Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 08:41 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times

Advertisements

Thanks.

This is why I'm renting for two years so I could find that perfect townhouse in the perfect neighborhood. Lol.

Thanks for the quality advise!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 11:22 AM

1,563 posts, read 3,873,079 times
Just a heads up, Lafayette Square is a getting a grocer: St. Louis Food Hub
-Soulard has the farmers market, open year round Wed-Sat. They also have a small grocer, Vincents, which has basics (I go there all the time). I believe its the oldest grocery store in the city, I love supporting that. About a half mile West of Soulard, is Randalls, which is one of the largest selections of wine, beer, liquor, etc I've ever seen.
-Tower Grove has the Schnucks at Grand/Gravois (it's not near as bad as it used to be, I go there often). TG also has Local Harvest grocer on Morganford, Guistine Market (corner store but with a surprisingly good selection of good beer and wine); Jays on Grand (International market, huge selection) and the Schnucks on Arsenal (technically the Hill, not far from TG). Of course in the Spring and Summer they have the Tower Grove Farmers market every Saturday (free yoga in the mornings)
-Downtown has Culinaria, everything you need

Old 06-07-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcitygirl View Post
Just a heads up, Lafayette Square is a getting a grocer: St. Louis Food Hub
-Soulard has the farmers market, open year round Wed-Sat. They also have a small grocer, Vincents, which has basics (I go there all the time). I believe its the oldest grocery store in the city, I love supporting that. About a half mile West of Soulard, is Randalls, which is one of the largest selections of wine, beer, liquor, etc I've ever seen.
-Tower Grove has the Schnucks at Grand/Gravois (it's not near as bad as it used to be, I go there often). TG also has Local Harvest grocer on Morganford, Guistine Market (corner store but with a surprisingly good selection of good beer and wine); Jays on Grand (International market, huge selection) and the Schnucks on Arsenal (technically the Hill, not far from TG). Of course in the Spring and Summer they have the Tower Grove Farmers market every Saturday (free yoga in the mornings)
-Downtown has Culinaria, everything you need
Tower grove sounds like a great bet with the diversity levels and multiple places to grocery shop. How is parking and the possibility of getting an apartment with modern amenities like I would downtown?

Old 06-07-2013, 09:40 PM

I ran into a couple who moved back to Chicago from St. Louis. They said that St. Louis wasnt as easy to get around in by cab after a certain time. I started digging a little deeper they lived in Creve Couer. She didn't know where the Loop was and knew nothing about Ciceros pizza but she worked at BJC in the Central West End. They also told me that downtown was not a good place to live because all the lofts are section 8 and unless there was a cardinals game there was nothing going on there after hours.

My question to the forum is it true about majority of the lofts being section 8? (she did loose some credibility with her statements). Lol!

Old 06-08-2013, 02:25 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,748,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I ran into a couple who moved back to Chicago from St. Louis. They said that St. Louis wasnt as easy to get around in by cab after a certain time. I started digging a little deeper they lived in Creve Couer. She didn't know where the Loop was and knew nothing about Ciceros pizza but she worked at BJC in the Central West End. They also told me that downtown was not a good place to live because all the lofts are section 8 and unless there was a cardinals game there was nothing going on there after hours.

My question to the forum is it true about majority of the lofts being section 8? (she did loose some credibility with her statements). Lol!
HAHAHA!

(A) Cabs are really easy to get in the City, but you do have to call them. You can't just walk out and grab one unless you're already out downtown, the Loop, the Grove, etc., on a weekend night. Every time I call one to my apartment in the CWE it's usually there within 5-10 minutes, but I can always catch a cab on the street back home whenever I'm out in a busy area.

(B) There are actually very few (if any) section 8 apartments downtown. Some of the buildings participate in the low income housing tax credit program, but that's a different program from section 8 entirely. They basically just put income limits on a certain number of apartments that they rent out, so some of the people in a particular building pay market rate and some pay a tax credit rate. I only know of 3 buildings that participate in that program downtown, so it's hardly "all" of the lofts. As far as nothing going on after hours, I'm not sure where they got that information. It can seem a little dead on weeknights but on the weekends it's absolutely packed.

Sounds like typical misinformation that some suburbanites have a habit of spreading about the City. If they didn't even know where the Loop is (!) I would take it with a large grain of salt.

Old 06-08-2013, 06:59 AM

3,618 posts, read 3,055,372 times
The section 8 comment is hyperbole I am pretty sure. The lofts on Washington and Locust would seem to fetch good market rates. Plenty-o-well-heeled-yuppies there about. North of there and west of there, on the other hand.

The cab thing is a significant issue. When I lived in Chicago, right next to the police station at Shakespeare and California, we used to go south on the blue line two stops to get drinks down in Wicker Park. You could step out of any bar and be in a cab within 15 seconds, and it would cost maybe $5 with a tip to get home. Shortly after I moved here, I went to a party at the Adams Mark (which is now the Hyatt) - one of the largest hotels in St. Louis, maybe the largest, on a Saturday night, and waited out front for half an hour completely convinced I would be able to find a cab. Nope. Not at 11 pm on a Saturday night in the center of downtown. It is a bummer. I don't think it has changed much in the 11 years that have passed, but now I know you have to plan an extra 30-60 min at the end of the night to call/wait for a cab if you are planning to tie one on away from home and without a designated driver.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:23 AM

1,117 posts, read 2,927,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post

The comment is common to hear from people that dont live downtown or don't know anything about it. People are paying 1.25 a square foot to live in the Lofts downtown so it's hardly Section 8. I only know of 2 that participate in the Low Income game and there are over 30 residential loft buildings. There is usually a constant stream of activity even without a sporting event. Unless you like going out on a Monday or Tues night you will be fine.

I live downtown and can answer just about any question you have if you are serious about living downtown. It's the best area to live in the STL region.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:10 AM

Hi brickmama,

(I Feel funny writing that)

Anyway, do you know anything about the Laurel, Gentry's Landing and Mansion House.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:41 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,927,069 times
The Laural is high end place that is one of the latest to open. Gentrys and the Mansion House are older and wont have the amenities of the Laural. Gentrys and MH will work for short term to get acquainted with the city. The Laural is pricier with a better location and great amenities.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:47 AM

589 posts, read 1,107,622 times
Lafayette Square is also getting a shopping center on the west side (on Jefferson) with a Save A Lot (I think), BLAST Fitness, Family Dollar, Subway, H&R Block, and one other food tenant that is yet to be identified on the building. Not high end retail, but they have done a great job transforming the once abandoned grocer.

Soulard is my favorite of the three you mentioned. It is a very vibrant neighborhood. People always seem to forget there is a grocer there (Vincents) - so thanks for bringing that up stlcitygirl!

Downtown, Soulard, Lafayette Square are actually very close together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis