Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 07:31 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,692,498 times

Advertisements

Are there any natural anti-inflammatories that can replace over-the-counter drugs and do the job more safely?

Are there foods that have anti-inflammatory properties?

What have you found that is effective for you for inflammation and pain (swollen finger joints, osteoarthritis, etc.)

Thanks,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 10:22 AM

790 posts, read 4,019,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Are there any natural anti-inflammatories that can replace over-the-counter drugs and do the job more safely?

Are there foods that have anti-inflammatory properties?

What have you found that is effective for you for inflammation and pain (swollen finger joints, osteoarthritis, etc.)

Thanks,

Turmeric ... i take a heaping teaspoon in water ever day. I buy organic turmeric in bulk. You can find turmeric in capsules but it's much, much more expensive.
Rinse well and then brush teeth afterwards to avoid staining.
Turmeric has anti-inflammatory properties but it has a whole host of other health benefits.
WHFoods: Turmeric

Old 07-16-2008, 10:59 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,007,817 times
I have very swollen joints/connective tissue because I have Lupus. My rheumatologist told me to drink 3 cups of green tea every day. Pomegranate juice is also supposed to be a good anti-inflammatory so I drink that, too.

I honestly don't know if these things are helping much since I take some powerful immuno-suppressants, too, and still suffer from inflammation. But green tea and pomegranate juice are packed with anti-oxidants so they're good for you, regardless.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:01 AM

Thank you. Turmeric is on my list of "healthful" things to buy.

I suppose if one is afraid of staining the teeth one could fill one's own capsules, right?

Old 07-16-2008, 11:09 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times
Just to add to the other good advice by the other posters and that is Ginger and Cayenne Pepper are also anti inflammatory herbs.

As for anti inflammatory oils the Omega-3 fatty acids as they do very well in this category. Try to eat more Salmon or try taking Flax seed or Flax oil and also Walnuts are high in the Omega-3's.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:42 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,426,355 times
Blueberries and related berries.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:55 AM

Teatime, thanks. I'll have to add the green tea. Pomegranate juice is on my list of things to get.

6/3 - I believe I saw that about cayenne pepper somewhere else, maybe even in a post from you. I purchased it and started taking it, but need to be more regular about it. I sometimes forget to take it. Your notation of Omeg 3s reminds me what I just read about Omega 6s in farm raised fish. It appears it's a bad form of Omega 6 because of what they feed the fish. I never consume farm raised any-kind-of fish, and buy wild salmon whenever it's on sale. I'm posting a link below to the article on Omega 6s. It's in a newsletter I get from Dr. Weil, and I did hear something on the news the other day about harmful Omega 6.

We take a powdered flax seed drink (in juice) every day, sometimes twice a day. I get my 3-4 walnuts almost daily. Someone suggested to me that we should add ground hemp seed to the flax seed shake.

Groove1, thanks. We include lots of blueberries and other berries.

http://newsletter.vitalchoice.com/index000278504.cfm.

Reps all around!

Last edited by swbtoo; 07-16-2008 at 12:03 PM..

Old 07-16-2008, 12:09 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Cinnamon has anti-inflammatory properties, too. And it's tasty!

Old 07-16-2008, 01:16 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post

6/3 - I believe I saw that about cayenne pepper somewhere else, maybe even in a post from you. I purchased it and started taking it, but need to be more regular about it. I sometimes forget to take it. Your notation of Omeg 3s reminds me what I just read about Omega 6s in farm raised fish. It appears it's a bad form of Omega 6 because of what they feed the fish. I never consume farm raised any-kind-of fish, and buy wild salmon whenever it's on sale. I'm posting a link below to the article on Omega 6s. It's in a newsletter I get from Dr. Weil, and I did hear something on the news the other day about harmful Omega 6.
Ditto on Blueberries as i'm constantly reading about research showing how they lower inflammation in the brain. I really like the frozen kind as it tastes like Icecream.

I never eat farm raised Salmon but only the Alaskan wild Salmon as it cost me about $1.80 for a 14 ounce can that i eat half for lunch and hallf for dinner. Omega-6's are found mainly in Grains, Baking oils and Egg Yolks as they are Pro inflammatory when one consumes to much. The Omega-6 is converted in the body to Arachidonic Acid which is why they can be bad.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:35 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,444,022 times
Glucosamine–chondroitin
folic acid
B vitamins
reiki/energy medicine
hypnosis
Bio-feedback
massage
Aromatherapy
Nutrition therapy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements