Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2016, 06:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,031 times

Advertisements

Anyone know of a friendly neighborhood (I'm thinking of a subdivision or street) in West Country? I'd actually be up for moving to the city too. I am thinking of someplace neighbors actually get together socially. We moved 3 years ago and have yet to make any connections in our neighborhood despite trying. I've been told this is pretty typical of St. Louis but there must be an exception. Help! I am really fed up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 06:54 AM

33 posts, read 44,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulips24 View Post
Anyone know of a friendly neighborhood (I'm thinking of a subdivision or street) in West Country? I'd actually be up for moving to the city too. I am thinking of someplace neighbors actually get together socially. We moved 3 years ago and have yet to make any connections in our neighborhood despite trying. I've been told this is pretty typical of St. Louis but there must be an exception. Help! I am really fed up.
There are some good places I've seen during my search, housing market is pretty flooded right now in west county (there is also lack of inventory) and there seems to be low inventory. I'd advise waiting for the predicted 2016 crash to clear the market of the people who shouldn't be out buying (and some investors), so have a good chance at finding that winner neighborhood without any trouble.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:25 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,397,493 times
I think my friends in Kirkwood have the most neighborhood cohesion. Id look for a place with smaller lots and a neighborhood pool or common area. I live in a neighborhood with huge lots and it does create less day to day connection. We like our big lot though, and not a big deal for us.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:49 AM

1,912 posts, read 4,688,883 times
Things I focused on when looking: smaller lots, minimal attached garages, active neighborhood association, common public spaces that are actually used, strong Catholic parish (may not apply to everyone, obviously). Worked for us, we moved to Dogtown (STL city) about 2 years ago and we've made a ton of new friends with fairly minimal effort. Pretty much, we just introduced ourselves to our immediate neighbors, attend neighborhood association meetings/get togethers, and joined the young professional group at church, and boom, like 15 new friends within a year.

Old 02-08-2016, 12:41 PM

1,767 posts, read 1,742,996 times
Webster Groves

Old 02-08-2016, 01:59 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,602,240 times
I think the question is, what do you like to do and where do people live who would do that? That could mean neighborhood pool, church, park within walking distance, bar or whatever else. Aside from that, cross your fingers that you move next to people with common interests and that they don't move away anytime soon.

Old 02-08-2016, 03:52 PM

383 posts, read 392,409 times
Maplewood is a great area, too.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:54 PM

3 posts, read 2,941 times
In my opinion, city neighborhoods are the best designed for making friends. South Hampton, St. Louis hills, Tower Grove, Shaw, The Hill, Dogtown, and Lafayette Square have great neighborhood amenities that not only make living there great, but also help build community. They all have active neighborhood associations and events also. Those markets can be expensive, I would recommend Tower Grove East and Bevo if you're looking for a safe neighborhood that's cheaper. A purchase in TGE or Bevo would payoff nicely in future resale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis