Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2013, 04:12 PM

3 posts, read 3,091 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I just relocated to the area and am looking to rent a little house. I love the location of the one on The Hill (Nagel) but the house was pretty rough (my budget is the big culprit! Lol). On the other hand, I found a lovely little cottage in Overland near Endicot Park. I am told Overland can be both good or bad depending on where you are, but that is the house I think that I’ll be taking. I’ll be driving to Town and Country for work. What do you folks think? What is the best route to take? I am used to the wide open spaces of NM so everything is pretty daunting to me but I really want to enjoy the city (zoos, museums and such)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 06:23 PM

3,618 posts, read 3,055,951 times
sounds like you'll be right next to I-170, so you'd take that south to I-64 west to destination. Pretty easy ride. I think you'll be okay there in terms of easy access to the city, museums, zoo, etc. If you like shooting pool, it doesn't get much better than the Cue and Cushion on Woodson.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:07 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,019,591 times
As far as commutes go, you'll be perfectly fine in Overland. Whether or not it's the location you want to be in will really depend on what you're looking for. I wouldn't worry to much about access to the Zoo or the Museums, as they're a short drive away, and since most of us don't visit the museums or zoo on a daily basis, taking the short drive to the Western edge of the city on occasion really isn't a major concern for county residents.

I'm two towns over (depending on where you're located in Overland) in St. Ann. If you're close to Midland I think Overland is pretty good...South of Midland always seems better, but just slightly north isn't bad either. Overland runs into Breckenridge Hills on the Northern part along Woodson, and I'm not a fan of the Breckenridge Hills neighborhood in general, leave something to be desired. St. Ann also has some very affordable 2 Bd Rm homes for rent, and all the areas have lots of parks in close proximity to the homes. Overland has a better downtown district than St. Ann, although it's relatively small and doesn't have a lot going on...it's still a nice start.

Old 11-30-2013, 01:34 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,927,484 times
Look for other options on the Hill.

Old 11-30-2013, 09:22 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,019,591 times
Rowan,

Was there anything that initially drew you to the Hill? Just curious if there's something that you're looking for in addition to an easy commute to Town & Country.

BTW - The area you're looking (if actually next to the park you mentioned) isn't actually Overland, but St. John. I've had several friends who've owned homes around Brown Road in St. John and absolutely loved the location and their neighbors.

Did a quick street view search around the park, and it appears hit and miss...some nice looking homes clustered together, then some homes that look a bit rundown (sheets hanging in front of windows, or doors). Drive the area at all hours, stop by at night, see what the vibe is. If you see roving bands of teenagers on a Friday night (when the weather is nice) you might want to keep looking. Not sure what your budget is, but you can typically find something safe, and at a price point somewhere in the St. Louis metro, and we're here to help

Last edited by flynavyj; 11-30-2013 at 09:32 PM..

Old 11-30-2013, 09:55 PM

Thanks everyone for all your replies. Not having much knowledge of the city I have just been looking at whatever was in my budget near work. Not looking for anything just barely over the bridge as that seems to be the worst traffic. Obviously, I cant live in Town and Country, but I did find a nice little house in Ballwin just today that he may let me rent for a little under the asking price. I know this may sound dumb to non-dog lovers, but I would love to be able to just run home on lunch to break up my pups long day. Aside from that, I just want an area that feels right. It looks like you can get a lovely house anywhere for about $750 but I want to stay lower as the student loans just hit and I don't want to be house poor when there are such great things in the city to do! So, yeah, I guess I want it all! lol

Old 12-02-2013, 06:31 PM

Another Question!!! Until I move in a month I have to drive from Town and Country to the IL side. At 5:30pm, is it better to take 270 or 55? I don't care which is faster. Which is safer/easier!!!? I just tried it on 270 and had to pry my fingers off the wheel when I got home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis