Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2010, 08:08 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,831,224 times

Advertisements

Sensient to spend $16M on St. Louis plant project - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Sensient-to-spend-16M-on-St-apf-3521127694.html?x=0&.v=1 - broken link)
Strippermobile Tours St. Louis | KMOV.com | St. Louis news, Missouri news & breaking news | KMOV.com | News for St. Louis, Missouri
http://www.jg-tc.com/articles/2010/04/23/features/doc4bc8893d22226984620998.txt (broken link)
Prospective Rams owner Kroenke says he wants to stay in St. Louis - USATODAY.com
Barnes-Jewish, St. Louis Children’s Hospital and Washington University Launch Fetal Care Center to Treat High-Risk Mothers and Infants
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 05:08 PM

Ecology of Absence: Free Screening of "Beyond the Motor City" on Monday

Quote:
Thanks to the sponsorship of Citizens for Modern Transit, St. Louis is fortunate to be one of eight cities where Beyond the Motor City is being screened free -- Monday, May 17th at 7:00 p.m. at the Tivoli. Appropriately, this event falls in Historic Preservation Month. The role of public transportation in cities is often left out of the historic preservation discussion.

Immediately following the film, there will be a panel discussion moderated by KETC’s Patrick Murphy with Congressman Russ Carnahan, director Woolf, and Citizen for Modern Transit’s Tom Shrout.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:04 PM

Dillard’s building conversion downtown going “full blast” | Building Blocks | STLtoday (http://interact.stltoday.com/blogzone/building-blocks/uncategorized/2010/05/dillards-building-conversion-downtown-going-full-blast/ - broken link)
Ecology of Absence: A (Legitimate) Look Inside of the Clemens House
Time, date, party set for teardown of St. Louis Centre skybridge | Building Blocks | STLtoday (http://interact.stltoday.com/blogzone/building-blocks/uncategorized/2010/05/time-date-party-set-for-teardown-of-st-louis-centre-skybridge/ - broken link)
Vanishing STL: A Demolition to Celebrate
Saint Louis Patina: Kinloch, Part 2

Old 05-19-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Investment downtown: $4.5 billion (completed or under construction) since 2000 and $700+ million in development for 2010 and 2011
http://www.downtownstl.org/docs/FastFactsMarch2010.pdf
Urban Review STL » Blog Archive » Most readers say new bridge should be named for Dred & Harriet Scott
Urban Review STL » Blog Archive » Walkable environs still seeing investment
Costco Plans Urban Superstore Downtown « Exploring St. Louis

Old 08-10-2010, 11:18 AM

Save 750 North Taylor in Kirkwood - B.E.L.T. - St. Louis

Old 09-17-2010, 04:52 PM

Thought I would share this map
The Urbanophile » Blog Archive » Replay: Spheres of Influence

Old 09-18-2010, 09:47 PM

9 posts, read 42,745 times
Well, I guess the politics in St. Louis City is better than Chicago, BUT... we are the butt of jokes after every city election, with lost voter boxes, "forgotten" ballots. If you are NOT a Dem, just forget about voting here. The STL citizens voted for a dead Dem rather than actually thinking without their party and union bosses telling them how to vote.

As for crime, the only safe city neighborhood is St. Louis Hills. The city lies on a major fault line, & is due. All the homes are unreinforced brick built 50 to 100 yrs ago, so the city will be flattened & you can't buy earthquake insurance, because the insurance co's won't take the risk. Tell you something about choosing to buy a brick home here?? Or do you need a brick wall to fall on you first

Old 09-19-2010, 04:17 AM

4 posts, read 11,220 times
Hello
My boyfriend and I are considering moving from Sydney Australia to St Louis Missouri! We want to do something different in life, and we thought St Louis would give us an oppoirtunity to really 'live life in the USA...'

I must admit, I am a bit nervous, I think there will be huge cultural differences.

So, a few basic questions - what is the best suburb for a couple (25 years old) to live, in St Louis. We want to be close to bars, restraunts, music venus etc.

My boyfriend would be working in the city CBD, so we also need to be close to work.

Any feed back or suggestions would be great.

Thanks
Sydney Sider

Old 09-19-2010, 12:13 PM

Why the suburbs? From my understanding the best area for young people (as far as bars, restaurants, and music venues) is probably the Central West End. Granted, city schools aren't great. It doesn't sound like you have kids, though. but if you are looking to rent, you might try to the Central West End area. That seems to be the hip area for 20-somethings. There are also quite a few places to check out around the Loop. The Hill is known for its Italian. I have heard very good things about University City (which is an inner ring suburb). Based on what you want, I don't see any reason that the suburbs (especially the far out suburbs) would be what you need. The suburbs would also be farther from your husband's work.

I wasn't entirely sure where the Central Business District was. Google says it is actually Downtown. I don't know much about Downtown's nightclub scene. But there are some beautiful lofts and apartments at a reasonable price there. You can also take MetroLink between Downtown and some other areas of the city as well. Soulard in South City is also known for its bars, especially during Mardi Gras. There's no MetroLink to Soulard, but I believe there are MetroBuses.

You would probably get more replies if you created your own thread as well. And if you could post things like your budget, that would help.

Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis