Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 03:30 PM

19 posts, read 29,270 times

Advertisements

We are moving and St. Peters is one town we are getting information on. Can you tell me your overall thoughts on this area? We like a vibrant, dynamic, "alive" neighborhood, whether it's a small town or large city. We are open and creative people and enjoy culture, nature, & cuisine. Possible employment in St Peters, and do t mind driving 20 min or so, but don't want to live commuting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 03:53 PM

203 posts, read 271,374 times
When I think of St. Peters, I think of affordable housing with lots of young families. So it's vibrant, dynamic, and alive in that sense, but maybe that's not what you meant. I really wouldn't associate St. Peters with culture (I assume you mean concerts, visual arts, gardens, etc.) or cuisine (I assume you mean good food) or creativity. In fact, it's basically anti-creative in the sense that it's been built to resemble far-flung suburbs that can be found all over America.

Old 04-14-2016, 04:18 PM

108 posts, read 284,534 times
From your description I'd recommend working in St. Peters but looking to live closer to St. Louis City. It's suburbia... chain restaurants... large mall... middle class housing. Depending on where you would be working in St. Peters, University City would be a possibility. It's under 20 miles at least from the south part of St. Peters to University City via 364 and Page. Having made that drive before, myself, during rush hour, it does take more like a half hour though. Even if working in St. Peters, you'd probably be going into St. Louis for culture. From University City you have public transit options and even by car it's not that long of a drive into the city.

Old 04-14-2016, 04:42 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,396,474 times
St Peters is very typical middle class suburbia. Old St Charles might be a better fit if you don't want to commute over the river.

Old 04-14-2016, 05:08 PM

685 posts, read 767,344 times
For an easy commute, stick to St. Charles County. The drawback? Housing options are limited in St. Charles County. It is mostly suburban tract development. However, it does have a few unique areas: Old St. Charles, Winghaven, New Town, and Lake St. Louis. Consider these places if you want to avoid standard tract housing.

However, as others have said, St. Charles County is a great place for families. There are a lot of young middle-class families. It is booming in that regard.

West of I-170, St. Louis County is largely identical to St. Charles County: suburban tract housing.

Old 04-14-2016, 07:25 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,254,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caneroa View Post
We are moving and St. Peters is one town we are getting information on. Can you tell me your overall thoughts on this area? We like a vibrant, dynamic, "alive" neighborhood, whether it's a small town or large city. We are open and creative people and enjoy culture, nature, & cuisine. Possible employment in St Peters, and do t mind driving 20 min or so, but don't want to live commuting.
How about Cottleville? It's adjacent to St. Peters. The downtown is small but vibrant, great shopping is within a 5 minute drive. Great walking trails and it's pet friendly. Cottleville sponsors a St. Patrick's Day Parade which the community really supports. St Charles Community College has great fine arts offerings, food truck events and a nice life long education program. The public schools are great, too.

City Of Cottleville

Old 04-15-2016, 05:48 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,748,274 times
I don't think many people would associate St. Peters with good culture, cuisine, or vibrancy. It's pretty much mile after mile of tract housing, strip malls, and chain restaurants. I'm going to sound like a broken record here, but if you're looking for some suburban vibrancy, look at the closer suburbs--University City, Clayton, Richmond Heights, Brentwood, Webster Groves, and Kirkwood. You might also want to check out the Main Street St. Charles area.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:46 AM

1,370 posts, read 1,069,542 times
Can you tell us a little more about your situation? Do you have kids? Public vs private schools desired? Housing budget? That will all help.

Old 04-15-2016, 06:11 PM

164 posts, read 377,588 times
St. Peters is a snooze. Lived there for a few years (girlfriend) and got out ASAP. Schools are fine, but boring, look alike subdivisions galore, no actual "town", and chains galore. Not for me!

Old 05-08-2016, 07:42 PM

19 posts, read 29,270 times
Thanks so much for the info. I think we may be heading toward another state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis