Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2009, 11:56 PM

560 posts, read 1,715,810 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I will be driving from New Mexico to Ohio this coming week. I was planning to spend the night in / near St. Louis and thought I'd go to the Cardinals game on Wednesday evening.

I've never really stopped in St. Louis before except to get some food and I have never been to the stadium either. Is there plenty of parking near the stadium? Should be easy to get one cheap ticket on a Wednesday night right? Is there any food at the stadium that I should absolutely try? i.e.... special hot dog like the Dodger Dog or Fenway Frank? Or something else unique to the Cardinals / St. Louis?

Looking forward to visiting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 04:01 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,805,645 times
Yes, should be no problem getting tix. However, it will be crowded, 40k plus. What you want to do is buy scalped tix at game time. Arrive no earlier than 30 minutes before the game, and start your bartering at or near first pitch or after. You should not have a problem despite the team's success and popularity. There's always tix to be had and not a need to go to ticket booth. It'll be pretty full, even during the week, during school.

Food. Toasted Ravioli I suppose, is a St. Louis thing, appetizer type item of meat filled fried ravioli. This can be had at the ballpark.

There's a restaurant walking distance from park, Charlie Gitto's, which has it and other solid food at reasonable casual prices.

I'll skip Mike Shannon's restaurant unless you are willing to pay unlimited prices...for their steaks and seafood.

Pappy's Smokehouse is in Midtown, easy 5 minute side street drive, for best BBQ in town, casual joint. Get there no later than 7pm...that time or any time earlier than that is fine.(they only cook for same day and no re-heat and when it's gone it's gone.) It's absurdly good.

Parking lots are cheap in Stl for baseball. Just park in one of the Kiener Plaza garages. Side street parking also available for free and a short walk.

Generally speaking Busch Stadium food and beverage are among the league's highest priced, not cheap or affordable...no different to many other places.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:52 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,874,721 times
Calicos is also within walking distance and I've heard their pizza is some of the best in the city. One of my favorite places in St Louis is called Broadway Oyster Bar, its also within walking distance.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:39 PM

560 posts, read 1,715,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtacos View Post
Yes, should be no problem getting tix. However, it will be crowded, 40k plus. What you want to do is buy scalped tix at game time. Arrive no earlier than 30 minutes before the game, and start your bartering at or near first pitch or after. You should not have a problem despite the team's success and popularity. There's always tix to be had and not a need to go to ticket booth. It'll be pretty full, even during the week, during school.

Food. Toasted Ravioli I suppose, is a St. Louis thing, appetizer type item of meat filled fried ravioli. This can be had at the ballpark.

There's a restaurant walking distance from park, Charlie Gitto's, which has it and other solid food at reasonable casual prices.

I'll skip Mike Shannon's restaurant unless you are willing to pay unlimited prices...for their steaks and seafood.

Pappy's Smokehouse is in Midtown, easy 5 minute side street drive, for best BBQ in town, casual joint. Get there no later than 7pm...that time or any time earlier than that is fine.(they only cook for same day and no re-heat and when it's gone it's gone.) It's absurdly good.

Parking lots are cheap in Stl for baseball. Just park in one of the Kiener Plaza garages. Side street parking also available for free and a short walk.

Generally speaking Busch Stadium food and beverage are among the league's highest priced, not cheap or affordable...no different to many other places.
Thank you very much! I very excited about the game! I grew-up going to Dodger Stadium so 40k+ people will seem just about right! It'll be a nice change since I have been watching the Albuquerque Isotopes that last couple of years and it's pathetic by comparison! LoL I will also be seeing the Cardinal again at PNC Park in Pittsburgh on Saturday! LOL... just worked out that way!

Toasted Ravioli is something new to me... I'll give it a try.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:48 AM

1,869 posts, read 5,805,645 times
I'm not a fan of the overuse of the term "overrated," but toasted ravioli will fall into that same category of the Dodger Dog. You'll try it to say you tried it, and it's fine, not bad, etc...but you likely won't realize what the fuss is about and that's fine. But you can say you had it. It's solid finger food stuff.

PNC Park is very nice. One of few best in the league. St. Louis will score well for atmosphere, fans, quality of play, etc...and solid, okay and nothing more in terms of park, imo.

The mentioned Caleco's is walking distance from the park as well, bar fare. St. Louis style pizza is cracker thin crust can be had there, cut into squares with provel cheese. Some people love it, some people hate it, and some people think pizza is pizza and can eat any kind of pizza. This would also be a St. Louis thing besides the toasted ravioli. Get the Toasted Rav's at Charlie Gitto's, walking distance to the park if you get those. Don't get confused if you do. Charlie Gitto's has a casual place near the park and an upscale Italian restaurant, across town in the Italian section of St. Louis. You want the one on 7th street. To get to Pappy's, just head west on Olive 1-2 miles, it's on your left near SLU's campus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
View detailed profiles of: