Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2016, 03:53 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,016,699 times

Advertisements

http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/m...n-station.html

Hadn't see this discussed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 08:59 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
I think its a good idea. A destination hotel type place is good for Union Station. The concept isn't something you will see in Indianapolis, Nashville or Kansas City.

By Metrolink being at Union Station gives it an extra boost having access to other attractions like Bush Stadium, Riverfront, Forest Park, Galleria, National Blues History museum and Lambert.

We've got many great things going for us in this ole rust belt city that could make us a fantastic regional destination at the very least that no other cities have outside of Chicago within a 400 mile radius.

Last edited by mjtinmemphis; 01-19-2016 at 09:18 PM..

Old 01-20-2016, 04:17 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,150,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I think its a good idea. A destination hotel type place is good for Union Station. The concept isn't something you will see in Indianapolis, Nashville or Kansas City.

By Metrolink being at Union Station gives it an extra boost having access to other attractions like Bush Stadium, Riverfront, Forest Park, Galleria, National Blues History museum and Lambert.

We've got many great things going for us in this ole rust belt city that could make us a fantastic regional destination at the very least that no other cities have outside of Chicago within a 400 mile radius.
Besides the crowne plaza at union station with train car hotel rooms. The stl concept could work barring what's nearby. Indy us used to have the family theme until circle city mall killed it but the grand hall still used for events plus it is a train station still.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:36 AM

1,478 posts, read 2,413,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Besides the crowne plaza at union station with train car hotel rooms. The stl concept could work barring what's nearby. Indy us used to have the family theme until circle city mall killed it but the grand hall still used for events plus it is a train station still.
Was about to say the same thing until I paged down. Indy also has Georgia Street as a flexible space for street fests and concerts adjacent to Union Station.

I like the general idea presented by LHM, but we're really just talking about variations on similar themes for similar spaces around the country. The plan seems to be fairly cohesive and it includes a longer list of potential attractions, but the underlying weakness of Union Station in STL continues to be location. There is nothing else around it apart from some government buildings and greenspace to the north. The Market St. streetscape pretty much sucks for pedestrians. I'd like to see a mixture of uses developed as part of a cohesive plan to anchor the site with better support.

Time will tell, but I'm skeptical.

One thing I came across a couple days ago was a concept for an MLS facility whose form would fit nicely next to the train shed:

SPACE Architecture + Design | An MLS Stadium as Better Urban Infill and the

Yeah, I know we just went through the fatigue of the Rams stadium, but the dollars probably work for this much better. For the riverfront stadium to have been taken seriously, we would have needed to pump in an extra $100 million to offset what we were asking from the NFL in excess of what they provide within their standard stadium packages. We also would have needed to cover cost overruns, which would have been another $50 million conservatively.

The true cost of the stadium (net of state funding, PSLs, naming rights, and he who shall not be named's hypothetical contribution) would have been in the range of $250 million for the NFL stadium with no ability to use tax funds to offset the cost (because the NFL keeps that).

Total cost of an MLS venue would be $150 million. Including naming rights and a greatly diminished state contribution, we'd be looking at $115 million. LHM is spending a fortune to upgrade Union Station and they went on record as wanting an MLS stadium on the site originally. You can bet they'd love to have over 300,000 visitors from MLS a year. That number of people at 20 bucks a head in retail/bar spending would equate to an appreciation in the property of over $100 million. If they chipped in $60 million, that's still a great return for them. With sports fans from the county no longer contemplating those PSLs the Rams were going to require for the new stadium, it would probably be much easier to go back to the well with the county and get $15 million.

The city's cost would be down to $40 million, which would be completely manageable, considering they would get to keep the ticket and sales tax revenue, they'd get to anchor Union Station with something that guarantees attendance, and they'd have the opportunity to maybe go out and get some TOD funding to start to build some things up around the MetroLink stop there.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:48 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago76 View Post
Was about to say the same thing until I paged down. Indy also has Georgia Street as a flexible space for street fests and concerts adjacent to Union Station.

I like the general idea presented by LHM, but we're really just talking about variations on similar themes for similar spaces around the country. The plan seems to be fairly cohesive and it includes a longer list of potential attractions, but the underlying weakness of Union Station in STL continues to be location. There is nothing else around it apart from some government buildings and greenspace to the north. The Market St. streetscape pretty much sucks for pedestrians. I'd like to see a mixture of uses developed as part of a cohesive plan to anchor the site with better support.

Time will tell, but I'm skeptical.

One thing I came across a couple days ago was a concept for an MLS facility whose form would fit nicely next to the train shed:

SPACE Architecture + Design | An MLS Stadium as Better Urban Infill and the

Yeah, I know we just went through the fatigue of the Rams stadium, but the dollars probably work for this much better. For the riverfront stadium to have been taken seriously, we would have needed to pump in an extra $100 million to offset what we were asking from the NFL in excess of what they provide within their standard stadium packages. We also would have needed to cover cost overruns, which would have been another $50 million conservatively.

The true cost of the stadium (net of state funding, PSLs, naming rights, and he who shall not be named's hypothetical contribution) would have been in the range of $250 million for the NFL stadium with no ability to use tax funds to offset the cost (because the NFL keeps that).

Total cost of an MLS venue would be $150 million. Including naming rights and a greatly diminished state contribution, we'd be looking at $115 million. LHM is spending a fortune to upgrade Union Station and they went on record as wanting an MLS stadium on the site originally. You can bet they'd love to have over 300,000 visitors from MLS a year. That number of people at 20 bucks a head in retail/bar spending would equate to an appreciation in the property of over $100 million. If they chipped in $60 million, that's still a great return for them. With sports fans from the county no longer contemplating those PSLs the Rams were going to require for the new stadium, it would probably be much easier to go back to the well with the county and get $15 million.

The city's cost would be down to $40 million, which would be completely manageable, considering they would get to keep the ticket and sales tax revenue, they'd get to anchor Union Station with something that guarantees attendance, and they'd have the opportunity to maybe go out and get some TOD funding to start to build some things up around the MetroLink stop there.
This would be nice for Union Station and Downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
View detailed profiles of: