Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 01:11 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,335,694 times

Advertisements

It's on my list to possibly live there or in the area. I want to live close to St. Louis but not in the city as I like smaller areas.
I'm wondering about the cost of living. I know it's less expensive than NM.
NM is pretty much driving me away because of living expenses and charging a lot of money for the use of water.
I've lived in Mo. in the past (Poplar Bluff) and I have family in the St. Louis area but they don't seem to know much about Arnold.
Any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 04:00 PM

70 posts, read 228,968 times
As far as providing a low cost of living and still being relatively close to St. Louis, Arnold has a lot going for it which is likely one of the reasons it has seen a good deal of growth this decade. As a disclaimer, I should note that I live in a safe and quiet neighborhood in the city with older and well-maintained brick homes and a strong community feel, and Arnold is not really the kind of place I would want to raise my family because it is rather lacking in diversity and I don't see a lot of character in most of the newer homes and businesses being built there. With that being said, I lived in Arnold for a good part of my life growing up, and my parents still live there. It's a safe and quiet community, and though you will often hear people crack jokes about how everyone in Jefferson County is a "redneck," I think you'll find that at least in Arnold the tendency is more middle class with plenty of blue collar mixed in. If I had to choose between somewhere like O'Fallon in St. Charles County or Arnold in Jefferson County (I'm not sure why, but the two seem to me rather similar), I'd probably go with Arnold if only for the fact that the commute up I-55 to St. Louis is a breeze. For shopping, there is a new Arnold Commons with groceries, chain restaurants, etc. and South County Mall is right up I-55 (though located in St. Louis County, not Jefferson County, a distinction those living in St. Louis County would likely be quick to point out). Bottom line: If it is the kind of place you're looking for (newer construction, chain restaurants, suburban, etc.) then you could do a lot worse than Arnold, MO.

Old 11-01-2009, 04:09 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,886,287 times
Arnold is a decent place, it is more suburban than other parts of Jefferson County which are more rural. Everything is relatively new since the area expanded greatly in the last 20 years or so. The commute downtown or elsewhere in the area is a breeze thanks to 55 and 270. It's more or less a continuation of south St. Louis county, which if you know about that area then you will know what to expect. Very auto centric, little in the way of diversity, no real public transportation, safe, generic, decent schools, and affordable. If that is what you are looking for, and I think it more or less is, then you will like it.

Old 11-01-2009, 08:34 PM

Thank you both for your responses.
I've only been there once and that was briefly. I like the smaller type towns but not too small.
I was reading on something I googled that the water rates just went up to 67 per quarter? That's important to me as in NM, most places pay close to 100 a month and that's just to have the continuing service - the water we use above that is extra.
I'm basically looking for a nice, smaller type area close to a city, not much crime, and affordable. I know living in the midwest is a lot less expensive and that's important to me now.
No kids at home so I don't have to think about the schools.

Are there walking paths, parks and dog parks in Arnold?

When I leave here in the future, I will miss the mountains and the climate but that's about the only thing.

Old 11-01-2009, 09:08 PM

70 posts, read 228,968 times
The water rates have increased slightly, but rates in the midwest will be nothing like you experience in the southwest. My family's water bill is around $30 per month and is a set rate, regardless of how much water is consumed in a given month. There are a few small parks in Arnold that I know of, including Arnold Park, Ferd B. Lang, and a few others. Parks and public spaces, though, are not going to be its forte. In St. Louis City and the inner ring 'burbs, neighborhoods are often built around parks and as a result there is a tendency towards a reasonably high level of walkability. In Arnold, most likely you will need to drive a bit for most things.

The best thing would certainly just be to drive around and see if it feels right to you. I would urge though, when you visit, based on your inquiry about walking paths, parks, etc. to at least check out some of the inner ring suburbs of St. Louis County, as well as some neighborhoods in the city itself. Based on what you've indicated, in the county I'd be looking at Maplewood, Shrewsbury, and most of South County; in the city, I'd be looking at St. Louis Hills (pricier), Southampton, Holly Hills, Princeton Heights. That should at least get you started.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:43 AM

270 posts, read 655,822 times
Arnold is a pretty OK place. There is one particular stretch that's apartments then trailers that's pretty bummy. It's on the outskirts if memory serves me, though. Arnold is more working class than some of the West CO burbs, but it's also much less expensive. There are lots of places to walk out there, look up conservation areas (I wouldn't walk them during deer season though just to be safe)

Old 11-02-2009, 11:11 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
arnold city park abuts the meramec river and has a small dog park toward the rear. i take my dogs there during the week, but i am not really crazy about it..... it is small and can be VERY crowded...... and not all of the people bringing their dogs there are strict about following the rules......

the park also has a nice path behind this area that runs along the river in a loop of about 2-1/2 miles..... looks like it used to be a subdivision or neighborhood that was likely bought out after the flooding in 1993. you can still see where houses were and in one area, you can see where 3 streets used to be......i'm sure there are people here who know the whole story and will fill in the blanks or make corrections......

i like it because it is FLAT and easy on my knees..... one of my dogs LOVES the woods...... the other one is still building confidence in himself so is a little more nervous......

there are at least 3 albino deer in this park and it is not unusual to see 2 or 3 or more deer or fawns run across the path in front of you.....

one of the roads / paths (the one closest to the river) floods with regularity ..... the rest of the park is usually ok, although the entire park is closed right now, i'm guessing because the meramec's crest is going to be higher than we saw in the spring and they are anticipating the entire park being flooded......

ALSO.... fenton is just down 141 from arnold and has GREAT parks..... although no dog park yet..... st. louis is REALLY lacking in this area..... i take my dogs clear out to defiance on the weekends because THAT is a really nice dog park...... there are some dog parks here and there, but most require a member fee and most also require you to be a resident of the municipality or neighborhood in which the park lies.........

Old 11-02-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtwobaldguy View Post
Arnold is a pretty OK place. There is one particular stretch that's apartments then trailers that's pretty bummy. It's on the outskirts if memory serves me, though. Arnold is more working class than some of the West CO burbs, but it's also much less expensive. There are lots of places to walk out there, look up conservation areas (I wouldn't walk them during deer season though just to be safe)
I like the less expensive sound of it.

About deer season, are you talking about the deer or the hunters? We have tons of deer here. I have dogs so they run away. No hunting here either legally so I'm hoping I don't have to worry about some hunter shooting me.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:44 PM

Good to know about the dogs and a park they can walk in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
arnold city park abuts the meramec river and has a small dog park toward the rear. i take my dogs there during the week, but i am not really crazy about it..... it is small and can be VERY crowded...... and not all of the people bringing their dogs there are strict about following the rules......

the park also has a nice path behind this area that runs along the river in a loop of about 2-1/2 miles..... looks like it used to be a subdivision or neighborhood that was likely bought out after the flooding in 1993. you can still see where houses were and in one area, you can see where 3 streets used to be......i'm sure there are people here who know the whole story and will fill in the blanks or make corrections......

i like it because it is FLAT and easy on my knees..... one of my dogs LOVES the woods...... the other one is still building confidence in himself so is a little more nervous......

there are at least 3 albino deer in this park and it is not unusual to see 2 or 3 or more deer or fawns run across the path in front of you.....

one of the roads / paths (the one closest to the river) floods with regularity ..... the rest of the park is usually ok, although the entire park is closed right now, i'm guessing because the meramec's crest is going to be higher than we saw in the spring and they are anticipating the entire park being flooded......

ALSO.... fenton is just down 141 from arnold and has GREAT parks..... although no dog park yet..... st. louis is REALLY lacking in this area..... i take my dogs clear out to defiance on the weekends because THAT is a really nice dog park...... there are some dog parks here and there, but most require a member fee and most also require you to be a resident of the municipality or neighborhood in which the park lies.........

Old 11-02-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhillstl View Post
The water rates have increased slightly, but rates in the midwest will be nothing like you experience in the southwest. My family's water bill is around $30 per month and is a set rate, regardless of how much water is consumed in a given month. There are a few small parks in Arnold that I know of, including Arnold Park, Ferd B. Lang, and a few others. Parks and public spaces, though, are not going to be its forte. In St. Louis City and the inner ring 'burbs, neighborhoods are often built around parks and as a result there is a tendency towards a reasonably high level of walkability. In Arnold, most likely you will need to drive a bit for most things.

The best thing would certainly just be to drive around and see if it feels right to you. I would urge though, when you visit, based on your inquiry about walking paths, parks, etc. to at least check out some of the inner ring suburbs of St. Louis County, as well as some neighborhoods in the city itself. Based on what you've indicated, in the county I'd be looking at Maplewood, Shrewsbury, and most of South County; in the city, I'd be looking at St. Louis Hills (pricier), Southampton, Holly Hills, Princeton Heights. That should at least get you started.
Thanks - I'll check on these other places too when I visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis