Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2021, 10:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,349 times

Advertisements

SO and I recently moved to UCity and quickly realized taxes and schools here are abysmal (no kids at the moment).

I'm looking for suggestions on what municipality to look for a permanent home in.

My must haves:

1) Top performing public schools (Clayton, Brentwood, Ladue, PW Central, PW West)

2) Prefer to be no more than 20-25 minutes from downtown / airport.

3) Budget - under $600k

4) Taxes - a municipality with no additional taxes would be great, otherwise one with very low.

5) I'd like an area where police are respected and not being defunded, and where crime is low.

6) 2-3 car garage is a must / also willing to buy a teardown and build new.

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2021, 02:22 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,686,641 times
Since you asked about municipalities with no additional taxes, here's the list from St Louis County for 2020 - some of these fall in Parkway or Rockwood districts (Ballwin, Chesterfield, Des Peres, Fenton, Town & Country, Wildwood, parts of Maryland Heights):
C-93 BALLWIN
C-2* BELLA VILLA
C-102 CHAMP
C-105* CHESTERFIELD
C-17* DES PERES
C-21* FENTON
C-24* FLORISSANT
C-106 GREEN PARK
C-104 MARYLAND HEIGHTS
C-83* TOWN & COUNTRY
C-65* WILBUR PARK
C-107 WILDWOOD

I'd start with Des Peres or Town & Country. Parkway or Kirkwood schools, maaaybe able get get downtown & airport in 25 mins in rush hour, $600k is feasible if you're OK with an older home, no muni taxes, Parkway or Kirkwood district taxes are lower than Clayton, Brentwood SD and with the combo of Ladue School + Muni tax, lower than Ladue. There's just about nothing on the market there right now, though.

Old 03-06-2021, 11:08 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,395,120 times
I can't help on the taxes...I live in Ladue, so...

In your budget, you can add Rockwood (Marquette or Lafayette HS) to your list. It would add a little time on the airport commute though. Also consider Lindbergh school district.

You'll probably have the best luck focusing on Parkway West/Central and Rockwood Lafayette/Marquette and maybe Lindbergh. Eureka HS might also work, but really adds on that commute.

Clayton/Brentwood/Ladue I think...taxes higher and very very unlikely to get the house you want at the price.

U City has a good elementary school in the district, but definitely looking at private school for MS/HS. Everyone I know in U City does private MS/HS but some do use Flynn Park for elementary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis