Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 11:29 AM

4 posts, read 18,560 times

Advertisements

I will be moving from Massachusetts to St louis MO in June

I will be starting a new job in St Louis MO from June 2010. My work place is in Berkley area (near intersection of 170 and hwy 70).

What are the best and safest neighbouhoods nearby at 10 to 15 minutes drive from workplace (zip code 63134)?

Please recommend negihbourhoods with good schools as my kids would be starting school in one year.

I am looking for family neighbourhoods which are close to work (63134) and also have good schools and shopping access.

Our target is to find a nice small single family house either to rent or buy. Any recommendations?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 11:34 AM

1,563 posts, read 3,873,079 times
I would recommened Creve Couer or Maryland Heights, great areas with reasonable prices. If you can afford it, Clayton or Ladue are an excellent choices. It wouldn't be a bad drive from any of the above areas.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:35 AM

109 posts, read 245,878 times
I think Clayton school district is awesome -- pricier houses -- off 170.. Also the city of Olivette (where the kids attend Ladue schools) would be something to consider (right off 170.) Stay south of Berkeley

Old 04-27-2010, 11:37 AM

^Good call, I forgot about Olivette.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:59 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the information

I saw some listings in the area of Creve Coeur and Mayland Heights, prices looked reasonable. Creve Coeur is 15 mins from my new workplace, this might work.

Are there good elementary schools and pre-schools places in Creve Couer?

Thanks

Old 04-27-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcitygirl View Post
I would recommened Creve Couer or Maryland Heights, great areas with reasonable prices. If you can afford it, Clayton or Ladue are an excellent choices. It wouldn't be a bad drive from any of the above areas.

Thanks for the recommendations. I will focus my search on Creve Coeur and Mayland Hghts, I saw some listings online, prices looked reasonable

Old 04-27-2010, 12:05 PM

There are a lot of good schools in that area, Marksman can probably point you in the right direction.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:21 PM

2 posts, read 3,775 times
Since I am also a guy looking to move from Mass to St. Louis around June, I will just piggy-back onto this thread, if no one minds. I will be working near the Maryland Heights area, and I was wondering how easy it is to get around without a car there? The public transportation system doesn't seem very extensive, so I worry about living downtown, but I also worry that if I live out in Maryland Heights I will be cut off from the city and bored.

Are there restaurants/bars/stores etc., in Maryland Heights, or do you have to go into the city for those things? Is the area bike-friendly? Could I walk to a grocery store? Thanks for any help you can give, I appreciate it.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:28 PM

1,521 posts, read 3,598,727 times
^ You will need a car in St. Louis County. Your reverse commute from Downtown St. Louis to Maryland Heights will probably take you 20-25min with little to moderate traffic for most of the route.

As a young single guy, I would highly suggest looking at apts or houses to rent downtown, the central west end, Soulard, Dogtown, and Clayton.

Downtown, The CWE, and Clayton are all served by light rail. You can find out more about specific bus routes on the Metro Website.
http://www.metrostlouis.org/

Maryland Heights is a suburban office park. You will need a car.

In Maryalnd Heights you have West Port which you may or may no like.
http://www.westportstl.com/

Old towne St. Charles is very close
http://www.historicstcharles.com/att...ing.aspx?ID=14

But for the most part if you're a city guy you'll likely spend your social time in Clayton and the City.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:35 PM

^
I completely agree. You will want to be in the city or at least innerburbs: Downtown, Soulard, Central West End, Dogtown, Tower Grove or Clayton. I do the reverse commute, it's not too bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis