Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2014, 02:27 PM

10,019 posts, read 8,624,361 times

Advertisements

My View From The Balcony: St. Louis Mo. Theatre Timeline
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 06:56 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,861,998 times
Thanks for sharing! Great stuff! ♥

Old 06-20-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
Thanks for sharing! Great stuff! ♥
I came across that site when I was looking for pictures of the old drive-in theatres that used to be in St.Louis. Amazing what you can find on the internet.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:44 AM

1,709 posts, read 2,165,926 times
It's really cool, but where are the Ambassador, American, Orpheum, and Fox theatres? I feel like there's quite bit missing.

Old 06-21-2014, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
It's really cool, but where are the Ambassador, American, Orpheum, and Fox theatres? I feel like there's quite bit missing.
It appears they rushed over those built in the 20th century, for sure!

Old 06-21-2014, 12:11 PM

I added some more.

Built St. Louis | Vanished Buildings | Ambassador Building

American Theatre in St. Louis, MO - Cinema Treasures

St Louis Patina | The Orpheum Theater, Revisited

Fox Theatre in St. Louis, MO - Cinema Treasures

Old 06-21-2014, 12:30 PM

P.S I meant to say I love, love, love drive-ins. I was born in the 80s and by then even in Australia they were a dying phenomenon. However, as a teen I'd drag all of my dates to the drive in because I've got a hatred of modern cinemas.

Drive ins are my first choice for seeing movies, cinemas older than 60 years old, with little in the way of updates are my second.

Thank goodness for the Skyview in Belleville and the Hi Pointe here in StL. The Tivoli is ok but has been a little too updated inside for my liking. It's tolerable though.

There was this cinema I used to go to (Back in Australia) as a child and teen that literally had bats (flying foxes) get in from time to time and hang out in the rafters. The place was usually packed because tickets were so cheap, but it didn't keep the cobwebs or smell of dust at bay. I loved that place ♡♡♡

I was beyond devastated when they condemned and demolished it... I started going to another old (well, slightly newer, 1940s as opposed to 1920s) theater instead that had received no face lift. .. But then that one burnt down... And then they demolished my drive in, too, in favor of houses Unhappy days!

Old 06-21-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
P.S I meant to say I love, love, love drive-ins. I was born in the 80s and by then even in Australia they were a dying phenomenon. However, as a teen I'd drag all of my dates to the drive in because I've got a hatred of modern cinemas.

Drive ins are my first choice for seeing movies, cinemas older than 60 years old, with little in the way of updates are my second.

Thank goodness for the Skyview in Belleville and the Hi Pointe here in StL. The Tivoli is ok but has been a little too updated inside for my liking. It's tolerable though.

There was this cinema I used to go to (Back in Australia) as a child and teen that literally had bats (flying foxes) get in from time to time and hang out in the rafters. The place was usually packed because tickets were so cheap, but it didn't keep the cobwebs or smell of dust at bay. I loved that place ♡♡♡

I was beyond devastated when they condemned and demolished it... I started going to another old (well, slightly newer, 1940s as opposed to 1920s) theater instead that had received no face lift. .. But then that one burnt down... And then they demolished my drive in, too, in favor of houses Unhappy days!

Drive-ins were my favorite too.
Did you know a 1968 Chrysler 300 could hold 4 people in the trunk?

Old 06-21-2014, 11:39 PM

This would be a good thread for anyone to post any drive-in or indoor theatre experiences that stand out in their memory. Here is one of mine. My parents had all of us with them at the drive-in when the weather turned crappy, there was lightning, high winds, tornado warnings and it began to pour rain with golf ball size hail. We pulled the speaker all the way in so we could shut the window. Fools began honking their horns even though the movie kept playing. I don't know if the projectionist fled for safety and left the projector running or he figured " The Show Must Go On " The storm lasted about 20 minutes then the sky cleared up and we finished watching the movie. I remember the old man checking his car for hail damage the next morning but never found any.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:54 AM

1,709 posts, read 2,165,926 times
All this talk about drive in theatres makes me wonder-why don't they make them anymore? I feel like the novelty of them would make a newly built one be rather profitable. That's just me though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
View detailed profiles of: