Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 05:11 PM

2 posts, read 7,567 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at moving to the McKinley Heights/Benton Park area and was wondering if anyone had any experience/input. Mostly wondering about the crime, what streets to look for/stay away from and how rent is.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 08:22 PM

1 posts, read 5,344 times
My wife and I have lived in McKinley Heights for about two years. We really like the neighborhood; it’s a good mix of young couples, grad school students, families and older residents. It's a safe neighborhood and in easy walking distance to both Lafayette Square and Soulard. The nicer blocks are Russell and everything in between Russell and Lafayette Square. The blocks south of Russell are still in the process of being renovated and it's kind of hit or miss. Crime there is not an issue but some of the homes aren't as nice. From what I've heard rent is between $500-$700 for a 2bd flat.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:35 AM

3,618 posts, read 3,053,720 times
I like the area of Benton Park bounded by Sidney (north), I-55 (east), Arsenal (south), and Jefferson (west). In that area you will find some of the neighborhoods best attractions-- Sidney Street Cafe (fine dining), Venice Cafe (which is a cool bar), Frazers, Gus's Pretzels-- close by to the north of there is Hodak's (good fried chicken) and Blues City Deli (sandwiches). Close by to the south is Cherokee Row Antique district. Benton Park itself is a very attractive park-- I've often thought it would be cool to live on Arsenal overlooking Benton Park itself. The stretch of Jefferson just north of Arsenal has always seemed like it is poised to become an interesting retail/entertainment district-- there is at least one nice restaurant there (forget the name). There are a lot of other little bars and restaurants in that area that are worth checking out. There is definitely some crime in the area and some pockets of blighted housing, but nothing overly dangerous for a single male, or anyone who is somewhat street smart. I knew a young single female (Wash U grad student) who bought a house down there and she never had any major problems. I would stay east of Jefferson, though, because I perceive more widespread poverty and crime problems over that way.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:48 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,613,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
I've often thought it would be cool to live on Arsenal overlooking Benton Park itself.
There's one for sale right now actually for what seems to be a very good price (It's a short sale).

Coldwell Banker Gundaker -- Your site for St. Louis Real Estate

If you check out the link there are some nice pictures of the view of the park.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:57 AM

3,618 posts, read 3,053,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
There's one for sale right now actually for what seems to be a very good price (It's a short sale).

Coldwell Banker Gundaker -- Your site for St. Louis Real Estate

If you check out the link there are some nice pictures of the view of the park.
That does seem like a good price.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:01 AM

I suspect if you put about 35k into it -- gut the kitchen, really finish the place out -- and stick around for five years you'd make yourself a tidy little profit.

I also like that area because you're less than about a mile and a half walk across Arsenal (which stays pretty nice all the way) from Grand so you could easily take a Saturday walk over to Tower Grove Park and have lunch on Grand.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:25 PM
TGS

360 posts, read 1,721,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I suspect if you put about 35k into it -- gut the kitchen, really finish the place out -- and stick around for five years you'd make yourself a tidy little profit.

I also like that area because you're less than about a mile and a half walk across Arsenal (which stays pretty nice all the way) from Grand so you could easily take a Saturday walk over to Tower Grove Park and have lunch on Grand.
I don't think that I would call Arsenal between Jefferson and Gravois "nice."

Old 03-03-2009, 07:45 AM

But I wouldn't think twice about walking through that area on a Saturday afternoon. My point being that some of the streets south of Arsenal in that area get really shady -- Arsenal is nice in comparison.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:32 AM

803 posts, read 2,969,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
I like the area of Benton Park bounded by Sidney (north), I-55 (east), Arsenal (south), and Jefferson (west). In that area you will find some of the neighborhoods best attractions-- Sidney Street Cafe (fine dining), Venice Cafe (which is a cool bar), Frazers, Gus's Pretzels-- close by to the north of there is Hodak's (good fried chicken) and Blues City Deli (sandwiches). Close by to the south is Cherokee Row Antique district. Benton Park itself is a very attractive park-- I've often thought it would be cool to live on Arsenal overlooking Benton Park itself. The stretch of Jefferson just north of Arsenal has always seemed like it is poised to become an interesting retail/entertainment district-- there is at least one nice restaurant there (forget the name). There are a lot of other little bars and restaurants in that area that are worth checking out. There is definitely some crime in the area and some pockets of blighted housing, but nothing overly dangerous for a single male, or anyone who is somewhat street smart. I knew a young single female (Wash U grad student) who bought a house down there and she never had any major problems. I would stay east of Jefferson, though, because I perceive more widespread poverty and crime problems over that way.

I lived at 2002 Senate Street, right behind Sidney St. Cafe', for about four years and never had any problems over there.... it was walking distance to Soulard (albeit, a spirited walk), and all the places you mention are exactly as you say!

I would have bought in the area i there'd been a way or me to do so during that time, before I left the aea altogether....

Old 03-03-2009, 08:15 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,925,845 times
Dude thats a very nice house for that price. If I wasnt in a downtown condo I would go take a good look at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis