Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2008, 02:15 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,831,224 times

Advertisements

STLtoday - STLtoday - MultiMedia - Lost and endangered buildings in St. Louis (http://www.stltoday.com/mds/entertainment/html/1765 - broken link)

Interesting article. It's a shame so many good buildings have been demolished or are in danger and/or decay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 09:19 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
Thank you for posting that. The stark beauty of those almost forgotten buildings really touched me. I don't a thing about architecture, but all of those old buildings were extraordinarily beautiful in their own way, and we should be ashamed to know what we've allowed to happen to them.

Can you imagine tearing something down to build another ugly Walgreens?

Old 07-28-2008, 03:27 PM

11 posts, read 41,508 times
Default Historic STL architecture/Bohemian Hill?

STLCardsBlues, I followed the link, and then was so interested in reading about urban planning in St Louis that I spent all afternoon looking at photo tours of decaying, abandoned or endangered buildings in the city (on builtstlouis.net) and reading blogs and forums by St-Louis based historic preservationists (urbanstl.com, urbanreviewstl.com, etc etc)!

I was particularly surprised to read about plans for Bohemian Hill, where eminent domain is being used to force residents from houses (both new and historic) in favor of constructing an autocentric strip mall. The most recent link I read showed that ten or so houses had already been torn down, but the development plan was stalled. Does anyone know what stages the plans are in? (I'm not a STL resident yet, will be in about 2 weeks, so I'm a bit out of the loop).

Such developments are a shame--St Louis is such an old and architecturally significant city. Certainly with some more tasteful urban planning, developers can bring in businesses without ruining an area's historic flair and while preserving--or trying to foster--pedestrian culture, so important in bringing a sense of community to a neighborhood . The tacky strip mall thing is what completely ruined my native city of Atlanta, creating neverending traffic, ugly parking lots, and sprawl. It's encouraging to see so many good writers on the aforementioned sites working to raise the profile of these old buildings and neighborhoods and rally community support for historic preservation.

Thanks for posting!

Old 07-30-2008, 12:46 AM

214 posts, read 691,808 times
Shameful, this is/has been done all over America. Most of these buildings are left to decay so by the time some one gets involved enough to preserve it the costs are prohibitive. I remember driving by the pink motel, what a beauty. I also remember volunteering at a homeless shelter somewhere in the inner city. The shelter was in a gigantic old house surrounded by others equally large and everything is disrepair. It was a desolute environment. I had to stop volunteering because I had to drive out of the area at night, alone. One night I was nearly detained by a carful of youths and lucky to escape, fortunately for me their heart wasn't into the chase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis