Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2008, 02:08 PM

13 posts, read 60,309 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any information on the Wentzville, MO area? We are relocating to STL area after our house sells and I've been looking at St. Peters and St. Charles area but we see a house we like in Wentzville. I have elementary age kids and my husband will be working in Bridgeton. Is this a nice area? Are the schools reputable? Are the sports reputable?

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 02:45 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,825,170 times
If you like Wentzville, then go for it, I guess. My only concern would be the distance from Wentzville to Bridgeton (about 30 miles). And if you wanted to go into the city it would be almost an hour's drive probably.

If you want a shorter commute I would recommend St. Charles, Maryland Heights, or maybe Creve Coeur. Those would also be closer to the city, so if you wanted to travel into the city for ballgames or to visit museums, or nightlife, then it would be quite a longer trip.

What is your criteria for the town (apparently schools is one of them, I can't really help you there)? And how much of a concern is commute? What's your budget?

Also, could a mod move this to the St. Louis forum? Thanks.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:16 AM

321 posts, read 1,003,375 times
Wentzville to Bridgeton in rush hour would definitely be a lengthy commute. I would agree with the suggestions of St. Charles (and southern and eastern St. Peters), northern Creve Coeur, Maryland Heights and also Bridgeton itself (the western, newer construction there.) I am thinking primarily the Parkway North and Pattonville school districts in northwestern St. Louis county, both of which have strong academic and athletic programs. I am not familiar enough with the schools in St. Charles county to say much about them.

We actually drove out to a band competition at Wentzville Holt High once (on a Saturday morning) and it took us 45 minute from Creve Coeur with no traffic. The high school was definitely large and had an impressive band too! I am also curious how GM's financial misfortunes will treat the Wentzville area since GM is such a large presence there.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:40 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,613,768 times
Wentzville has been growing like leaps in bounds and their schools have had a rather hard time keeping up. Fort Zumwalt and Francis Howell's schools (the latter especially) are much more respected. Taxes as such have been going up too. It's VERY far out, and traffic on 70 east is VERY bad around St. Charles, so expect a lengthy commute.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:54 PM

351 posts, read 649,580 times
Wentzville is a great area. It's one of the exurban hot spots on the fringe of a major metro area--and was recently ranked as Money Magazine's top 3 cities for families (I think it was top-3, but it might have been a little lower down the list.) Wentzville schools are solid and the area is remarkably affordable. The only real downside is that it is, in fact, exurban: you are a sizable drive from Clayton, downtown St. Louis, and many of the cool malls and shops in central STL County. Plus, you're amidst the sea of suburbia which you may or may not find attractive.

Bottom line: it's a great area for families and if you don't plan on driving downtown too often, it's a steal.

Old 10-18-2008, 08:08 AM

81 posts, read 376,977 times
What's wrong with Bridgeton? Or Maryland Heights? The Pattonville school district is pretty good.

-Rhonda

Old 01-25-2009, 09:20 PM

711 posts, read 2,107,282 times
Wentzville is waaay out there. I can't figure out why anyone would want to live in a town that is growing so big, but still so far from the city. It's just going to be an overcrowded "suburb" some day but without the luxury of being within 20 minutes of the city. Heaven forbid someone who lives there should get a job downtown. People too often think of the job they have right now. I like to think "What would happen if I lost my job in west county, and got a job downtown?"

Old 11-18-2009, 10:52 AM

1 posts, read 5,622 times
If you live in St. Peters, within a mile or two of this location... [url=http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=vanderbilt+apartments,+st.+peters,+mo&fb=1&gl= us&hq=vanderbilt+apartments,&hnear=st.+peters,+mo& cid=0,0,17542313252048640261&ei=qzEES6rIDNH_nAf7uY hn&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&resnum=5&ved=0CB8 QnwIwBA]Google Maps[/url] ...you will be near Mexico and Spencer. Spencer becomes I-370, and goes straight to Bridgeton. It runs mainly through undeveloped areas, and hardly ever has traffic. I drove that stretch for 2 years and only saw bad traffic twice (one wreck, and one flood). A lot of times it's even a better choice if you're going all the way to St. Louis and 70 is jammed. 370 E, 270 N, 170 S, 70 W. Also, if you choose St. Peters, try to get in the Ft. Zumwalt school district. The area on the map would be that. Orchard Farm in N. St. Charles is an up and coming school district too, and I believe it scored better than Zumwalt recently. Kind of a hick area, but at least someone will be able to fix your kids car if it breaks down in the school parking lot. Oh and Ft. Zumwalt had the highest teen pregnancy rate on some news show, fyi.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:16 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,002,301 times
I just don't understand how people can consider 30 miles a far commute. I guess it just reflects the insular nature of the local population.

I live in Lake Saint Louis and know the area very well. Wentzville is a great place to raise families and has very good schools and inexpensive new homes. The old section looks a bit like Mayberry on crack (north of the 70 between Rte A and Wentzville Parkway), but you probably wouldn't want to live there anyway.

Rolling hills and horse stables are abundant. If you head east, the environment is suburban. If you head west, it turns rural very quickly.

There is a bit of a bubba mentality around here, but being from LA and NY, I think the entire region (including The inner ring burbs and St. Louis city has a backward feel to it)

If you are coming from a real metropolitan Area like NY, Chicago or LA, the commute is very easy.

The Wentzville to Bridgeton commute on the 70 and 370 freeways is fairly pain free. Even Downtown St. Louis is only 40 miles away. Rush hour jams up a bit around saint Charles and St. Peters but it is nothing to get your knickers in a knot about.

The downside is you should not expect find high end-shopping and fine dining in the immediate area.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:59 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,886,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
I just don't understand how people can consider 30 miles a far commute. I guess it just reflects the insular nature of the local population.
=.
Or it reflects a desire to not spend 40 hours a week in your car, wasting money on gas/car costs, polluting the environment, and losing valuable time spent with family and friends? Tell me which attitude you think is more progressive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis