Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 06:10 AM

47 posts, read 52,054 times

Advertisements

Alright, so I don't think it's THAT big of a deal, but perhaps someone could shine the lights on the benefits of one over the other and vice versa.

First off - does age affect multivitamins by much? I've got some 2 year expired ones sitting in a closet and not sure if I should throw them out. I figure I probably might as well as they're not too expensive, but still curious.

The ones I'm comparing (leaving brands out) are:
I'll bold what's different on each

Vitamin A: (Note: this claims to be specifically for men's health)
Vitamin A - 3500 IU (14% as beta-carotene)
Vitamin C - 90 mg
Vitamin D - 400 IU
Vitamin E - 45 IU
Vitamin K - 20 mcg
Thiamin - 1.2 mg
Riboflavin - 1.7 mg
Niacin - 16 mg
Vitamin B6 - 3 mg
Folic Acid - 400 mcg
Vitamin B12 - 18 mcg
Biotin - 30 mcg
Pantothenic Acid - 5 mg
Calcium - 210 mg
Iron - 0 mg
Magnesium - 120 mg
Zinc - 15 mg
Selenium - 105 mcg
Copper - 2 mg
Manganese - 2 mg
Chromium - 120 mcg
Potassium - 99 mg
-- Not listed on both
Lycopene - 600 mcg
Molybdenum - NA?
Chloride - NA?
Iodine - NA?
Boron - NA?
Nickel - NA?
Silicon - NA?
Tin - NA?
Vanadium - NA?

Vitamin B: (Note: Gender Neutral I suppose)
Vitamin A - 3500 IU (29% as beta-carotene)
Vitamin C - 60 mg
Vitamin D - 400 IU
Vitamin E - 30 IU
Vitamin K - 25 mcg
Thiamin - 1.5 mg
Riboflavin - 1.7 mg
Niacin - 20 mg
Vitamin B6 - 2 mg
Folic Acid - 400 mcg
Vitamin B12 - 6 mcg
Biotin - 30 mcg
Pantothenic Acid - 10 mg
Calcium - 200 mg
Iron - 18 mg
Magnesium - 50 mg
Zinc - 11 mg
Selenium - 55 mcg
Copper - .5 mg
Manganese - 2.3 mg
Chromium - 35 mcg
Potassium - 80 mg
-- Not listed on both
Lycopene - NA?
Molybdenum - 45 mcg
Chloride - 72 mg
Iodine - 150 mcg
Boron - 75 mcg
Nickel - 5 mcg
Silicon - 2 mg
Tin - 10 mcg
Vanadium - 10 mcg

That... was more than I initially expected. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 07:33 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,657,056 times
I can't help you with the question on vitamin expiration dates. They probably don't go bad or lose their potency but why bother with old vitamins?

Regarding the difference between the two versions of multivitamins, the men's version will almost never have iron. There are studies linking increased iron intake in men with heart issues. You will typically see more zinc and selenium in men's vitamins. Over 50 vitamins will typically have more B12 because older people have more difficulty aborbing B12. I can't think of any other reasons for different versions of multivitamins. The claims for versions such as sport or energy vitamins are ridiculous. The same with vitamins for your eyes. Those same vitamins and minerals are usually included in most multivitamins. The problem is people are too lazy to read the labels.

Old 12-17-2014, 05:49 AM

47 posts, read 52,054 times
Thanks for your response!

Old 01-13-2019, 01:09 PM

1 posts, read 735 times
I take 400mcg selinium 3 times a day along with 1Tbsp flaxseed oil 3 times daily for cardiomyopathy. To help with circulation. Have had no problems with this regimen. Do you have any information regarding heart disease.

Old 01-13-2019, 01:35 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
This is an older thread and I've taken multi vits over my life time but probably in the last about 10 yrs don't take a multi. I've chosen to zoom in on what I NEED that helps me as I grow older and work that way. Like I take 2-3K Vit C daily and yes get support from foods but don't count 100% on the foods...I'd be eating all day.

Old 01-14-2019, 06:48 AM

7,251 posts, read 5,123,089 times
Things to consider:

Most vitamins are anti-oxidants (ie- reducing agents.). They pick up oxygen easily, so one should deduce that exposure to air would make them less potent over time (and maybe not much time at all. Nobody knows.)

Several studies have shown that people taking Vit E have HIGHER rates of heart attack.

If Vit C supplements have any effects, they're probably just due to the fact that it's very acidic and not because it's a vitamin. Cf- those who take Vit C have higher rates of UTI, but those with UTI who take Vit C get over it faster. ???

Nobody with a properly functioning colon needs Vit K- our gut flora provides all we need (Look up the definition of "commensalism.")

You can get too much Vit A & D (the fat soluble vitamins). Excess water soluble Bs & C are simply eliminated quickly in the urine.

Nobody should take any Fe supplements unless you have been told by a doc that you have Fe- Deficiency Anemia AND its cause has been found...by inadvertently treating an Fe deficiency, you cover it up and routine testing will miss it and thus they won't have reason to look for your colon cancer, etc.....same advice even for women. You may have an obvious source of monthly Fe loss, but that doesn't mean you can't also have a cancer as source of Fe loss.

The American Psyche is tuned to think that "If ONE is good, then TWO must be better!" Is that really true of vitamins?

The BEST vitamins?---the CHEAPEST. (and even they may not be doing any good.)

Old 01-14-2019, 10:56 AM

Cheapest ?? That's like getting the cheapest surgery in my mind.

Old 01-20-2019, 07:20 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,585,979 times
In theory, the best way to go is no multivitamin at all.

Eating foods that are loaded with highly-bioavailable micronutrients is optimal.

Old 01-20-2019, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
In theory, the best way to go is no multivitamin at all.

Eating foods that are loaded with highly-bioavailable micronutrients is optimal.
And preferably pesticide free aka organic.

Old 01-20-2019, 11:21 PM

166 posts, read 240,809 times
Recent research has shown significant differences between Vitamin K1 and K2. K1 is responsible for coagulation and the body will make sure there is enough K1 for this need - that may be why guidoLaMoto thinks we have enough. Vitamin K2 is important for both bone health and cardiovascular health through two different mechanisms. The western diet has been shown to be insufficient for proper levels of K2 and many people are likely deficient for optimal bone and CV health. This is particularly important for young people during development of their bones and for older people who are more at risk for calcification of the arteries.
There is additional complexity in the area of K2 as there are two different forms - MK-7 and MK-4. While they are both K2 it is only the MK-7 form that has been shown to support CV health. It is also better absorbed and stays in the body longer than MK-4. I take 100 mcg / day of MK-7 for these benefits. Specifically I take the MenaQ7 brand of K2 / MK-7 as this is the ingredient used in most all of the recent studies. The studies can be seen here: menaq7.com/science/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements