Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2009, 05:23 AM

1 posts, read 2,329 times

Advertisements

Okay, here goes... December 2007, I was an unemployed, non-insured, single mother attending college full time. My household bills were paid every month on time using student loans and child support. Rarely was there extra money at the end of the month to put away in savings. I had a chipped molar tooth that became infected fast. I tried to take the pain, but one night I just couldn't take it anymore, so to the Emergency Room was my only option for relief. One hour later, my temperature was 103, and my jaw began to swell rapidly. I was placed on an IV and admitted. I spent 3 days in the hospital. I had mentioned to several staff members that I didn't have health insurance for myself, just my child. I received bill for this incident and knew that it was impossible for me to make any payment arrangement. I talked to a few of the billing agents and of course no one took into consideration of my financial situation. Now it is on my credit report and I'm getting ready to move into a town home which requires a credit check/ report.

Questions:

1) Is there any kind of pardon, disput or something that can help me get out of this debt, or at least have it taken off my credit report?

2) Does anyone know if just having medical debts on a credit report will reduce my chances of being approved for rental of town house?

3) Also, can a collection company remain listed as a debt, on your credit report if they no longer are employed by the original creditor? (if this is not worded right or is hard to understand please feel free to ask me questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 07:39 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,013,955 times
if this is the only hiccup (probably more like a big beer belch) on your credit report, it shouldn't be a problem in renting a town home.

One technique that I have heard of is to contest that entry, which will then be temporarily removed for 15 days. I AM NOT SURE IF THIS TECHNIQUE WORKS but it may be an option worth checking to.

Companies buy debt. Its one if the reasons this country is in a financial mess. I never fully understood the concept. Your debt is still collectable.

There are plans to reduce what you owe if not eliminated it all together. I'm sure the bill on an uninsured three day stay in a hospital well over $15K. There are plans to reduce, or even eliminate that amount owed. Just be careful who you use.

(and lets not let this thread turn into a healthcare debate. Shadow will appreciate that)

Old 08-30-2009, 08:40 AM

22 posts, read 71,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
(and lets not let this thread turn into a healthcare debate. Shadow will appreciate that)

OK. This is a sad situation facing millions of people in the USA. I feel for you. I assume you tried to get Medicaid to help you at the time of the incident. Your hosptial worker should have been able to call in a county worker to evaluate you. If you had been approved that coverage would have been retroactive.

As for the now. You might consider carefully drafting the facts only. Then send that a letter to each of the big three credit reporting agencies asking that it be made a permanent part of your file, until or unless that hospital debt is dissolved. Don't whine, don't enter personal feelings, jus the facts.

Show all 3 credit companies as the "TO:", and print an original to send to each one. Put a checkmark next to the name of the agency you are sending that particular letter to. In order words, treat them each with respect.

Give a copy of that letter to whomever your home mortgage banker is, and the realtor you are using. What I am saying is hit this up front. Bring it up, up front.

When I bought my first townhome on mortage, the credit report pulled up a lien filed against me by the State of California for $600. I have never lived in California and you know that was going to take a million years to clear so I just paid the $600 and didn't look back. The mortage company was not going to approve me with the lien. Bad stuff happens to good people, eh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis