Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 05:00 PM

729 posts, read 2,067,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcitygirl View Post
You would be comfortable making 80,000 in St Louis.
They are trying to lowball me to $70K...is that still enough?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 05:31 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,927,069 times
Yes

Old 07-28-2009, 07:08 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,497,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth from ELP View Post
They are trying to lowball me to $70K...is that still enough?

Why the sudden drop in salary? I would try to get back to the original offer. Don't be intimidated by any company, even in this economy. You and your young family are the ones relocating and making a substantial change of lifestyle.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman84 View Post

Why the sudden drop in salary? I would try to get back to the original offer. Don't be intimidated by any company, even in this economy. You and your young family are the ones relocating and making a substantial change of lifestyle.
Trust me I am sticking to my requirements. Now they are asking to see past W-2 forms from previous years. This is getting worse by the day.

They as with many other employers are taking advantage of the market and trying to get more skills for less salaries. Monsanto thinks they own the world and think they can do what they want all of the time. Leading AG genetic seed altering firm or not...they are not gonna get me for cheap.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:48 PM

3,618 posts, read 3,055,372 times
Monsanto is in Creve Couer, so if you could find a house there you'd be in great shape, but a decent 4 bed 2 bath there will cost a lot-- I would estimate $250k on up to $1MM or more. Some of Creve Couer (west of Mosely) is Parkway school district, east of Mosely is Ladue schools-- both excellent school districts. Olivette, just east of Creve Couer, is also in Ladue schools, and very close to Monsanto. Further west would be Chesterfield, also Parkway schools. Northwest of Creve Couer is Maryland Heights, and I have heard the Pattonville schools are good, though not as well thought of as Parkway or Ladue. Straight down Lindbergh from Monsanto maybe 3-4 miles south is Kirkwood, another on of the most lauded public school districts in the metro, and worth keeping in mind. Good luck with the negotiations, don't sell yourself short.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:54 PM

[quote=Smooth from ELP;9993248]Trust me I am sticking to my requirements. Now they are asking to see past W-2 forms from previous years. This is getting worse by the day.

Smooth, I've been a senior accounting/finance professional for years, and I have never heard of a future, potential employer requesting W-2 forms from prior years. In fact, I would challenge and research the legality of such. It disappoints me to see Monsanto, one of the finer organizations in theSt. Louis metro, resorting to such strange/unorthodox/legally questionable tactics.

Ultimately, it is the decision of you and your family, but I would stick to your guns and challenge anything that appears out of the ordinary. Good luck to you and your family in whatever decision you make.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:59 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,927,069 times
I'v been asked for a previous w2 form for a potential employer before. It just so happen to be one of the biggest banks in the country.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:04 PM

Did the potential employer state the reason/rationale for requesting such?

Old 07-29-2009, 06:39 AM

They are claiming due diligence. In the past they have been duped by new employees lying about their salary and employment history. They have even asked me to purchase a web cam so they can take a snapshot of me to make sure I am the same person on the phone and in person.

Keep in mind all this is coming from a recruiting firm that places hires for them on a regular basis. They claim the requests are from Monsanto and not from them.

I have asked and in Texas it is legal. I am checking into your state presently. I have been told I have the right to refuse but most of the time it means no job offer would be extended.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:31 AM

3,618 posts, read 3,055,372 times
I was in negoatiations for a job with the Coca Cola Bottling Company. The hiring manager asked me my current salary, clearly didn't believe my answer, and immediately requested that I send her my w2s. It was kind of awkward for her I am sure when I sent them to her. I decided not to take the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis