Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2014, 08:12 PM

512 posts, read 1,636,278 times

Advertisements

Good day folks,

My wife recently surprised me with a trip to St. Louis this past weekend. Our curiosity was peaked by the wonderful offerings of Sweetie Pie's. Thanks OWN (Oprah's Network). After coming from the airport, the Mrs and I quickly raced to Sweetie Pie's only to be slowed down by ridiculous lines. Needless to say I was a little pissed by the hour and a half wait. I've had better soul food, but I thought it was a good restaurant. Well since this isn't a food review I'll fast forward to the highlights.

Highlights of the trip

- Going to the Arch
- Indoor Rock Climbing downtown (forgot the building)
- Crown Candy (wonderful Malt Shakes)
- Highway 61 Roadhouse (Cajun restaurant in Webster Grove)
- Pappy's Smokehouse (good BBQ, had better in Memphis)
- Strolling through the loop, CWE, Grand Center, Downtown and Old North St Louis
- Going on a tour through Downtown, Soulard and Lafayette Square

All in All St. Louis surprised me. I didn't really have any expectations from visiting other than to just hit up Sweetie Pies. I really was surprised by the beauty of the buildings, how easy it was to get around town, the amount of things to do for both adults and families. It was a great trip more than I expected. While it was a great time, the one thing I noticed was the city seem a bit divided between black and white people. Disclaimer: I'm African-American and I grew up in the Washington DC area. Going to the different restaurants and different parts of town (Chesterfield and Webster Grove), I felt as if people didn't think I belonged there. I'm use to diversity and everybody hanging together. It didn't really seem like different races intermingled with each other; other than the Loop. I could be wrong in my assumption. If you feel I'm incorrect in my assessment, then feel free to add your opinion.

After visiting each city I like to write a post about my journey. St. Louis is definitely a city with an identity and soul. I hope the city continues moving forward. Peace everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 08:42 PM

203 posts, read 271,484 times
I think you're quite perceptive. And I'm very sorry that you felt the way you did at some places. Thanks for visiting and for the overall kind words.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:35 AM

208 posts, read 236,111 times
I think you pose a very complex question, with regards to feeling out of place, and it requires an equally complex answer. Probably best to leave that to the sociologists to answer properly.

Old 07-26-2014, 04:06 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,689,514 times
You hit so many of my favorites! Sounds like a great trip from that aspect. I've only been to Sweetie Pie's before the TV show started...even then, it was pretty crowded. I'd say your observations of the racial divide is fairly accurate. I am often embaressed by what some people feel comfortable saying to me as a white female. I'm surprised a little by the Webster Groves comment because most people see that as one of the more inclusive areas of town.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:31 PM

512 posts, read 1,636,278 times
I agree it was a great trip. I would love to comeback and bring my little ones. The city is definitely on my radar to return. Who knows maybe i'll fall in love with the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis