Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 10:01 AM

395 posts, read 1,375,391 times

Advertisements

Strawberry lady, I know personally friends from NYC that visited st. louis and fell in love with it...and they were all surprised its not as exploited as it is and shocked of it being a "midwestern" city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 12:59 PM

238 posts, read 332,075 times
As others have pointed out, I think that you'll like St. Louis. It's not as cosmopolitan as NYC, but it does generally have something for everybody and at a fraction of the cost! $250,000 should buy you a pretty nice house,especially if you're willing to do some fixing up.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:18 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,803,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
StL is indeed a great city - and is experiencing some rebirth. She is getting some vision, some influx, and much deserved love and respect. It's a great place to live, and to live. Question though for you... why Saint Louis? Of all the places to 'escape' outta NYC and its confines, to discover yourself and breathe, why not Chicago, San Fran, Boston, Dallas, Denver, etc.? Just curious. In any case, best to you...
Well, why not St. Louis?

Old 03-18-2008, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberrygirl View Post
Lol- well I think I'll leave the partying till 4 AM up to the twenty somethings! I don think that would hinder my enjoyment of St louis. Actually as a p/t bartender I would be happy to get to my dream house earlier. Thanks so much for all of the great advice, It is really very helpful and has made me feel like my idea of moving to St Louis is getting better and better. Well, now that I have had all this wonderful insight, I will plan a trip to come visit. Any suggestions for a nice hotel, unique and close to CWE/ Lafayette? If I rent a car, is there parking in the city? In Manhattan there is none, its brutal with the traffic too. Thnx

Chase Park Plaza comes to mind. It's in Central West End across the street from Forest Park on Kingshighway. If you want other suggestions, let me know.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownwarrior View Post
I get what you're saying. I personally find the pace in North Chicago city and downtown is reminiscent of NYC, not exactly, but pretty similar. But CHicago land, yes, i agree its not too far off from stl.
I can understand what you are saying, but I've lived in NYC(Upper East Side, Mid-Town East and Astoria) and I've lived in Chicago(Wicker Park, Lakeview, and traveled all throughout Chicagoland) and NYC is at a far faster pace than NYC, as is some other Northeastern cities. Nothing good or bad to that. Just different. Chicago is a lot slower in pace. Now, as I said, it will be faster in pace than St. Louis w/o question.

I've liked all three places. All are unique to themselves. I think Chicago is nothing like NYC in feel or pace. It's a unique Midwestern American city.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:40 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,831,224 times
Here's a 3 BR for only $155k. It's west of Compton Hill Park. I know nothing of the area, though. If someone could elaborate on the neighborhood that'd be great.
Coldwell Banker Gundaker -- Your site for St. Louis Real Estate

If you want to go real cheap here's a 3 BR east of the Botanical Gardens
$125k. Looks nice. I'd paint the inside, though.
It's got a small yard, but it looks better for a family than a single. You can click "map this property" to see others in the area.
Coldwell Banker Gundaker -- Your site for St. Louis Real Estate

Downtown may be nice for you too as a single, but it still be much slower than NY.
Youn can check out Downtown St. Louis Partnership - Home and they have a downtown St. Louis guide listing almost 60 downtown loft developments, with a description, website, and typical prices.
$250k will buy you a 1BR loft in most of them I think.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:01 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,059,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtacos View Post
Well, why not St. Louis?
True...

However, as the OP said herself, and as many from either coast would admit, how many of them wake up and think,,, wow, Saint Louis, that is where I wanna be!!! I would wager that more than a few couldn't even find the city, let alone the state on a map...

Old 03-19-2008, 04:00 AM

25,464 posts, read 13,574,744 times
Default West End

Try the site below for some ideas.

West End St Louis, Missouri MO - Hotels, Motels - See All Discounts

This area will give you a pretty good idea of what to expect. As others have said, Forest Park is a must see and experience. Spent most of my childhood, I think, playing and exploring there. Muny Opera is also a must in the summer time. Outdoor musicals. Splendid. I applaud your decision to take this chance and spread your wings.

St. Louis is a great mixture of people, architecture, education, entertainment, shopping and restaurants. Because of this diversity, you will have so many choices and find something new to experience as long as you are not fearful of change and taking slight risks and exploring. Good luck to you. And please keep us posted as you travel along this new path.

Old 03-19-2008, 02:04 PM

238 posts, read 332,075 times
Anybody know if the Cheshire is open again? Last I heard it was being renovated? If it is, it's a cool little hotel.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
True...

However, as the OP said herself, and as many from either coast would admit, how many of them wake up and think,,, wow, Saint Louis, that is where I wanna be!!! I would wager that more than a few couldn't even find the city, let alone the state on a map...
St. Louis has an image problem. It does a terrible job with marketing and PR. Always has had that problem. That would help it become at least more of a regional destination city.

And many St. Louisans have a self esteem problem when comparing it to other places. That's the point. You accept it for what it is...and take its best attributes and build upon them. Outsiders often see this much more quickly than locals in STL.

There is this mentality that well St. Louisans can rip on St. Louis and no one else. And St. Louisans have a love/hate relationship with the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis