Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2022, 07:52 PM

9 posts, read 16,404 times

Advertisements

Could use some advice from someone who has lived here for many years.

I lived in Franklin county for 10 years, then moved to south St. Louis County suburb to work. I have lived here for 10 years. Met a girl and am about to start a family. Worked very hard for many years to live in a nice neighborhood. Beautiful neighborhood and schools. Great neighbors.

Anywhere near a city is very different from the country of course. Lock your doors and that sort of thing is a given.

However lately I’ve been paranoid due to a recent sporadic pattern of criminals cruising west and south county neighborhoods and stealing cars or just checking handles. Usually early morning hours. Sometimes locked sometimes not, in some cases glass is broken out. On occasion I have heard stories of gunshots when homeowners intervene. Mostly these people come from the city.
I am a CCW permitted gun owner and know you can use lethal force for protection inside your dwelling and your/others’ lives, not specifically un-occupied property though.

That got me thinking of other problems that seem to be getting worse. Expired plates, bad drivers, less police presence (rarely see radar anymore) bad guys getting booked and then released, even worker shortages because people are either lazy or think they deserve more money. I don’t want to debate this. It even seems like people in general are more hostile toward one another.

Recognizing the pattern of the types of people doing these crimes, or areas where they come from gets you nowhere. That’s all I’ll say on that.

It’s hard to consider moving when your immediate neighborhood is so nice. We are not well traveled and fear suffering from the thought the “grass is always greener” elsewhere when it may not be.

What are some ways StL county is improving in terms of being a great and safe place to raise a family?

Has the quality of life here improved or worsened in the past 20-30 years?

Do the problems I listed exist everywhere in this country? There is no Mayberry anymore it seems.

Thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2022, 07:59 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,963,320 times
Things will always change for the better and worse. Unfortunately, a lot of the investment in St. Louis county is along the 64 corridor and Chesterfield Valley. There isn't enough to go around in St. Louis county with everything so fragmented and unorganized. Keep in mind, retail is going to disintegrate throughout the country they say. That in and of itself will change St. Louis county.

If you have the itch to relocate, please please do it. There are many places to go to that may be a good fit for you and your family. Make sure to do your research and that the area offers what you are looking for.

I am hearing from friends and family all over the place complaining about speeding, expired tags and a rise in property crime. Even in rural areas. When you move in, it may be okay but 6 months later things can change.

Old 04-11-2022, 06:38 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,013,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlcardsfan1 View Post

I lived in Franklin county for 10 years, then moved to south St. Louis County suburb to work. I have lived here for 10 years. Met a girl and am about to start a family. Worked very hard for many years to live in a nice neighborhood. Beautiful neighborhood and schools. Great neighbors.

Anywhere near a city is very different from the country of course. Lock your doors and that sort of thing is a given.

However lately I’ve been paranoid due to a recent sporadic pattern of criminals cruising west and south county neighborhoods and stealing cars or just checking handles. Usually early morning hours. Sometimes locked sometimes not, in some cases glass is broken out. On occasion I have heard stories of gunshots when homeowners intervene. Mostly these people come from the city.
I am a CCW permitted gun owner and know you can use lethal force for protection inside your dwelling and your/others’ lives, not specifically un-occupied property though.

That got me thinking of other problems that seem to be getting worse. Expired plates, bad drivers, less police presence (rarely see radar anymore) bad guys getting booked and then released, even worker shortages because people are either lazy or think they deserve more money. I don’t want to debate this. It even seems like people in general are more hostile toward one another.

Recognizing the pattern of the types of people doing these crimes, or areas where they come from gets you nowhere. That’s all I’ll say on that.

It’s hard to consider moving when your immediate neighborhood is so nice. We are not well traveled and fear suffering from the thought the “grass is always greener” elsewhere when it may not be.

What are some ways StL county is improving in terms of being a great and safe place to raise a family?

Do the problems I listed exist everywhere in this country? There is no Mayberry anymore it seems.

Thanks all.

It's not improving. However, depending on location, many areas of STL county are still quite viable places to live and you can have a decent life. But the country, in general, is not improving and is in fact declining, so STL County is not going to be immune from it. There is a general lawlessness that has increased quite a bit in recent decades.

Worsened.

Yes, but I would recommend clustering with like-minded people who share your values and you will probably be okay.

Old 04-12-2022, 02:26 PM

685 posts, read 766,977 times
StL County has seen in a mix of changes in my life. On average, I don't think it is any better or worse than it was decades ago. But it feels more stratified and segregated. Like the City before it, it is becoming a land of the wealthy and the poor. The shrinking middle is being pushed to the outer counties. In that sense, it resembles the rest of America.

Far West County has gotten much nicer. It used to resemble JeffCo, but those days are long gone. It's much wealthier now.
West County, and the Central Corridor ("Mid County") along 40 hasn't changed much. It's still a solidly middle and upper-middle income area.
North County has gotten decidedly poorer and lower-class.
South County is slowly transitioning from middle-class to working-class. And more immigrants.

St. Charles County has changed more than any other. It used to be the sticks. But it's solidly middle-class now. For me, it is the old North County reincarnated. It's a good place.

JeffCo has gained some middle-incomes in the northern areas, and is nicer than it was, but large swaths could still be called StL's Appalachia.

On the East Side, St. Clair County has seen mixed changes, similar to StL. Madison County has changed very little. Monroe County and Clinton County have gotten quite nice though.

Old 04-12-2022, 05:21 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,395,799 times
I live in central StL county (close to 64 and inside 270). Everything along 64 is growing and improving. What I consider an improvement is not what everyone considers and improvement though. I enjoy the increasing diversity of the area. Clayton is booming (although I wish some of that was downtown instead). I enjoy new restaurants and the central corridor (city and county) is really killing it with food. Central and West County have great schools and great amenities and I see positive movement. I see South County as the definition of stagnant, which is what people there seem to want anyway. Outside of the Lindbergh school district, the schools are mediocre and the people don’t change, but at least the influx of Bosnians are demanding the schools do better. North County has some areas that are stagnant, some that are moving in the wrong direction.

I will stay where I am unless I retire in the mountains and ski all winter…

Old 05-01-2022, 01:38 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,085,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlcardsfan1 View Post

Thanks all.
Slow n gradual decline almost all over the stl county. Town and Country has seen an increase in property crime. Real estate taxes have gone up by what? 20%?
School ratings are going down almost in all districts.

Old 05-01-2022, 01:57 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,013,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Slow n gradual decline almost all over the stl county. Town and Country has seen an increase in property crime. Real estate taxes have gone up by what? 20%?
School ratings are going down almost in all districts.
Kirkwood is a mixed bag. You drive around and almost every street has lots of big, new, beautiful homes. So one could say confidently it is becoming more affluent, which has a lot of advantages.

Downsides? Well, you no longer have the mechanic in the older, smaller home living across the street from the doctor and lawyer. And a lot of people that grew up there are priced out unless they are a high earner.

The school district is very popular, but having gone there myself decades ago I can't say it is better.

Old 05-04-2022, 06:45 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,180,851 times
I think St. Louis County is missing the mark in proper redevelopment. While much of the country is focusing on mixed use redevelopment and town centers. It seems that St. Louis County in large is double down on the big box model in too many areas. Just look at the failed Webster Groves project, Crestwood Mall and U-City @ I-170. The fragmentation has pretty much killed any long term or reasonable planning for redevelopment. The demographics seem to be shifting to that more of an urban county, but just without the charm of the central city. In a perfect world, St. Louis County and St. Louis City would merge into one entity with a focus towards redevelopment and job growth, but I know that's wishful thinking. I actually think that Chesterfield may have the most progressive, forward thinking redevelopment projects in the county (which is ironic considering it's reputation for sprawl), Clayton would come in as a close second, but there are so many areas of the county that would benefit from becoming more walkable and redeveloping in a more traditionally urban way. I think the expansion of public transit is also going to be key to the county's future. Only time will tell, but I don't see a future where the county goes through a population loss anywhere near the level that St. Louis City has.

Old 05-27-2022, 01:20 PM

1,197 posts, read 2,278,167 times
Why do people list "expired plates" as an issue? Who cares if someone has expired plates. Not sure how that affects anyone. It probably just means they don't have the money or are lazy and forgetful. That would be like worrying about people's credit scores in your neighborhood.

Old 05-28-2022, 11:07 PM

685 posts, read 766,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
Why do people list "expired plates" as an issue? Who cares if someone has expired plates. Not sure how that affects anyone. It probably just means they don't have the money or are lazy and forgetful. That would be like worrying about people's credit scores in your neighborhood.
Also...because I would rather live around taxpayers. And people with valid car insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis