Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2017, 03:41 PM

1 posts, read 4,137 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are currently physicians at Barnes Hospital. We live in the CWE and have been walking to work. Quite frankly, the crime situation here has been a real issue for us. Multiple car break ins (including in our locked underground garage), the homicide every few weeks that keeps you on edge, and our friends in our building who have been burglarized. We go to and from work and very odd hours given our schedules. We will miss the CWE for the proximity to work and the great bars and restaurants, but it's time for a change.

After doing a significant amount of research, we have decided to start honing in areas West of Forest Park, most notably the DeMun neighborhood (looking at rentals only). From what I gather, this area still has it's share of non-violent property crime and car break ins, but by and large, it seems like violent crime is kept to a minimum. It still seems like a very reasonable commute to Barnes (would have to drive, but we are okay with that). It seems like the area around Skinker Blvd is still technically within city limits, but then the Clayton boundary cuts through the DeMun neighborhood a little west of Skinker. Not sure if this matters at all. We were looking at some apartments on Southwood Ave that seem to fit the bill.

We have two young kids and DeMun at least on the surface seems like a nice neighborhood with parks and people sitting outside on patios enjoying food/coffee. Best of all, we wouldn't have to give up on Forest Park which we love.

If anyone could shed any light on this area, whether they feel safe walking alone at night etc. I would greatly appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 06:03 PM

685 posts, read 766,508 times
I live approx. a half-mile south of DeMun. It's an excellent neighborhood and I wouldn't have any worries. It's a mix of professionals and wealthy families, with a fair number of college students. I jog the area frequently and have never felt unsafe, even at night. Schnucks, convenience stores, and several restaurants are within easy walking distance. I've had many late-night walks from the AMC theater without any trouble.

Rents are slightly higher in Clayton city limits, presumably because the excellent public schools in Clayton. If public schools aren't a concern, then it will not matter which side of the invisible line you live on. Southwood is in the heart of DeMun.

In short, you'll probably like it. Especially the warm Summer evenings, when everybody is outside.

Old 03-10-2017, 09:23 AM

787 posts, read 1,414,101 times
I have a friend (single woman) who's lived in the DeMun neighborhood for years. She LOVES it. She bought a small condo in a four family building on the west side of DeMun near Concordia Seminary. She can walk to Kaldi's and Schnucks, her bank; it's all right there. She has a dog and has made many fellow dog walking friends in the neighborhood. I don't think you could pry her out of DeMun.

I think DeMun would be a great choice for you and your family with the Clayton school district in the 'hood as well.

Old 03-11-2017, 11:28 AM

1,912 posts, read 4,686,641 times
Really nice area. I live just slightly out of walking distance (south of Forest Park), no real worries about violent crime. The car break ins happen on the regular.

Old 05-17-2017, 12:33 PM

24 posts, read 25,691 times
I lived in DeMun on North Rosebury for approx. 5 years back in the late 90's to 2000 era. I loved it...

With that said, there are quite a few students there (very even grad/ undergrad). I don't know if I'd want to live near college students with kids. That's just me.

I actually managed the property I lived in while there (I was an undergrad). I used to research the crime statistics, so I was knowledgeable to potential renters. I do recall that while I was there... There was a single car theft for around a 3 year period. Otherewise, the crime, at least back then, was very minimal.

I was always in and out very late (turning in assignments at 3.00a sometimes or out partying to be frank), and I never felt my safety was threatened.

If you don't mind living in Clayton and want to be near DeMun, I'd recommend the Moorlands. The ratio of professionals to students is greater...

Old 05-19-2017, 04:23 PM

685 posts, read 766,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerStLouisResident View Post
DeMun is a mixed bag - very nice on the surface, but please be safe and keep your wits about you (as with any area in STL City limits):

SLMPD Crime Statistics
3-post Willie strikes again.

Nothing mixed about it. It's one of the best urban areas in St. Louis. Students, professionals, and upper-class folks. Crime isn't really a concern. Neighborhood is always full of life. I recommend it to anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis