Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 07:59 PM

4 posts, read 2,707 times

Advertisements

My husband is getting a promotion and we have to relocate to Missouri. We can live anywhere in the state. He mostly works from home but will travel to hospitals across the state. If you could live anywhere in the state where would you choose? Things to consider: We have 3 children 8, 6, & 3, so a good school district is important. My 8 year old is a competition dancer, and my 6 year old is a wrestler, but I image they can find teams to join in most areas. We are a Catholic family. We are from Michigan and love the water. I'm literally open to any safe, nice areas. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2018, 08:39 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,342,083 times
Probably the two major cities would be good since that's where a lot of hospitals are.

For the water I'd recommend Table Rock and live in Springfield.

The only thing is living in far southern Missouri will be a big culture shock from where you're from. You're deep in the bible belt and that part of Missouri is southern. It will be different than MI or living in St. Louis for example.

Old 10-05-2018, 10:17 PM

Thank you. That lake looks beautiful, reminds me of Michigan. We go to a lot of State parks here. Its really easy to find a nice house on a lake in a great school district within 45 mins of the city here...I'm guessing that's not possible there. I want the best of both worlds city life/lake life...this will be hard.

Old 10-06-2018, 09:53 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,397,493 times
Budget? Public or private schools? And what do you consider a good public school. Within MO, the St. Louis area has the best collection of top public schools. Here is a list for that https://www.niche.com/k12/search/bes...ts/s/missouri/

MO has man made lakes. It’s not like MI. Lake of the Ozarks is a popular weekend destination. I don’t personally enjoy it but others do. Table Rock is nicer, but to me the education options in SW MO were only adequate to mediocre and I wouldn’t move back there. We wanted excellent schools.

STL, KC, and Columbia lean left, but are pretty politically diverse. I like this. The rest of MO is straight up conservative and bible beltand I will leave it at that. That’s not for me but to each their own.

I know STL and Springfield best. In STL there is Lake St. Louis which is about 45 min from downtown. Good schools and easy access to I-70. Might work for a traveler.

Old 10-06-2018, 02:37 PM

Budget is probably around $500,000 but we could probably go a bit higher if needed. Excellent schools is what I'm after. Preferably public, but we would also do Catholic school. I'm thinking the St. Louis or Kansas City area might be the best bet. I did look at Lake St. Louis but wasn't sure about the schools...We plan on taking a trip, so I want to narrow it down to a few places. I think Lake St. Louis will be on the list.

Old 10-06-2018, 02:45 PM

215 posts, read 283,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishl9 View Post
Budget is probably around $500,000 but we could probably go a bit higher if needed. Excellent schools is what I'm after. Preferably public, but we would also do Catholic school. I'm thinking the St. Louis or Kansas City area might be the best bet. I did look at Lake St. Louis but wasn't sure about the schools...We plan on taking a trip, so I want to narrow it down to a few places. I think Lake St. Louis will be on the list.
As STL74 said. Consider Columbia seriously. COMO broadband would be a plus for your hubby's telecommute and STL and KC are pretty easy drives. If he's working with the University hospital, it's right there.
We just bought our retirement house on the west end of LOZ but our kids are long gone. Many young families like Columbia and the University is top notch.

Old 10-06-2018, 02:46 PM

69 posts, read 176,545 times
I live just outside of Washington, Missouri and love it. It's about an hour from St. Louis City, so we still have amenities of a large city close by, but Washington itself has a small town feel. The town is very safe, and has a vibrant downtown area with lots of small businesses and events through the year. Washington School District is a good public district, and there are several Catholic schools in the area as well. The town is overwhelmingly Catholic, with two Catholic parishes in city limits and several in outlying areas as well. I find Washington to be very convenient- the area has grown in recent years so we have a Target, Wal-Mart, Kohl's, etc, plus a great variety of restaurants. We are also very close to Missouri wine country with a lot of great local wineries It's on the Missouri river and there are several other spots close by to fish or take a boat out. Though the area won't necessarily provide you with a lake lifestyle, there are a ton of opportunities in the area for hiking and being outdoors. My husband and I live on 4 acres with a large pond and woods, and we love where we live. Good luck in your search and welcome to Missouri!

Old 10-08-2018, 07:59 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,602,240 times
Washington is at least in the direction of the lakes, only a few hours' drive away. I don't think I'd want to live anywhere that is actually adjacent to the lake, it's the wrong mix of small town amenities and also crowded and pricey.

Old 10-08-2018, 12:27 PM

I've been doing some searching and research. Chesterfield looks nice. Anyone have thoughts on Chesterfield?

Old 10-08-2018, 12:57 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,397,493 times
Chesterfield is nice. Safe, great schools, increasing diversity, relatively convenient. If you want a suburb, it’s really great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis