Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 01:01 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,022,474 times

Advertisements

Ferguson eclipses discussion of St. Louis city-county merger : News

...instead suggests focus should be on consolidating some of the north county municipalities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 01:38 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,605,245 times
City-county merger is probably more important regionally, but merging NoCo municipalities is probably more relevant to the Ferguson issues.

Old 12-15-2014, 01:42 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,677,911 times
^ I support both.

Old 12-15-2014, 01:45 PM

589 posts, read 1,108,507 times
And spend the $$ saved by eliminating duplicate jobs by investing in the police force. Maybe get them off the I-70 speed traps and better patrol violent crime. End rant

Old 12-15-2014, 03:11 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,605,245 times
I can only imagine the wonder that would be a unified STL Metro PD, as opposed to 60 departments and the associated fly-by-night shenanigans. Not that such has been proposed by anyone.

Old 12-15-2014, 03:26 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,022,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
I can only imagine the wonder that would be a unified STL Metro PD, as opposed to 60 departments and the associated fly-by-night shenanigans. Not that such has been proposed by anyone.
I really question if that would improve or worsen policing.

You have some very professional, well-trained and well-paid police departments in St. Louis County (Kirkwood, Webster, Clayton, etc.).

Is your response time going to improve in these areas if you have some massive single police department over the whole area? Are officers really going to get to know the areas in which they serve with a single department? I doubt it.

Old 12-15-2014, 05:03 PM

1,478 posts, read 2,415,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
I really question if that would improve or worsen policing.

You have some very professional, well-trained and well-paid police departments in St. Louis County (Kirkwood, Webster, Clayton, etc.).

Is your response time going to improve in these areas if you have some massive single police department over the whole area? Are officers really going to get to know the areas in which they serve with a single department? I doubt it.
There are ways to allocate services, take the cost savings, and toss that into high crime areas if done carefully. You could combine similar caliber pds and precinct them at their current boundaries to get the same service and community feel. Toss the cost savings on the admin side to communities that need it. The more troubled communities could consolidate too. Then you've got two cost savings streams they can work with to beef up or start using other methods like different social support services.

The big issue aren't the Kirkwood and Webster sized munis. It's the really small ones like the Vinitas of the area.

Old 12-15-2014, 05:29 PM

208 posts, read 236,195 times
The city asking to merge with the county is like the deadbeat unemployed gambling addicted pothead brother-in-law asking to merge his family finances with yours.

Old 12-15-2014, 06:01 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,677,911 times
^There seems to always be a big push by some to paint the situation in the city as bad as possible... Screams of the bankrupt city (which last time I checked still had a balanced budget and credit rating...) wanting the perfect county to pay for all of its problems... The city does have a lot of problems, but sheesh hasn't anyone noticed that the county is a bit of a time bomb?

Old 12-15-2014, 06:06 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,750,268 times
It wouldn't surprise me if the City were reconsidering its bid to re-enter the County. I think a lot of people are starting to see the writing on the wall for St. Louis County and the City may not be so keen to jump aboard that sinking ship anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis