Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2008, 06:06 PM

25 posts, read 102,859 times

Advertisements

Hi St. Louis people,

I wonder whether anyone would be willing to share their thoughts, opinions and/or advice with me. I'm trying to figure out whether I should move back to St. Louis or stay in South Florida. I'm actually from the St. Louis area originally but have been gone longer than I lived there. (old... so old. hehe) My family still mostly all live in St. Louis which would be nice from time to time but not very helpful most likely. I'm a single mom raising a 3 year old boy.

The way our real estate market is here in South Florida I'd just break even on the sale of my house (providing I'm even able to sell). But, wonder if I should just take my freedom and run.

Can anyone comment about the positives and negatives about growing up in the St. Louis area in this day and age? Also, my son is Latino and I would really appreciate some input from you all as to whether he'll be comfortable there and not stand out. Here in Florida he's in the majority. What will it be like for him there on a daily basis?

If we do come, I'm torn about where to live, too. I'd be renting until we settle in but can't decide where to look. I don't see us in one of those big apartment complexes but wonder if there are any small older style apartments buildings that are in sort of suburbany feeling areas. I'll need to keep the rent under about 900 or so. What would be the furthest west area that an older style apartment (hardwood floors, high ceilings, fireplace etc.) could be found? I've been reading all the posts here about the different areas and it's been very helpful. Just wondering if anyone has any further advice.

Thanks for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 09:01 PM

7 posts, read 31,262 times
You could look in South City, around St. Francis Park which is near Ted Drewes for the style you are looking for. Sounds like you'd like a 'flat', the top floor or bottom floor of a 2 story house. St. Francis park is wonderful. It's probably the only city are I'd live in. The only thing about living in the city though is that you'll want to send your son to a private school. So you're looking at at least $4,000 for that. The city school system is unaccredited right now and basically useless.

A great south area is Fenton. It's really moving up right now. Look at Polo Downs apartments in Fenton. Newer development. I love this area.

Your son will be fine. There is a large latino community. My daughter has a mix of kids in her school. While it is predominantly white, there is a mix. And she also went to a very diverse daycare. As far as I know she doesn't distinguish any difference. Kids are great and don't make a big deal about it. It's the parents that usually bring that issue out.

Don't go to north county/city. Some of the not so great school districts in the south part of St. Louis are Affton (not horrible), Bayless, Hancock, Mehlville (not horrible, Oakville is good, they are a joint district), Maplewood.

Good luck in your decision. Having family to help you with your son should also be great for both of you.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:54 PM

29 posts, read 107,192 times
Hi, TheBoyandMe: When my daughter was young, I found that there was nothing better than having family members around who I could count on when I really needed help. That might be the best reason to move back to the area.

St. Louis is really diverse these days and I don't think your son's ethnicity will be an issue for him at all. I agree with the previous poster that St. Louis Hills, South Hampton or Holly Hills sound great for the type of place you're looking for. Also Maplewood would be great.

You'll probably also remember what a great place St. Louis is to raise kids with the Zoo, Science Center and so many other attractions and cultural activities that are available for free. He will have the chance to be exposed to so much for not much money.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:23 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
I think if you can break even or make money on your current home and you want to move, I'd do it. if you're going to lose money, it might be best to stay for a couple of years and see how it works out.

For $900 a month you have a lot of options. I think you'd love some of the south city areas others mentioned like Holly Hills - it's a very family friendly area. And while the public schools are pretty much all terrible, there are growing magnet and charter school options, some of them are very good schools.

If you want to be somewhere where you don't want to deal with privates or magnets and want to know the public schools are solid, however, you should look at Kirkwood. I think they may well have what you're looking for.

Like this place: Charming Duplex in the heart of Kirkwood (http://stlouis.craigslist.org/apa/773571228.html - broken link)
which is close to the cute downtown area

I am so glad I grew up in St. Louis - I love it madly. And even though I live in Chicago right now and am loving every minute of it, I know that when I have kids in the future, I want to raise them in St. Louis.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:13 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,781,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I am so glad I grew up in St. Louis - I love it madly. And even though I live in Chicago right now and am loving every minute of it, I know that when I have kids in the future, I want to raise them in St. Louis.
And while I currently live in St. Louis, I feel the same way about my hometown: Mobile, AL. I think if someone had a good growing-up period, they typically feel this way no matter where they are from

Off-topic post ... sorry OP.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:23 PM

25 posts, read 102,859 times
Thanks for the responses and for that link to the duplex in Kirkwood. Yes, that seems like it's *exactly* what I'm looking for. Wish I were free to move now... I'd certainly want to look at that one.

Appreciate the help here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis