Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 08:01 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,499,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieNeno View Post
Per fees, I pulled an active listing for a 3 bd/2.5 bath at $213,900.

Taxes: $2614
Annual Fee: $769

And you could pay 5x this for living in certain parts of STL City with triple the crime risk!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 08:06 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,499,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollivander11 View Post
If you always wondered what it would like living on the set of "Pleasantville" then New Town is the place for you. It seems the architects were trying to create a fake Smalltown, USA like Mayberry, only more sterile, contrived, and sorta creepy. And yes, overpriced for where and what it offers. I might add, if you're a minority trying to live then that should be interesting.

My wife (black) and I (white) just ran a 5K in New Town St. Charles a few weeks ago and were genuinely impressed by the cleanliness, hospitality and class that was New Town St. Charles. There was no sterileness or creepiness. I guess most St. Louisians figure that a bar/tavern not filled with smoke or ugly, miserable people is "sterile." You folks really need to get out more!

Old 10-04-2009, 08:09 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,015,161 times
Give it a few years to develop. It may surprise a lot of people,

Old 10-05-2009, 04:21 PM

3 posts, read 7,327 times
That place is scary. It has a nice feel, like the old movie The Lottery. I just think that if you went there real late at night one day, you'd all lights off except at this one barn that has some cavern underneath where the locals worship their dark gods with sacrifice and the lot. lol

Old 10-19-2010, 10:18 PM

2 posts, read 4,893 times
I have lived there and here is my best description. I recently moved back to Kirkwood--the real deal. Living in New Town is like a community with a breast augmentation--it looks really good, but just does not feel the same!

I could go on and on--bought my home for $451K, appraised at $512K in 2007. Just was foreclosed on (personal choice) after trying to sell the home for $325K for 1.5 years. No it does not and has not flooded this area but you may need a boat to get to this area.

Yes--it is exactly like the Truman Show--very easy to get sucked in and then extremely hard to get back out. Other problems--Greg Whittaker is the King of this neighborhood and the worst thing that could ever happen to it. Greg wants in your pockets--for ever.

The homeowners association fees go up by 8% each year and are near $800. This includes you post office box rental each year of $25. And includes pools for your live in family only (guest are $10 each per day). You also pay a Neighborhood Improvement Fee each of 20 consecutive years at $350. If you do not get a pool pass you are not allowed to swim in the lakes either. The place is like a lady who loves make-up--high maintenance. Move to Kirkwood, Glendale, Des Peres, Brentwood and get all this at the real deal FOR FREE!

Lived in New Town for five years.

Home now in Kirkwood--the real deal. Nothing is fake or fantasy about Kirkwood!!!

Me

Last edited by Kirkwood home; 10-19-2010 at 10:21 PM.. Reason: Gramar

Old 10-20-2010, 07:23 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,889,732 times
I've been doing some reading on new urbanism developments. Some of them are pretty neat. When you connect these projects to the larger community through mass transit, add at least some element of sustainability, and throw in some mixed-income housing - you can create a vibrant, interesting community.

New Town is a suburban community that is designed better than most other contemporary suburban communities. But to call it urban, in any context of the word, is pretty much a cruel joke.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:46 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,600,257 times
I think the New Town concept would work somewhere like the NorthSide redevelopment. Not isolated in a cornfield.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:51 AM

308 posts, read 427,677 times
I wonder what the diversity in New Town is like.

Old 10-20-2010, 11:20 AM

787 posts, read 1,415,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyc0803 View Post
I wonder what the diversity in New Town is like.
Blondes, brunettes and redheads.

inahandbasket

Old 10-20-2010, 11:40 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,021,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moorlander View Post
I think the New Town concept would work somewhere like the NorthSide redevelopment. Not isolated in a cornfield.
Yeah, right?
I mean, I can just see the Newtown foks mingling with the locals at Boschertown Pub, lol.....
Actually, I may have to go meet my aunt and cousins for a drink there, just to see if any Newtowners stray in....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis