Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you think is most true? (pick more than one)
The officer did not commit murder, he was in imminent danger. 84 62.69%
Police are guilty of murder and we have the RIGHT to be in the streets! 12 8.96%
In light of the volitility, a curfew is understandable. 47 35.07%
Police should wear body cameras at all times. 74 55.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 08:08 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,866,481 times

Advertisements

Has anybody read Jonathan Kozol's Savage Inequalities recently?

I think one part of the problem is these rioter's education or lack thereof. Unfortunately, predominantly African American communities have always got the fuzzy end of the lollipop when it comes to quality education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 08:11 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,019,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
I've seen quite a lot of footage of children at the protests. One photo that was circulating showed a child, maybe 7 or 8, in the QT while it was being looted the first night. It's horrible that parents would expose their children to this- and put their children's lives in danger in the process!
But we wonder how the cycle of poverty, lack of education, and lack of options persists...I'm pretty sure it has something to do with parents who don't know how to parent, and likely weren't parented well themselves.

When I was a teenager, I could barely get ANYWHERE without my folks first knowing exactly what I was going to do, and when I was going to be home. I can remember asking to go to a "party" on several occasions, and the response by my mom "sure, I need the phone number so I can call their parents before hand to check it all out." Seemed to work pretty well to keep me out of trouble. So, I wonder how many folks are out there causing a ruckus under the age of 18, and their parents are just letting them run.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:13 AM

367 posts, read 765,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
National Guard is called to come in.
+1

The 175th Military Police Battalion is in day five of their ten day exercise at Ft. Leonard Wood, MO. It's part of each National Guard unit's two week annual training. It's widely expected their training will be modified to prepare for operations in and around Ferguson to assist the unified command under the guidance or Missouri Highway Patrol (MHP) Cpt. Ron Johnson.

The battalion consists of four companies from various cities in Missouri. Executive order 14-09 allows the Adjutant General (commander of the state National Guard) to mobilize and support civilian authorities. The Superintendent of the MHP is given authority to take traffic measures necessary to maintain peace and order.

Linky: https://governor.mo.gov/sites/defaul...er%2014-09.pdf

Old 08-18-2014, 08:31 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
But we wonder how the cycle of poverty, lack of education, and lack of options persists...I'm pretty sure it has something to do with parents who don't know how to parent, and likely weren't parented well themselves.

When I was a teenager, I could barely get ANYWHERE without my folks first knowing exactly what I was going to do, and when I was going to be home. I can remember asking to go to a "party" on several occasions, and the response by my mom "sure, I need the phone number so I can call their parents before hand to check it all out." Seemed to work pretty well to keep me out of trouble. So, I wonder how many folks are out there causing a ruckus under the age of 18, and their parents are just letting them run.
I think it's the whole culture of that way of life. The parents live it and the kids imitate their parents.

I grew up in a different time. I graduated from high school in the mid-70s. My parents gave me a lot of freedom, but I didn't abuse that freedom. My parents were hardworking people, didn't drink, were always working or at home. When I was in high school I got good grades and always had a job and when not at school or working, I was hanging out with my friends. Hanging out talking on summer nights, no doing anything wild or bad or illegal. But if there had been one report of me being involved in something bad or illegal, I'm pretty sure my freedom would have ended. I saw my parents living a quiet life where they went to work and came home and worked in the yard and garden and took care of the kids and didn't cause any trouble, so that was my framework for the way life is supposed to be.

When I talked about the culture of a way of life, things just are different in different places. You know what you grow up with. When my kids were growing up, I expected them to follow the rules - like no underage drinking. I saw other people, including some friends of mine, who lived in another area of the same city where the parents didn't have a problem with giving their underage kids alcohol. And maybe it's not so much the area of the city as just the individual values of the parents. But I never understood that. How do you teach your kids that the rules in society apply to everyone, including them, if you say "Oh, but I will buy you some beer if you want some...." I don't get that.

But anyway, in the case of Ferguson, I think it's parents who grew up a certain way and are raising their kids the same way. That's what they know. I mean, in some homes a kid is expected to stay out of trouble and graduate from college because that's what their parents did. It's a family expectation. In some families people hang out in the streets, grow up without fathers, live on public assistance, get involved with drugs, have children at an early age,, and repeat the cycle.

And I will go out on a limb and say that a lot of those people blame white people and police for their lot in life, when really it's their own failure to do something different and get different results. Which is exactly why I evolved to be conservative over the years (started out as a young just able to vote independent because I was determined not to be bound by conservative or liberal values, but to think for myself - but it just so happened that over the years I realized I was so much more aligned with conservative values) - because I don't think the solution is to continue social programs, but to try to help people become able to help themselves. As long as you continue to support them financially, they have no incentive to do so themselves. I think the same thing about poor white people who are in a cycle of poverty. because it's rampant there too. But the poor people don't blame white people and the police so much as they blame corporate America/rich people.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:06 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
I've seen quite a lot of footage of children at the protests. One photo that was circulating showed a child, maybe 7 or 8, in the QT while it was being looted the first night. It's horrible that parents would expose their children to this- and put their children's lives in danger in the process!
I can top that. Last night on CNN they showed protesters putting on gas masks, one was a young white woman who was clearly several months pregnant. WTH is wrong with her? At the very least she could get knocked down in a scuffle or worse.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:32 AM

10,020 posts, read 8,638,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I can top that. Last night on CNN they showed protesters putting on gas masks, one was a young white woman who was clearly several months pregnant. WTH is wrong with her? At the very least she could get knocked down in a scuffle or worse.
This autopsy report doesn't look good. The way they presented it I won't be surprised if they don't wait till dark to riot tonight. I wonder if that's why they're bringing in the Guard?

Old 08-18-2014, 09:33 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,813,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine_565 View Post
A better strategy, is to simply mobilize a boycott against the businesses that do not respect the community.

How do you define "respect the community"?

It seems to me that some people going into Ferguson are acting like it is some big party. I also wouldn't be surprised if there were more than a few white college students caught up in some "revolution fever".

Old 08-18-2014, 10:00 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post

It seems to me that some people going into Ferguson are acting like it is some big party. I also wouldn't be surprised if there were more than a few white college students caught up in some "revolution fever".
Well the ones shown last night putting on gas masks and had their faces covered with bandanas were white and were definitely in the age range of college students.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:45 AM

68 posts, read 119,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbyBobble View Post
Breaking: preliminary autopsy reveals he was shot at least 6 times.
And what about drug content. Was anything mentioned about that?

Old 08-18-2014, 11:04 AM

10,020 posts, read 8,638,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post

They were interviewing this little guy who sounded like he was from India last night on the local news.
His kwiki mart which is located in Dellwood got trashed and looted. He asked the reporter,
" Why did they do this? I didn't do anything to Michael Brown. " When the interview was over, he crawled back thru the busted out window, turned off the lights and stayed in his store. Probably armed to the teeth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis