Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 08:27 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,926,015 times

Advertisements

Yes while I agree that it should be bigger with a metro our size and the amount commerce however it doesnt take away the fact that it looks amazing from the east. Even though it may not be a view that is big it looks fantastic and is my favorite view. Also keep in mind our skyline is one of the most recognizable in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 09:15 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,002,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickmama View Post
Yes while I agree that it should be bigger with a metro our size and the amount commerce however it doesnt take away the fact that it looks amazing from the east. Even though it may not be a view that is big it looks fantastic and is my favorite view. Also keep in mind our skyline is one of the most recognizable in the world.
The arch is recognizable. Take that away and you have Paducah, Kentucky.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:08 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,989,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Having passed through there (Paducah) at least 80 times in the last 30 years, I think you may be exaggerating just a tad......

Last edited by kshe95girl; 07-20-2009 at 10:30 PM..

Old 07-20-2009, 10:23 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,571,982 times
Quote:
What?????? Come on now. I think that you could do better than that, not that there is anything wrong with Paducah.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:36 AM

2,142 posts, read 4,449,991 times
Except for the undeveloped area around Busch Stadium, I think St. Louis has a fine skyline, especially (in direct contrast to D.P.'s previous statement) coming from the east, such as westbound on the Poplar Street Bridge.

As I've said here months ago, San Jose has a very diminutive skyline despite having nearly three times the population of St. Louis; and I would also add that Portland, Oregon actually has an ordinance that prohibits any buildings from being over 40 stories tall. I think the view of the Old Courthouse and surrounding buildings from the first base side at Busch Stadium is great!

Old 07-21-2009, 04:44 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,926,015 times
Paducah KY? Ha nice try!!! Go a little further east and you may realize it is more like Cinncinnati Oh.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:02 PM

Cincinnati's skyline flows. There is a balance to hit. Same with cities like Dallas and Denver.

Its not about how tall the buildings are, its how they fit in relationship to each other. There are very small cities such as Charleston, WV that have really pretty skylines - partly because of the terrain and partly because of smart architecture. New York is definitely the king of all skylines. Pittsburgh and San Diego are in there.

I'll stand be my original statement. Both Paducah and St. Louis are built on flat uninteresting flood plains. Without the Arch, Saint Louis has a skyline that could pass for any other nondescript Midwestern City.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:21 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,496,750 times
I think St. Louis' skyline provides a nice balance of the old and new, or historic as well as modern architechture. As long as you don't look too far to the North, it's pretty nice.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:46 AM

711 posts, read 2,107,282 times
Quote:
I'll stand be my original statement. Both Paducah and St. Louis are built on flat uninteresting flood plains. Without the Arch, Saint Louis has a skyline that could pass for any other nondescript Midwestern City.
One of the best lines I'll ever read in a conversation like this, and I've read it several times is "if St Louis didn't have the Arch."

My rebuttal; But...it does.
Seattle would be "just another city skyline" without the Space Needle. But Seattle does have the Space Needle.

Paducah, KY skyline, if you can call it that.

A different view of St Louis' skyline

Yeah, St Louis is definitely on par with Paducah.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:52 AM

Im sure that if you shot Paducah with a telephotoe lens (flattens the depth of field like the Saint Lou pix)

Of course St. Louis is a bigger city, but its "skyline" isn't balanced. And Like I said before it makes a bigger impression when arriving from the west.

Seattle Skyline (like most Pacific Rim Cities) is impressive, The space needle is a little bit away from the downtown area. You could tear it down tomorrow and Seattle would still be a beautiful city (especially its location on the water and near the Cascade and Olympic mountains).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis