Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 12:32 PM

11 posts, read 7,327 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to St. Louis, and I am looking for information on the high schools.

In particular, I noticed that Ladue High School has done really well in Math competitions and one of their students competed in the International Math Olympiad which is very very very impressive. Sometimes kids do this despite schools, and sometimes they do it because they have full support and coaching from teachers.

If you have kids in Ladue's HW High School, I'd be very interested in knowing your experiences--what do you like/dislike about the school? Is academic excellence driven by the parents despite the school or driven by the parents/school as a team? How do they deal with kids who are accelerated in math by a couple of years (yes, I've emailed them, but they're on vacation right now). Are the kids doing math competitions being coached by the school, or just doing it on their own (or as one dept chair once put it "No, we don't help them at all, they're just super motivated.")

Are there other high schools that you think are better for "math kids"? And if you know what the dual enrollment options are for kids who max out the high schools' courses, would love to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 12:38 PM

197 posts, read 265,078 times
I would look at Clayton High School as well.

Old 07-20-2017, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL1980 View Post
I would look at Clayton High School as well.
Do you have kids in Clayton HS? If so, would love to know same thing as above--what do you like/dislike, do you feel that the kids do well academically because of the school or despite the school (and because of parent pressure instead).

Old 07-20-2017, 11:02 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,866,481 times
The St. Louis Post Dispatch recently ran a post about three best high schools for Math in the St. Louis Metro.

Three top 3 were:
1) Parkway West
2) Brentwood
3) Collegiate School of Medicine and Bioscience (magnet school in St. Louis City)

Ladue ranked 4th. Clayton didn't make the Top 10, very surprisingly.

My children are all PreK so I'm no help in that regard. I do have friends with children in Parkway and Ladue SD's though who seem to be very happy overall.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:36 AM

Thanks! I'll look into those (though I don't think my kid is into medicine, but that's really interesting).

Old 07-21-2017, 07:51 AM

321 posts, read 1,004,006 times
My son attended and graduated from LHWHS a few years ago and there are a lot of students there studying very high levels in math. While he was in middle school some of them were taking math at the high school (fortunately very close by) and when he was in high school some of them were taking math courses at WashU since they had completed all the AP math courses at the high school. The high school does coach the math team and they consistently do very well in competitions. My son did not want to compete but he was friends with some who did, and they are a pretty intense group.

Note that the high school is currently under renovation so it is a bit of a mess, but hopefully the renovations will be completed before your kids attend there. The teachers there are quite exceptional and they are used to dealing with high performing students with very demanding parents (which are also prevalent in the district!)

Old 07-21-2017, 08:16 AM

1,912 posts, read 4,689,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
The St. Louis Post Dispatch recently ran a post about three best high schools for Math in the St. Louis Metro.

Three top 3 were:
1) Parkway West
2) Brentwood
3) Collegiate School of Medicine and Bioscience (magnet school in St. Louis City).
My kid is like, 12 years from HS, but my neighbor who works for SLPS as a math teacher insists that Collegiate School for Medicine and Bioscience is the best option in the city and I feel like its barely talked about.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wustu87 View Post
My son attended and graduated from LHWHS a few years ago and there are a lot of students there studying very high levels in math. While he was in middle school some of them were taking math at the high school (fortunately very close by) and when he was in high school some of them were taking math courses at WashU since they had completed all the AP math courses at the high school. The high school does coach the math team and they consistently do very well in competitions. My son did not want to compete but he was friends with some who did, and they are a pretty intense group.

Note that the high school is currently under renovation so it is a bit of a mess, but hopefully the renovations will be completed before your kids attend there. The teachers there are quite exceptional and they are used to dealing with high performing students with very demanding parents (which are also prevalent in the district!)
Thank you! This is VERY helpful. I was wondering about the WashU thing. Do you know how the kids get from the school to WashU? City bus/driving themselves/being driven?

Good to hear about the teachers being used to high performing students. I try hard not to be a tiger parent, but when it comes to kids, it's a lottery, and I got one of the "intense" ones. He's very social, though, so he's much happier if he has a nerdy cohort to hang out with.

How's the emotional environment? Are there a lot of stressed out/suicidal kids feeding off of each others' stress, or can kids enjoy themselves if their parents are laid back about their expectations? I feel like most pressure comes from parents, but I think there are schools where the stress is so pervasive that you could be the most laid back kid in the world, and you'd start feeling stressed because of everyone around you.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiken View Post
My kid is like, 12 years from HS, but my neighbor who works for SLPS as a math teacher insists that Collegiate School for Medicine and Bioscience is the best option in the city and I feel like its barely talked about.
Thanks! Looks like the Magnet is intended to be for future Medical professionals. Sounds like a fantastic option for kids who are going that route, but wouldn't be a good match for my older kids right now. But I'll definitely keep it in mind.

I think we'd also have trouble getting into a magnet right away as we'd probably have to have a house already by the time the lottery happens which I suspect is before the previous school year ends.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:51 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,398,023 times
I just went through a decision process. My kids go to private but we live in Ladue and our friends there love it. I would trust any of the highly rated districts (Ladue, Parkway, Rockwood, Clayton, Brentwood, Kirkwood, Lindbergh , and others I'm sure I'm missing)and many of the private schools to be good for math kids. My son rates in the 98th %ile in math and nothing we looked at gave me any pause. Check their course offerings and extracurricular activities as well as AP level classes in math and make sure your kid is covered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis