Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2009, 04:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,362 times

Advertisements

We're trying to decide whether or not to send our children to school at one of these elementary schools in the Parkway School District--Greentrails, Shenandoah, River Bend, or Highcroft Ridge. Any specific information pertaining to the educational experience, school culture, principals etc would be appreciated. We favor homeschooling or private education but might be willing to give public education a chance if it provides the right fit and challenge for our children. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 11:11 PM

787 posts, read 1,415,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InquisitiveOne View Post
We're trying to decide whether or not to send our children to school at one of these elementary schools in the Parkway School District--Greentrails, Shenandoah, River Bend, or Highcroft Ridge. Any specific information pertaining to the educational experience, school culture, principals etc would be appreciated. We favor homeschooling or private education but might be willing to give public education a chance if it provides the right fit and challenge for our children. Thank you.
The Parkway school district is excellent, speaking as a parent who just graduated one daughter last May and has # 2 daughter in Parkway West High.

The elementary schools through high schools are excellent. What exactly are you wanting to know?

Artistically speaking, the Parkway school system has a modified Suzuki strings program in which ALL third graders take violin lessons. The strings teacher at Shenandoah and River Bend (she travels between those two schools) is especially excellent, FYI.

inahandbasket

Old 08-20-2009, 04:16 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,442,041 times
I couldn't possibly speak to what Green Trails is like today, but I went there in the early '70s and it was an awesome experience. My fifth grade teacher, Mrs. Foster, taught me the greatest lesson I've ever learned in my life, and I have saved myself a lot of money and heartache by applying it throughout my entire life.

Read Everything Before Doing Anything.

There is nothing like being embarrassed in front of your entire class (98% of whom were also embarrassed) to drive a lesson home.

I can't tell you how many things I have "lined out" of contracts, or terms I've refused to accept before signing on the dotted line, because I READ EVERYTHING before doing ANYTHING. I made the sales rep at the motorcycle dealership insane, as I sat and read the entire sales contract. I found 2 terms I refused to initial, and he agreed to strike them. I've had an exterminator remove the clause that they're not responsible for damage to my roof while they climb around on it.

And I even got the City of Redondo Beach to have their City Attorney change their standard "Release of Liability", when I pointed out that they were asking me to sign away my or my family's right to pursue civil damages in the event that I suffered injury or death caused by INTENTIONAL acts by the police department. I pointed out that, although it was highly unlikely to ever happen, that basically meant that an officer could point a gun at my head and shoot me, and even if he were found guilty of murder or attempted murder in a criminal court, we'd have no rights to sue him in civil court.

They'd been using that form city-wide for years and no one ever even noticed that before, let alone refused to sign that document because of it. Thankfully the City Attorney agreed with me that it had no business in that release.

If they're still hiring teachers as awesome as Mrs. Foster, you won't go wrong sending your children there!

By the way, you can get the course curriculum for all the grade levels and courses at the Parkway schools, here. That might help you figure out if you think it's a fit for your kids.

Last edited by Jill61; 08-20-2009 at 04:34 PM..

Old 09-03-2009, 03:21 PM

419 posts, read 1,333,282 times
Green Trails is still a very reputable school. I have 3 friends who currently send their children there and are extremely pleased. I have also heard positive things about Highcroft.

Though my children are not in any of the 4 that you mentioned, they do do to a Parkway Elementary School and I, literally, could not be happier. Period. Awesome experience thus far (5th and 2nd grade). In addition, should your child experience any academic bumps along the way... you want them to be in Parkway! From experience, their special reading program is unprecedented. There is only one of the elementary schools in Parkway (West) that I have negative feelings about, but I don't want to post it publicly on here. It wasn't one on your list, but if curious... you can message me privately.

Old 09-05-2009, 02:59 AM

9 posts, read 28,003 times
I went to Parkway North. Not sure what elementary schools you listed go to which high school. But Parkway is supposed to be one of the best districts in the area, whichever one you choose.

I went to McKelvey elementary school (this is in Maryland Heights) and it was extremely awesome! I still like to go visit it sometimes! Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis