Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2018, 07:51 PM

6 posts, read 5,772 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am going to graduate school at WashU and I am currently trying to decide between 2 apartments. One is in University City north of Delmar (across WashU's North campus) and the other in Skinker DeBaliviere. I visited in March and the whole area seemed relatively safe to me, but I still wanted to ask locals what they thought.

I am leaning towards the one in Skinker/DB because it's like 150 cheaper and closer to the school (and frankly there doesn't seem to be much of a difference amenities-wise between both places) but I wanted to hear from people from this area before making a decision!

I went to undergrad for 4 years in Charleston, SC so I suppose the transition to a bigger town will be interesting, but I'm optimistic about it despite what people tell me about St. Louis (lots of crime etc).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 08:33 PM

858 posts, read 424,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly Rae Jepsen View Post
Hello everyone,

I am going to graduate school at WashU and I am currently trying to decide between 2 apartments. One is in University City north of Delmar (across WashU's North campus) and the other in Skinker DeBaliviere. I visited in March and the whole area seemed relatively safe to me, but I still wanted to ask locals what they thought.

I am leaning towards the one in Skinker/DB because it's like 150 cheaper and closer to the school (and frankly there doesn't seem to be much of a difference amenities-wise between both places) but I wanted to hear from people from this area before making a decision!

I went to undergrad for 4 years in Charleston, SC so I suppose the transition to a bigger town will be interesting, but I'm optimistic about it despite what people tell me about St. Louis (lots of crime etc).

Thanks!

Pasadena Hills is where it at girlfriend

Old 04-02-2018, 11:54 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly Rae Jepsen View Post
Hello everyone,

Thanks!
I would go with the option that is closer to where you will be spending most of your time. Safety won't be an issue.

Old 04-03-2018, 05:59 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,865,329 times
I've known a number of people who lived in Skinker DeBaliviere and loved it. For the more affordable price tag, I wouldn't have any hesitation in choosing it

Old 04-03-2018, 01:51 PM

321 posts, read 1,003,851 times
While a significant number of our students do live in the apartments near North Campus, that is not nearly as convenient as living in Skinker-DeBaliviere where a much larger number of graduate students live. I am assuming your department is on the Danforth Campus (not at the Medical Campus) so you would either want to be close to the corner of Skinker/Forest Park or close to the Forest Park Metrolink station to provide a quick trip to campus. There are buses that can take you from North Campus to Danforth, but their frequency is not very convenient compared to the Metrolink or to just walking/biking directly to campus.

I am sure you know the current parking situation on Danforth Campus is extremely tight during the massive east end campus construction, so it is often faster to walk/bike from an apartment in Skinker-DeBaliviere to your campus destination than to park on campus and walk to that same destination (depending where you are headed on campus.) Hopefully in mid 2019 when the new east garage is complete the parking won't be quite as tight and restricted as it is right now.

As for safety, both areas are generally safe in the daytime hours, but there are occasional car break ins, car jackings or even muggings in both areas. You always have to be very careful when you are out, especially at night. Hopefully you will have dedicated, secured, well lit parking at whatever apartment you select, and you do not have to depend on street parking which is very tight in Skinker-DeBaliviere especially as you get closer to Skinker.

Old 04-03-2018, 06:21 PM

6 posts, read 5,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wustu87 View Post
While a significant number of our students do live in the apartments near North Campus, that is not nearly as convenient as living in Skinker-DeBaliviere where a much larger number of graduate students live. I am assuming your department is on the Danforth Campus (not at the Medical Campus) so you would either want to be close to the corner of Skinker/Forest Park or close to the Forest Park Metrolink station to provide a quick trip to campus. There are buses that can take you from North Campus to Danforth, but their frequency is not very convenient compared to the Metrolink or to just walking/biking directly to campus.

I am sure you know the current parking situation on Danforth Campus is extremely tight during the massive east end campus construction, so it is often faster to walk/bike from an apartment in Skinker-DeBaliviere to your campus destination than to park on campus and walk to that same destination (depending where you are headed on campus.) Hopefully in mid 2019 when the new east garage is complete the parking won't be quite as tight and restricted as it is right now.

As for safety, both areas are generally safe in the daytime hours, but there are occasional car break ins, car jackings or even muggings in both areas. You always have to be very careful when you are out, especially at night. Hopefully you will have dedicated, secured, well lit parking at whatever apartment you select, and you do not have to depend on street parking which is very tight in Skinker-DeBaliviere especially as you get closer to Skinker.
Thank you, this is really helpful! Indeed, I am going to the Danforth Campus. I personally don't mind the parking situation since I don't own a car and am perfectly fine with walking.

My first choice would've been a place in University City south of Delmar, but they seem to have none at the moment. I am relieved to hear it's safe in both areas during the day, that was my impression too. I'm a little worried about nighttime since I do enjoy going out to concerts and restaurants occasionally, but I suppose taking a Lyft or Uber to get back home would just be practical when I go out. With Delmar Loop being so close, it can't be that dark at night too, I assume.

Old 04-09-2018, 03:51 PM

42 posts, read 52,265 times
If you want more safety info on the areas you're considering, check out the city's crime mapping tool: SLMPD- Crime Mapping

Old 04-12-2018, 08:54 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,018,326 times
I'd put Skinker-DeBaliviere higher than North of Delmar.

If you look at the neighborhood structure to the south, things are much more intact, less vacant lots, land etc. Knowing that you'd be attending class at all hours, and would do plenty of walking (without a car) I'd say stay further to the South and venture north for classes when needed. All the shopping, eating, gaming, and hanging out is all on Delmar or South of there anyway.

I attended Grace Methodist Church in that neighborhood as a kid, and always loved how diverse it was. There was always so much happening in and around the community, in large part because of the students coming from Wash U. It really is a cool area in this city, with lots to offer! Enjoy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis