Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2019, 08:33 AM

45 posts, read 46,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardTeam View Post
I used to run a popular blog about North County and would get loads of hate mail if I dared refer to Overland or Maryland Heights as North County, LOL. MH prefers to be called Northwest County, Overland likes Mid-County.

What's interesting is looking at the various cities and chambers of commerce and seeing how they define themselves. Also how St Louis County government defines them. You can see the North County map from County gov at the link below. It's pretty much every community from the city line to the Missouri River, primarily north of Page.

https://explorenorthstlouiscounty.com/about/
THat's just one source to my 10 though. North County by my sources uses I-70 as the southern boundary and/or St. Charles Rock Road. I agree Overland is Mid County. However, I wouldn't call Maryland Heights Northwest County. That's a term reserved for Earth City, Bridgeton, and Hazelwood. Maryland Heights is more along the lines of just West County. The term is used interchangeably, but I would not consider Overland, Maryland Heights, Vinita Park, Hanley Hills, or Wellston to be North County. As evidence, the latter three are governed by the Mid-County Fire Protection District. I don't feel like I'm in North County until I'm north of all these places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2019, 12:54 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,599,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytonian4 View Post
That may be as you’ve known it, but it’s not how everyone sees it. Mid County is indeed a thing. Maybe not always but it certainly is today. You are deluding yourself by thinking otherwise. Page is not the boundary for North County as I see it. It’s further north than that. Lindbergh is also not the boundary of West County. That’s a fact. 270 is much closer to the truth. You are accepting boundary definitions which are old and outdated.
Okay, uh, you're posting at 10 and we need you to dial it down to like 7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Curious where the quoted language is from?
It's just a phrase I made up to describe those communities. I guess quoting myself makes me feel like a man.

Old 09-04-2019, 08:52 PM

685 posts, read 766,789 times
Quote:
That may be as you’ve known it, but it’s not how everyone sees it. Mid County is indeed a thing. Maybe not always but it certainly is today. You are deluding yourself by thinking otherwise. Page is not the boundary for North County as I see it. It’s further north than that. Lindbergh is also not the boundary of West County. That’s a fact. 270 is much closer to the truth. You are accepting boundary definitions which are old and outdated.
This topic has really unsettled you. We see things differently. So what. It doesn't really matter.

And no, nobody's opinion is fact.

Old 09-05-2019, 11:17 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,012,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
Okay, uh, you're posting at 10 and we need you to dial it down to like 7.

It's just a phrase I made up to describe those communities. I guess quoting myself makes me feel like a man.
Hah. Well I think you are probably right so keep on doing it. I just like reading about the local community that I live in so I was curious. Not really questioning.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:55 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,012,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Trafford View Post
humm -

Just my opinion -

North County - everything north of Page to county limits

Mid County - City Limits to Lindbergh and Page to 44

West County - County limits to Lindbergh and Page to 44

South County - Everything south of 44 to county limits
This pretty much lines up with my perceptions as someone who has lived in STL County, in and around Kirkwood, most of his life. With a few exceptions. I don't consider Kirkwood or Glendale or Webster Groves as "Mid County" or "West County": I consider them Kirkwood or Glendale or Webster Groves. Although when I went to KHSand played football in the mid to late 80's we were in the Suburban West conference and the main mall of my youth (when malls were a thing), West County, is in neighboring Des Peres. We also went to Crestwood Mall but felt like that was "South County."

Also, when I was young, anything west of 270 was considered really out there, taking a field trip (to us inner-ring suburbanites). West County Mall is in Des Peres (obviously). If you are younger the perception may be very different. When I was younger and played junior football, we played a game in St. Peters and felt like we traveled to the country. The coach said we were playing corn-fed country boys.

Hell this thread probably demonstrates how provincial the whole metro is!

Interesting discussion though.

Old 09-16-2019, 09:28 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,012,857 times
MUTGR, I agree with you. Can remember a friend moving out to St. Charles during the late 80's. As we drove down 94 I can vividly remember feeling that we were FULLY in the country. While there are plenty of neighborhoods that were technically established back then, you went passed many farms along the route. A couple of the old farm homes still stand, but it really FELT like I as in the boonies heading over there.

And hey, Maryland Heights touches page...so, i'm just gonna go ahead and call it West County so i can feel more wealthy.

Old 06-30-2020, 10:11 PM

1 posts, read 3,281 times
Quote:
Parts of Maryland Heights are also in the Parkway school district. That’s West County. I agree Maryland Heights could be considered North County, but the truth is it straddles both West and North County at best. Overland is only 2-3 miles north of Downtown Clayton. How anyone can say that’s North County is beyond me. I agree the areas north of Overland are North County, but Overland and Maryland Heights are not universally considered North County. Even the areas immediately south of I-70 are not universally considered North County, even though I consider them to be North County.
Yeah, I would never consider Maryland Heights north county. It’s more like a younger less rich Creve Coeur. It has a much more white collar feel than most of north county. I’m not saying it’s preferable, just different.

I hadn’t really thought about it but I definitely classify by vibe and/or my perception of the people who generally live there more than actual geography. Mid county isn’t really a thing I hear people say much (maybe it’s more of a thing to mid county residents who want to distinct themselves, particularly now that north county is seen by many as low class) but I also don’t think of the inner municipalities as part of north, west or south county. I kind of think of them as part of the city, even though I know they technically aren’t. Because no one is literally talking about St. Louis City when they say St. Louis. I feel like the suburbs don’t really start until you get out of Overland/Ladue/Olivette/Webster Groves, or in north county until you get to Bridgeton/Hazelwood/Florissant.

Tbh a lot of it is pretty biased, and feels classist and kind of crappy to say out loud. Every area has great people who live there, and just because I feel safer in one area doesn’t mean I wouldn’t generally prefer the company of people in Florissant to Ladue (just an example).

Old 07-01-2020, 05:21 AM

1,112 posts, read 883,532 times
I moved NE from the Lou to Springfield IL. Chicago people refer to the area as southern IL. Lol!

Old 07-06-2020, 05:15 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times
I grew up in Overland. I always thought we lived in Northwest St. Louis County. North County was farther north, at least in my view. I lived in Bridgeton for a number of years, and I knew that was NW St. Louis County.

Old 07-06-2020, 06:46 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,012,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I grew up in Overland. I always thought we lived in Northwest St. Louis County. North County was farther north, at least in my view. I lived in Bridgeton for a number of years, and I knew that was NW St. Louis County.
I’d totally agree with its you regarding overland. Growing up in Bridgeton, I always considered it North County, but my mother who’d grown up in the area her entire life always said “northwest county” ... honestly, I think it was to further distinct themselves from being in the actual “north county” and additionally because Bridgeton really isn’t that far north in the grand scheme of things.

I recently accepted a new job in chesterfield, and one of the employees and I were discussing where we lived. He’s a transplant to the area, and doesn’t have a strong grasp on the geographical locations yet, or more so what’s considered “north, central, south, counties” When I mentioned living in Maryland Heights, and he asked me where that’s located, another co-worker piped in with “NORCO! Up North” I was like “it kinda straddles it” and he said, “nope, north of 64, you’re north county!”

lol - hadn’t heard that expression given before, but that card Creve Coeur, Ladue, Town & Country and a bunch of other spots suddenly become North County....and I just don’t think that’s accurate. Lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis