will tell you but not as easy as some other cities.

I am a long time downtown resident. Let me know if you have other questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis