Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2014, 02:14 PM

9 posts, read 13,594 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the advice I have recieved so far as my family and I prepare for our move to St louis. We had a long weekend of house hunting, which just made it more confusing as the homes seem to blend. Our needs/wants are 4 bds/2 bth, some kind of yard, great schools, and most importantly a family friendly neighborhood. our budget is under 400. I have an 11 yr old daughtet and 8 yr old son, and a wife that will be staying home. Our hope is to find a home with lots of familys. From what we have seen, out in the burbs each subdivision is different, so it is hard to tell which one is the most family friendly. If anyone knows of any aprticular subdivisions/area of town that are full of familys to help us narrow our search that would be great. We have looked at Legends in eureka, Copper lakes in wildwood, and a many others

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 03:01 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,689,514 times
I have no advice on which subdivisions have the most families as I've never lived in a subdivision in STL. We sadly don't have a lot of people on this message board who live west of 270 to offer much perspective. However, in terms of houses blending, I got some great advice with my last housing search: Only keep 2 houses on your "top picks" list. We looked at well over 30 houses and this really help us keep things straight. If we looked at a house, we basically decided "is this better than one of our top 2 homes?" If no, forget about it. If yes, add this house to the top 2 and bump one out.

I'd say the key on family friendliness would be to walk around the neighborhoods you like the most. Are there kids playing on the playground or out in the yards? People taking walks with strollers? Are there school bus stops full of kids in the morning (sadly won't work on the weekend)? Parents around that you could talk to?

Just based on 2010 census data, a slightly larger % of households had children living with them in Wildwood. (51% in wildwood vs 47% in Eureka--doesn't seem like a huge difference to me, both show nearly half of households have children).

Old 04-23-2014, 11:36 AM

446 posts, read 485,257 times
Where do you plan to work and how flexible are you commute wise?

There are a couple of good houses in nice and friendly neighborhoods of West County. Good schools too. My house is in the same neck of the woods.

731 Chancellor Heights Dr, Manchester, MO 63011 is For Sale - Zillow

458 Lynwood Forest Dr, Manchester, MO 63021 is For Sale - Zillow

Old 04-23-2014, 09:11 PM

9 posts, read 13,594 times
Working in clayton, not concerned with commute, more concerned with family neighborhood

Old 04-23-2014, 09:34 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,866,481 times
This house doesn't look to have much curb appeal, but it meets your criteria and is in the Ladue School District, which is considered the best in the area:

41 Tealwood Dr, Creve Coeur, MO 63141 is For Sale - Zillow

Here are some other options, also in Creve Coeur that I think would be in the Parkway school district (also very good):

6 Morwood Ln, Creve Coeur, MO 63141 is For Sale - Zillow
12120 Hibler Dr, Creve Coeur, MO 63141 is For Sale - Zillow
1000 Fernpark Dr, Creve Coeur, MO 63141 is For Sale - Zillow

If I was working with your budget and requirements, Creve Coeur would probably be my target. Good Luck!

Old 04-24-2014, 09:10 AM

The Tealwood house is under contract. So is Hibler. That's the trouble with Zillow :\

Old 04-24-2014, 09:48 AM

21 posts, read 31,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiken View Post
The Tealwood house is under contract. So is Hibler. That's the trouble with Zillow :\
How do you get the info more updated than those websites? Curious where to see if homes are under contract? And agreed, the homes are flying. I guess the most important thing is to know the streets/areas and be ready to commit when the house does come on the market. We were a bit too relaxed in the winter since the market was so slow, and almost lost our home due to other buyers...

Old 04-24-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC616 View Post
How do you get the info more updated than those websites? Curious where to see if homes are under contract? And agreed, the homes are flying. I guess the most important thing is to know the streets/areas and be ready to commit when the house does come on the market. We were a bit too relaxed in the winter since the market was so slow, and almost lost our home due to other buyers...
I'm currently in the process of buying a home myself, and I have MLS access via my realtor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis