Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 12:33 AM

29 posts, read 106,804 times

Advertisements

My family and I will be visiting St. Louis this October for about a week. St. Louis is very high on our list of cities for relocating to in a few years time. As we will be in the area we thought it might be nice to take a tour of some of the neighborhoods that we would possibly want to move to.

A suburb inside the loop or a city neighborhood would be good. We have three daughters, all under four, so a child friendly and safe neighborhood is a must. Good schools are also a must, but we can consider private schools if it makes sense. We woudl like a walkable neighborhood, lots of kids and not too much traffic in the streets. Our budget for a house is so far undefined, but we are thinking in the $500k range. I like the red brick architecture of St. Louis very much.

Some of the neighborhoods I have on the list include: Compton Heights, Tower Grove South, portions of Tower Grove East, Central West End, Shaw, Lafayette Square.

I have also considered the Hill, but not sure what areas would be worth looking into.

I have heard good things about the schools in Clayton, Ladue and Richmond Heights, but I am not sure what areas of these would be good to see.

Thanks much,
Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 01:43 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,873,079 times
Steve,
I live a block away from Compton Heights, it's spectacular. I walk through there almost everyday, I love looking at all the beautiful houses. It's very close to Tower Grove Park, South Grand and just a few minutes from downtown. I always see lots of kids playing in the streets so your kids will have other children to play with. They also have a Compton Heights band that plays in the Tower Grove Park throughout the summer. If I could afford it, I would choose Compton Heights hands down. (I just overall prefer the city) I'm sure most of the kids go to private schools, the neighbors will be able to help you with choosing the right one. Here is their website: Welcome to Compton Heights Historic Neighborhood (http://www.chnba.org/textonly.asp?NavButton=01&Dept_ID=0&Main=Y&.asp.as p - broken link)
Clayton, Ladue and Richmond Heights have great schools, but it can be pricey. Parts of Richmond Heights are in the Clayton school district. I would also give a look to Webster Groves, it has good schools and its a very pretty area.

Old 08-15-2009, 04:05 PM
TGS

360 posts, read 1,721,858 times
For your price range, you should look at Compton Heights, Flora Place in Shaw, Utah Street in Tower Grove South, or St. Louis Hills around Francis Park.

You will probably want to budget in the cost of private schools, which can range from relatively inexpensive for Catholic schools, to extremely expensive for independant schools. There are some nice magnet and charter schools, but there are lotteries for admission.

You should also consider looking around downtown Webster Groves and downtown Kirkwood. They are very family-oriented walkable areas with excellent public schools.

Old 08-15-2009, 10:12 PM

1,124 posts, read 3,593,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcitygirl View Post
Steve,
I live a block away from Compton Heights, it's spectacular. I walk through there almost everyday, I love looking at all the beautiful houses. It's very close to Tower Grove Park, South Grand and just a few minutes from downtown. I always see lots of kids playing in the streets so your kids will have other children to play with. They also have a Compton Heights band that plays in the Tower Grove Park throughout the summer. If I could afford it, I would choose Compton Heights hands down. (I just overall prefer the city) I'm sure most of the kids go to private schools, the neighbors will be able to help you with choosing the right one. Here is their website: Welcome to Compton Heights Historic Neighborhood (http://www.chnba.org/textonly.asp?NavButton=01&Dept_ID=0&Main=Y&.asp.as p - broken link)
Clayton, Ladue and Richmond Heights have great schools, but it can be pricey. Parts of Richmond Heights are in the Clayton school district. I would also give a look to Webster Groves, it has good schools and its a very pretty area.
We've probably seen eachother than .

Old 08-15-2009, 10:20 PM

1,124 posts, read 3,593,737 times
I agree with an earlier poster who mentioned Flora Place in the Shaw neighborhood. The Shaw neighborhood is trendy, very urban, diverse, great access to South Grand, Tower Grove Park, and the city, it has good private schools (public schools are below average, but Kenard CJA is nearby and is gifted public), and is very walkable. Not to mention, Flora Place is one of the best streets in St. Louis. Saint Margaret of Scotland School (Pre-K to 8th), my alma mater that I attended 10 years. It is Catholic, I was not along with about one-fifth of the student body, so if your children aren't Catholic they'll still be accepted and welcomed. St. Margaret of Scotland School - St. Louis Missouri

Old 08-16-2009, 11:58 AM

1,117 posts, read 2,927,069 times
Dont forget to check out Soulard. Great neighborhood with a lot to offer. It also has the oldest farmers market this side of the big river.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:10 AM

147 posts, read 383,845 times
Check out St. Louis Hills as well. Tons of kids, great homes. Your $500k will go far in that neighborhood.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:01 PM

29 posts, read 106,804 times
Thanks for the great feedback. I have added Soulard, St. Louis Hills and Webster Grove to my list of neighborhoods to drive.

I'm so excited about this visit, I only wish it had been a little earlier to give me a better chance of catching a Cards game.

Old 08-22-2009, 02:48 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
all of the neighborhoods mentioned are fabulous!
Would someone please let me know if this house in Compton Heights ever goes up for sale? Its my dream house in my dream neighborhood! -sigh-

I JUST left STL, and am homesick already........

Old 08-27-2009, 08:53 AM

270 posts, read 656,193 times
You can get a nice place for that. You will need a private schoool. Also make sure you willl be able to resell whatever you buy, chances are when the kids gets older you'll probably move again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis