Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2019, 07:56 AM

5 posts, read 3,073 times

Advertisements

A couple years ago I moved into a recently built apartment complex (won't mention the name), thinking that after several insect infestations in an older complex (everything from wasps to crickets to a blowfly infestation to clothes moths to giant spiders), and living on a higher floor, my problems would be over.

Nope. I have a cricket infestation on the third floor in this apartment. I'm sure the fact that the building has openings to the outside, allowing crickets to just walk right into the building (there are bugs everywhere in that area outside the actual apartments), doesn't help.

But what I gather is that it doesn't matter how high up you live...if they can find an opening into a wall somewhere in the building, they're going to colonize the whole building and crawl into any apartment they want, as they will then scale once they're inside the walls.

Does anyone know of or live in a place that they have been in for at least several years where they haven't really seen any bugs? A few months or one year doesn't count. The true test is if you have been there for several summers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2019, 05:57 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,041,065 times
I've never lived in an apartment with a bug problem. I've lived in Maplewood, Dogtown, and now Chesterfield. I've never even heard of anyone else having issues with bugs.

Old 09-03-2019, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I've never lived in an apartment with a bug problem. I've lived in Maplewood, Dogtown, and now Chesterfield. I've never even heard of anyone else having issues with bugs.
Define "not a bug problem." How many crickets do you get in your apartment per year?

Old 09-03-2019, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelDouglas93 View Post
Define "not a bug problem." How many crickets do you get in your apartment per year?
I've never seen crickets in any place I've lived. The only bugs are the occasional moth or mosquitoes that get in from opening the door at night. Even having a fly in the apartment is extremely rare.

Old 09-03-2019, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I've never seen crickets in any place I've lived. The only bugs are the occasional moth or mosquitoes that get in from opening the door at night. Even having a fly in the apartment is extremely rare.
Hard to believe. In my entire life, dating back to living in 4 different houses with my parents growing up, I have never NOT seen a cricket in my house here and there.

The only time I never saw a cricket was in college when I lived in the dorms. All 3 apartments I have lived in since, I had at least one per summer.

Old 09-04-2019, 08:38 AM

1,912 posts, read 4,692,236 times
I also never had a bug problem at rentals in STL. I rented by SLU in the city, and in Clayton...but never for more than a year at a time. I hate bugs and this would drive me crazy.

Old 09-04-2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelDouglas93 View Post
Hard to believe. In my entire life, dating back to living in 4 different houses with my parents growing up, I have never NOT seen a cricket in my house here and there.

The only time I never saw a cricket was in college when I lived in the dorms. All 3 apartments I have lived in since, I had at least one per summer.
I have no reason to lie about crickets. I never see them inside. Maybe its the area you live in...

Old 09-10-2019, 07:41 PM

451 posts, read 366,405 times
Gasp! A bug!

Chill out.

I've seen the occasional bug in my place in StL. Never a cricket though

Old 09-16-2019, 09:06 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,026,911 times
We used to get crickets in my childhood home on occasion, they were always just outside the sliding doors. But the home was built in the 50's and the metal framed windows and doors had never been updated, so guarantee there were gaps all over the place.

Only real CRICKET problem I experienced was in college. We had those giant mutant looking crickets in the basement area (never upstairs) but the basement which was unfinished was ALWAYS a nightmare for them. The only real down was the laundry was down there, so you HAD to go downstairs once a week or so.

Current house I'll get a cricket inside every blue moon, but nothing major. Pretty sure they find a gap in the french doors in the basement. Normally find them dead just inside those doors. I spray a barrier down, so it's never an issue of finding hoppers running around the home. Have had a few spiders too, likely from the same gap. But all in all, the house is fairly tight. And luckily, NO INFESTATIONS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
View detailed profiles of: