Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 07:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,330 times

Advertisements

Not only does the fact that the skyline runs east/west when most pictures are taken with the north/south view to emphasize the arch come into play, but the fact that it's so spread out takes away from the richness the St. Louis skyline should have. Clayton is the main example. It is an extension of and wouldn't exist without St. Louis, so it could be argued that it should be included, but is for the most part left out visually.

Last edited by MattyMO; 07-19-2009 at 07:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 08:56 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,002,301 times
it looks like a real city when approaching from the west, especially through Forest Park. Its rather disappointing when coming in from the east.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:35 PM

711 posts, read 2,107,282 times
^ The most popular skyline view you will see of STL is coming from the east, pretty much because of the prominence of the Arch and the most unobstructed view of the city. But I agree, coming from the west it looks a lot nicer.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:42 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,876,006 times
The skyline looked tiny on TV during the all star game. That view from the east makes St Louis look like a city of under a million.

I wish they would have moved that blimp over midtown and taken video from that perspective. Then the city looks like a city more along the size of a metro approaching 3 million. Still a bit small, but much better than from the east.

St Louis could really use a few more 30-50 story buildings.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:48 PM

711 posts, read 2,107,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
The skyline looked tiny on TV during the all star game. That view from the east makes St Louis look like a city of under a million.

I wish they would have moved that blimp over midtown and taken video from that perspective. Then the city looks like a city more along the size of a metro approaching 3 million. Still a bit small, but much better than from the east.

St Louis could really use a few more 30-50 story buildings.
Sure, I'd take 50 more 30-50 story buildings spread out throughout the city, but remember, this is a city of under a million.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:36 PM

I think of almost all cities I have ever been to, Pittsburgh has one of the most remarkable skylines.
And if you come in through the Mount Washington Tunnels at night its like entering a fantasy land. It really is a beautiful city.

It is also much smaller than Saint Louis, but some how feels like a larger city. I know the topography of mountains/hills is a bit more attractive than a flood plain, but Pittsburgh also as some of the most interesting (modern and preserved) architecture in the United States.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:10 PM

183 posts, read 633,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
I think of almost all cities I have ever been to, Pittsburgh has one of the most remarkable skylines.
And if you come in through the Mount Washington Tunnels at night its like entering a fantasy land. It really is a beautiful city.

It is also much smaller than Saint Louis, but some how feels like a larger city. I know the topography of mountains/hills is a bit more attractive than a flood plain, but Pittsburgh also as some of the most interesting (modern and preserved) architecture in the United States.
When you actually drive through downtown Pittsburgh, the city itself doesn't seem like it covers a lot of land. I think part of that is because of the fact that it is surrounded by rivers and mountains (or large hills) so the buildings are packed in really tight.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:34 PM

The Pittsburgh downtown is pretty small, but probably bigger than the Saint Louis Downtown (just my own estimates)
But the neighborhoods are not as spread out as they are here (until you get to the East Liberty and Highland Park area)

Old 07-20-2009, 06:17 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,496,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJohnston_STL View Post
Sure, I'd take 50 more 30-50 story buildings spread out throughout the city, but remember, this is a city of under a million.

Yeah, and jack up the Urban Heat Island index by another 2-4 degrees with more concrete, steel and tar.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:57 PM

389 posts, read 902,433 times
^ tons of ways to reduce the urban heat island index and none of them have been applied here. Green roofs, smart paint (not out yet), more energy efficient windows. If we ever get 50 more buildings, I trust they'll be up to snuff.

I can't wait for BPV to go up the southside looks wimpy viewing the north-south skyline.

I read in the sunday paper that a 40 story tower on market street was part of McKee's Northside revitalization plan (?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis