Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 02:11 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,348,336 times

Advertisements

Please share with me your likes and dislikes....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 08:15 PM

325 posts, read 851,561 times
You might check out this link...
//www.city-data.com/forum/st-louis/746142-positives-negatives-living-st-louis.html

I'm not sure how to answer your question. What information are you looking for?

Old 11-16-2009, 09:24 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,348,336 times
Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

I was basically not looking for information so much but more of why people like or dislike the St. Louis area and the areas surrounding it.

This link is not pulling up. Maybe it's expired.

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 11-16-2009 at 10:44 AM..

Old 11-16-2009, 10:13 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,015,161 times
I think the link was pulled because it went negative.

This is pretty much of what it was all about:

This is what you'll get from the local/native population:

Great architecture
Great museums
Rich History
Great zoo
Great Restaurants
Lots of things to do.

and I will agree with most of them/ but architecture is OK but not great; and the things to do list is a little short)

and thats about it.

This is what you will get from transplants like me:

Friendly population.
Lack of proactivity in the business community (try to get an automotive dealer, mortgage broker, real estate agent, government service worker or potential employer to provide proper paper work, return your calls or emails).
Half-arse way of doing things / Lots of incomplete or unmaintained projects scattered about.
insularity and parochialism to the highest degree.
Compared to other places i've lived, the topography here is rather bland and unexciting (and if you are coming from New Mexico you will immediately know what I mean).

You better have a job lined up before you move here.

Take it for what its worth.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:00 AM

4,682 posts, read 12,063,163 times
link referred to above is actually: //www.city-data.com/forum/st-lo...-st-louis.html

Some other threads that may help answer your question:
//www.city-data.com/forum/st-lo...-st-louis.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/st-lo...ghborhood.html
etc...

Now, question back to you - what brings this question here? Anything specifically sparking your interest?

good town, relatively inexpensive area, relatively easy commutes, wonderful sports, good/rich history, hidden & great architect & buildings, people, close to many outdoor activities, great & unique food, interesting & communities in and around the area...

Dislikes:
freezing rain/sleet/ice, slow at times to really improve, lack of visible leadership, idiotic city-county split, the potential of many features [ex.: the Rivers] are ignored if not spat upon, the Landing is degrading, the Admiral is dead, bike trials are poor [shows some signs of improving], public transit is hurting...

Old 11-16-2009, 12:10 PM

147 posts, read 384,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Lack of proactivity in the business community (try to get an automotive dealer, mortgage broker, real estate agent, government service worker or potential employer to provide proper paper work, return your calls or emails).
I've never found this to be a problem.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
...the potential of many features [ex.: the Rivers] are ignored if not spat upon, the Landing is degrading...
This is one of the saddest things about St. Louis and the immediate river valleys. With so much history based on the rivers, the overall attention to them is pretty pathetic. Even small cities like Charleston, WV capitalize on the assets of being a river front city. Pittsburgh also plays their rivers into nice cultural and recreational amenities. Being on what the Coast Guard Classifies as Western Rivers, both cities are prone to flooding. Saint Louis really has no excuse.

The best Saint Louis can offer is a broken down riverboat (Admiral) in front of a poorly maintained "Entertainment District" (Lacledes Landing). I would seriously suggest that Saint Louis City planners visit Poughkeepsie NY; Philadephia and Pittsburgh; PA and Fulton's Fishmarket in NYC to see how revitalizing a riverfront is done.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBaliviere View Post
I've never found this to be a problem.
its not a problem if you can except waiting for more that 18 hours for an answer (if you get one at all).

Old 11-16-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBaliviere View Post
I don't know, people usually call me back pretty quickly.
Not going to turn this into a he said/she said.

Back on track:

If you like sports, especially baseball you will be in heaven here. Win or lose the town is cardinal crazy. The Blues also have a very loyal fan base.

Football fans are fair weather. But being from Southern California, I know how easy it is to give up on the Rams.

Old 11-16-2009, 03:26 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,874,721 times
Dinsdale,
Instead of sitting behind your computer all day and night complaining about St Louis, why don't you get out and try to change it? I am not from STL, but I thought the city had a ton of potential. I moved to the city and I sit on the board of my neighborhood. We are working hard at making our space a better place to be. You have a lot of good ideas and could bring an interesting perspective to the table. There are several committees you can sit on, from Downtown improvements to making STL more biker friendly. You have said before you are "stuck" here because of your wife. Why not try to improve your situation? You may find things about the area worth staying for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis