Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 05:57 PM

172 posts, read 510,009 times

Advertisements

Get Boric Acid powder and spinkle it everywhere you have seen them. It causes them to suffocate when they walk through it. It is non-toxic to animals if you have any around. You can find it at just about any home improvement store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 07:23 AM

419 posts, read 1,333,116 times
In our old house, we had them come up through our basement drain straight from the sewer system. Though it was only during the warmest wettest month of summer (Aug). We reaffixed our drain, adding mesh and SEVERAL times per day flushed massive amounts of steaming hot water down the hole. Seemed to do the trick. So, so gross either way though, I know.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:53 AM

132 posts, read 389,671 times
I wonder if the OP ever solved her problem. One of my homes (see below) had a roach problem. Our exterminator would put some kind of granular outside the parameter of the house. I'm assuming that would work with waterbugs, too. This helped significantly, but we'd still come across dead ones occasionally. While we could prevent them from living in our basement, we couldn't stop them completely from coming inside to die.

As a city dweller all my life, here's my experiences:
1st home: North Hampton area--lots of waterbugs, centipedes and spiders but, surprisingingly, never any roaches
2nd home: Holly Hills area--never any waterbugs, but tons of roaches (the reddish brown ones), with occasional centipedes and spiders
3rd and current home: North Hampton--no waterbugs, no roaches, and hardly anything else in our basement (knock on wood)

I would attribute the most bugs to the homes with dreary and/or wet basements. So waterproofing, sealing up holes, and maybe even running a de-humidier might help.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:54 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,888,574 times
Never had any bugs in my house in North Hampton either. But my old apartment in south county had a bad brown recluse problem. I hate hate hate those nasty things!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis