Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 01:19 PM

711 posts, read 2,107,950 times

Advertisements

You're full of it. Paducah is a city of what, 25,000 with an entire metro of 50,000? Just when I thought you were getting better, back to your typical d-baggery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 04:45 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
I'm not talking about size (and I think I've pointed that out). Everyone knows that Paducah is a small city. Th epix of St. Louis was also taken with a telephoto lens, making it seem a lot senser than it really is.

I've been pretty much all over the country and sorry St. Louis wouldn't even top a 20 list of most beautiful American skylines. ( and neither would LA in case you think I have a west coast prejudice)

Off course there is the category of most recognizable skylines, and Saint Louis would probably be in the top 5, and Its all because of one structure.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:02 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,497,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post

Off course there is the category of most recognizable skylines, and Saint Louis would probably be in the top 5, and Its all because of one structure.

I agree - and it's Lumiere Place, home of the $60 hamburger!

Old 07-26-2009, 09:00 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,927,069 times
The comparisons and point made by Dins are so silly I refuse to comment any further. I wish most people would think before they speak.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:31 PM

So outside the arch, name one building that AN OUTSIDER would recognize as being distinctly St. Louis.

The outsider doesn't have to know the name of the building, but if he/she saw it in a picture would know right away that the building is in St. Louis.

There isn't one. Thats my point.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:48 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,888,122 times
Umm....with the exception of New York City I don't think I could positively identify more than 1 or 2 buildings tops of any downtown area. But I understand your constant desire to bash St. Louis so let me just comfort you by saying "Yeah Dinsdale, you are sooooo right, gosh I am soooo envious of people who live elsewhere, what am I thinking being happy here??! Even Paducah, KY is better!!"

Old 07-27-2009, 11:47 AM

Not saying anything about personal happiness. I found my niche where I am and like it here. Its a decent substitute for where I want to be.

All I'm saying about Saint Louis is that there is only one landmark that identifies this city as Saint Louis. The Court House maybe. But there are a lot cities with similar buildings on/or near the waterfront.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:30 PM

200 posts, read 632,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
So outside the arch, name one building that AN OUTSIDER would recognize as being distinctly St. Louis.

The outsider doesn't have to know the name of the building, but if he/she saw it in a picture would know right away that the building is in St. Louis.

There isn't one. Thats my point.
Umm if it wasn't for the Eiffel Tower in Paris I most likely wouldn't be able to recognize it. The same goes for telling the difference between many cities in California. If it wasn't for the Hollywood sign in L.A. I know as an outsider that I most likely wouldn't be able to tell the difference between L.A. or San Diego.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:18 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,497,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlsmoore View Post
Umm if it wasn't for the Eiffel Tower in Paris I most likely wouldn't be able to recognize it. The same goes for telling the difference between many cities in California. If it wasn't for the Hollywood sign in L.A. I know as an outsider that I most likely wouldn't be able to tell the difference between L.A. or San Diego.

Allow me to assist.

You know you're in Paris if everyone is rude, they are waving white flags, and you can only get a waiter's attention by speaking in German.

The difference between Los Angeles and San Diego is that San Diego is not completely screwed up yet. Almost, but not quite.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:49 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,451,230 times
The city of St. Louis needs to get on the ball and do something regarding Ballpark Village. Except for this, I think the skyline of St. Louis is medium-sized and just fine with me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis