Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 05:33 PM

3,618 posts, read 3,054,504 times

Advertisements

This is whats wrong with St. Charles County - too many gun nuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 08:20 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,339,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
This is whats wrong with St. Charles County - too many gun nuts.
What's wrong with that? St. Louis county also has a lot of gun shops and gun ranges as well. I miss that part about living there. Some nice indoor ranges and a lot of gun shops to choose from.

Old 01-25-2017, 05:08 AM

3,618 posts, read 3,054,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
What's wrong with that? St. Louis county also has a lot of gun shops and gun ranges as well. I miss that part about living there. Some nice indoor ranges and a lot of gun shops to choose from.
I'm just funnin' ya. Personally, I choose to avoid them, but I kind of get that most people like guns. It is a little odd, though, how the thread devolved into a gun rights debate, right?

Old 01-25-2017, 05:09 PM

42 posts, read 52,220 times
I'm one of those who used to put down St Charles, and I never thought I'd live here. But 2 years in, I am loving it!

I know a lot of people move here because they want to raise a family. That's the stereotype. But my husband and I are in our 40s, have no kids, enjoy culture/concerts/restaurants etc, and somehow this has worked out perfectly for us.

We live right near the beautiful Katy Trail so we can walk our dogs there. We're also minutes from Streets of St. Charles, a newer development with movie theater/restaurants, and historic Main Street, a lovely old area with more restaurants, fun events & unique retail shops.

I'm not a big fan of the newer housing in St. Charles but there are plenty of nice pockets with older houses and more character. I have a 70s ranch on a 1/2 acre backing to woods. I also help people find unique properties as a realtor so I've seen some incredible homes out here. Definitely not soulless and bland.

St. Charles has excellent libraries, low crime, clean streets, tons of walking trails & green space, numerous dog parks, 2 farmers markets, plentiful "big box" retail, good thrift stores & antiquing, 2 large concert venues, good schools/colleges/continuing ed, a rich history dating to the 1700s, and one of the best river views in the St. Louis area. (I wish the soil was better for gardening but I can roll with it!)

Of course, if you want an urban, walkable, "hip" neighborhood, St. Charles is probably not for you. But for me, it has been wonderful. I drive all over St. Louis for work so living off the 364 corridor could not be more convenient. I can be nearly anywhere in St. Louis city or county in less than 30 minutes. And when I get back home, it's so peaceful! We even have bluebirds at our bird feeders

So I say thumbs up for St. Chuck!

Last edited by HowardTeam; 01-25-2017 at 06:11 PM..

Old 01-29-2017, 07:40 PM

2 posts, read 3,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosBritoSTLGod View Post
Absolutely!!!! STC is AWESOME!!! So is South and the vast majority of West STL County!!
I lived in Oakville for a decade and loved it, worked with people (other transplants) that lived in St. Louis City and bitched about their cars/houses/property being damaged or broken into...well DUHHHH...
Carlos is right (and as CEO of your beer maker, he must be right).
The BEST of St. Charles County lies in New Town, a decade ago we were the smartest relocators in the area, a shining, new clean community away from the crime (STL City), the stagnation and lameness (North STL County), the invalid self-absorbed snottiness and pretentiousness from old money trust babies (West STL County), and the safety but strange vibes (STL South County).

Old 04-21-2019, 07:52 AM

2 posts, read 1,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
I have friends that live in St. Charles County and love it (except for the commute).

We attended a Trivia Night there once (look up "St. Louis Trivia Nights", they are a blast!). Anyway, there were 300 people there and all but one of them were white. I'm not saying they are racist. But coming from California, that is just creepy to me.

Would you feel the same was if it was reversed?

Old 06-24-2019, 09:40 AM

1 posts, read 929 times
There is nothing wrong with this area. Moved to Saint Peters/St Charles County in 1999 and love it. Close enough to travel to anything going on in surrounding areas. This area in St Charles County has grown a lot in this period of time. You can do almost anything here in this area. I drove as a hospice nurse since 1999 and have been to every surrounding county and all of STL county and city. I also worked at BJC Hospital downtown for the hospice and commuted from St Peters for along time. Worked at all the STL based BJC hospitals as needed and drove from St Peters. I still consider this the best place for me.

Old 06-24-2019, 02:53 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
I live in St. Peters. I've lived in St. Charles County for most of my life. My parents moved to St. Charles in 1970...and here we are, all these years later.

Culturally, we DON'T have the same landmarks, places of interest, etc., that the STL city has. Some people would say we're more boring. We DON'T have Fox Theatre, we DON'T have the St. Louis Zoo, or a Forest Park, the Cardinals don't play ball in St. Peters, the Blues don't play hockey in St. Peters, etc.

BUT St. Peters is a great place to raise a family. We have excellent schools, and we are certainly driving distance to just about anything you'd want to do.

If you're coming from an urban setting we WILL be noticeably white. Are we all racist? I don't THINK so. ARE there racists? Yeah. There are racists everywhere. I might be Pollyannish in that regard...but I think a non-white family could be happy here.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:39 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,966,855 times
I guess for people who like suburbia, St Charles is nice. I don't think it is fair to say every one in St Charles is racist now.

Old 06-27-2019, 04:19 PM

685 posts, read 767,344 times
St Charles is a nice suburban area. In a way, it reminds me of how the Valley in L.A. used to be.

The appeal is strong for families and rightfully so. Good schools, low crime, cheaper real estate.

I do think it could've been built to higher standard though. I was recently out west and I was impressed with how well planned the newer areas were. It seemed like all the subdivisions had parks, sidewalks, and fitness paths. And there was a lot of "scenery" moving on those paths. We have a areas in StL like that, but St. Charles is not one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis