Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2020, 03:10 PM

5 posts, read 7,160 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for somewhere to live in the St Louis/St Charles area. I'm 24, and live near Quincy, IL. I am wanting to move here because it's close enough to my friends and family so I (hopefully) won't get as homesick, but not so close my parents can control my every move...

I have some concerns though.

1. I'm looking to rent, but I don't know anybody in the city. Where would you look for roommates if you were new to a city? (I'm trying to be safe, especially as a 24 year old woman.)

2. Does STL or St. Charles have the Missouri Tarantula or is it too far north? Is it common to see them in your home?? I'm terrified of Spiders, tarantulas, and spider-like insects/bugs. I know there's nowhere that has no spiders, but I'm mainly concerned about the Missouri tarantula. D:

3. Are cars necessary, and if so, is it hard to drive in STL? I'm from a town of 3000, and I have never driven in the city before. I usually catch onto things quickly, but it takes a bit for my anxiety to quiet down.

I'm not afraid to move out. I'm quite excited, especially for a new city!!

I just don't know if anybody would rent to me since I wouldn't have a job, but I will have roughly 5 months or rent and utilities to cover me before I make this move. So I'm looking into that, but in the mean time, those questions stick in my mind most. And don't assume those are the only priorities I have, in order. They're mainly my worries..

I'm trying to choose between STL and St. Charles. Which would you recommend?

Please don't tell me not to move here or that it isn't for me or a good place to live! I understand the dangers of this area, but I'm not letting it discourage me.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2020, 10:18 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,015,567 times
I know this is a troll post but I'd suggest getting a job first, then moving. But either way, good luck!

Old 10-13-2020, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emwynters View Post
I'm looking for somewhere to live in the St Louis/St Charles area. I'm 24, and live near Quincy, IL. I am wanting to move here because it's close enough to my friends and family so I (hopefully) won't get as homesick, but not so close my parents can control my every move...

I have some concerns though.

1. I'm looking to rent, but I don't know anybody in the city. Where would you look for roommates if you were new to a city? (I'm trying to be safe, especially as a 24 year old woman.)

2. Does STL or St. Charles have the Missouri Tarantula or is it too far north? Is it common to see them in your home?? I'm terrified of Spiders, tarantulas, and spider-like insects/bugs. I know there's nowhere that has no spiders, but I'm mainly concerned about the Missouri tarantula. D:

3. Are cars necessary, and if so, is it hard to drive in STL? I'm from a town of 3000, and I have never driven in the city before. I usually catch onto things quickly, but it takes a bit for my anxiety to quiet down.

I just don't know if anybody would rent to me since I wouldn't have a job, but I will have roughly 5 months or rent and utilities to cover me before I make this move. So I'm looking into that, but in the mean time, those questions stick in my mind most. And don't assume those are the only priorities I have, in order. They're mainly my worries..

Please don't tell me not to move here or that it isn't for me or a good place to live! I understand the dangers of this area, but I'm not letting it discourage me.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
I know this is a troll post but I'd suggest getting a job first, then moving. But either way, good luck!
Thx

Old 10-13-2020, 09:33 PM

589 posts, read 1,107,467 times
What town near Quincy are you from?

Old 10-17-2020, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCityMike View Post
What town near Quincy are you from?

Hamilton, IL
It's a tiny town.

Old 10-17-2020, 02:51 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,397,020 times

I'd probably live alone, but I preferred that before I was married anyway, so no help there...

Answered in the other post

Yes, a car is fairly necessary and it is very easy to drive here. However, you could probably take some lessons on city driving if you wanted to.

I would look for a job, but if you have the deposit, you'll probably find someone to rent to you.

Depends on what you want. Since you are from a small town I would likely stick to the suburbs until you get some city smarts built up. Depends on your budget as well. I prefer St. Louis county to St. Charles county, but St. Charles county has some nice areas too. The Old St. Charles area might actually be a fun place to live at your age.

Old 10-17-2020, 03:23 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,340,749 times
Been 5 years since i moved from St. Louis.

Is St. Charles County building up a lot still? It seemed traffic was getting really bad there the last few years and that's a big complaint I hear.

Old 10-18-2020, 12:22 AM

685 posts, read 767,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Is St. Charles County building up a lot still? It seemed traffic was getting really bad there the last few years and that's a big complaint I hear.
The outer reaches are still growing. Near Wentzville and Lake St. Louis. Not growing as furiously as the 90s and 00s though. A lot a growth is now shifting into Warren and Lincoln Counties, where land is still cheap.

Traffic has never been bad in StL, and certainly not in St. Charles. Even during rush hour, I could make the 30 mile drive from Maplewood to Lake StL in 45 min. Sometimes less.

Old 10-18-2020, 08:51 AM

589 posts, read 1,107,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emwynters View Post
Hamilton, IL
It's a tiny town.

I asked as I am from outside Quincy, in NEMO. Anyhow, the city has great neighborhoods, and one of my favorites is Soulard. It is just south of downtown, and has a small town feel right smack in the middle of the city. They have started to build more large scale apartment complexes. Rent's are higher here. I might suggest looking for a studio apartment just until you get the lay of the land and decide where you want to be.

You will hear a lot about crime in St. Louis, and it is a concern. Most of it is targeted, gang / drug related but there are indeed innocent victims. The recent increase in crime is not specific to our city, but I hope they are able to get it under control You will want to sharpen your street smarts (don't leave valuables visible in a parker car; be aware of your surroundings etc.)

The Central West End is also desirable and as a result has higher rents. It amenities include access to public transportation and Forests Park.

Fringe neighborhoods of these two can offer lower rents - Benton Park, Benton Park West, Lafayette Square, The Grove, DeBaliviere .. of course Tower Grove South as well (access to Tower Grove Park).

I have never seen any large spiders. I live in the Gate District in a school house converted into apartments and rent has increased in the last few years, a likely contributor is all the new homes going up around me in then i would suspect increasing property values.

Personally, I left rural NEMO / Quincy area for a more urban lifestyle, and while there are some aspects of that in St. Charles, that area is by far more car dependent and suburban than St. Louis city. Get off of the highway, see the neighborhoods turn of the news and talk to people and experience the lifestyle. Good luck.

Old 10-28-2020, 10:26 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
You know OP...maybe consider the Alton/Grafton IL area to move to? It's close enough to St. Charles AND St. Louis area, and IMO, Alton is a really cool place.

I live in the St. Charles area, and we have a lot of young people because of Lindenwood University. A local 'hotspot' that I can tell, is the newish "Streets of St. Charles" area, which seems to attract a lot of people, and there are lots of apartments and entertainment in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis