Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 11:55 PM

241 posts, read 222,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickmama View Post
Petty crime and homeless do exist but if you are aware of your surroundings there isn't much to worry about. I have never been a victim of crime and know some homeless individuals by name.
I don't equate the above with safe, but I'm not a proponent of loft living. I find there are much more safe, walkable, hip and up-and-coming neighborhoods and when you use words like "best" it threw me off a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 08:24 AM

1,117 posts, read 2,929,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMDWRECK View Post
I don't equate the above with safe, but I'm not a proponent of loft living. I find there are much more safe, walkable, hip and up-and-coming neighborhoods and when you use words like "best" it threw me off a bit.
One can be unsure of safety because they are unfamiliar with the area and setting. Sometimes the lack of familiarity can morph into uncomfortableness thinking the area is unsafe. As many become more familiar safety concerns diminish.

You also called Maplewood a slum which is highly inaccurate, misleading, and unfair to the original poster but whatever.

I am supplying accurate information and recommending downtown based on my 7 years of experience of loft living that fits the posters profile. Not random generalizations and perceptions. Have a great day.

Old 04-20-2015, 01:07 PM

662 posts, read 1,050,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickmama View Post
One can be unsure of safety because they are unfamiliar with the area and setting. Sometimes the lack of familiarity can morph into uncomfortableness thinking the area is unsafe. As many become more familiar safety concerns diminish.

You also called Maplewood a slum which is highly inaccurate, misleading, and unfair to the original poster but whatever.

I am supplying accurate information and recommending downtown based on my 7 years of experience of loft living that fits the posters profile. Not random generalizations and perceptions. Have a great day.
Who would call Maplewood a slum?

Old 09-10-2015, 02:06 PM

5 posts, read 9,896 times
Default OP Follow Up

Thanks for the feedback everyone, Here's an update.

We've ended up choosing a place in Grand Center because if a combination of factors.

1. The crime maps indicated that this is a pretty safe neighborhood (low rates of violent crime)

2. We're told this is one of the main art districts (I know the Fox and Art Museum are both just down the street)

3. The grocery store is only a few blocks away

4. Smack dab between downtown and forest park and just a few blocks from the Central West End

I appreciate everyones input, we've had fun checking out several of the neighborhoods mentioned here and discovered that we have friends who live in Maplewood so we've been enjoying that area quite a bit as well.

We're enjoying our new home and haven't regretted the move yet (although we definitely miss the ocean).

Old 09-11-2015, 09:09 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,432,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMDWRECK View Post
I find it hilarious that you would even group MapleWood aka MapleHood in with those up-and-coming areas like CWE and the Loop (which technically isn't in the city limits either, it's located in university city.) Maplewood is super residential, slummy with no night life. If i were to live in that area I'd choose Richmond Heights.
You have no idea what you're talking about. Maplewood has a great bar district and is a super fun place to live

Old 09-11-2015, 09:10 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,432,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDeveloper View Post

We've ended up choosing a place in Grand Center because if a combination of factors.

1. The crime maps indicated that this is a pretty safe neighborhood (low rates of violent crime)

2. We're told this is one of the main art districts (I know the Fox and Art Museum are both just down the street)

4. Smack dab between downtown and forest park and just a few blocks from the Central West End

I appreciate everyones input, we've had fun checking out several of the neighborhoods mentioned here and discovered that we have friends who live in Maplewood so we've been enjoying that area quite a bit as well.

We're enjoying our new home and haven't regretted the move yet (although we definitely miss the ocean).
I do a lot of theater work in that area; not a bad place at all, nice choice

Old 09-12-2015, 09:11 PM

488 posts, read 858,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDeveloper View Post

One of my favourite coffee shops is near there - Cafe Ventana. If you haven't already, I recommend checking it out.

As long as you have private parking, that area is fun.

Old 09-13-2015, 11:25 AM

1,117 posts, read 2,929,476 times
Great choice

Old 09-16-2015, 09:51 AM

29 posts, read 34,704 times
I am surprised that you were able to find a decent 1-bed in 600 to 700 range. Is it really 600 to 700 range?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis