Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2017, 09:15 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,757,327 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking Magnesium L-threonate
of supplementing with magnesium (fibromyalgia, also having muscle cramps lately) and have read that L-threonate is the form most readily absorbed by the body, even crossing the blood-brain barrier and helping with cognitive issues (which would be most welcome!).

I'm wondering if it's worth it to try to find this form, possibly having to order it online. Also wondering if it causes the "loose bowels" issues like the others do.
Magnesium L-threonate
Magnesium L-threonate
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 06:51 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,501,704 times
I haven't heard of that form. I've heard magnesium Glycinate is an absorbable form.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:02 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,937,571 times
I have tried magnesium threonate a few times. For me, it's affect seems entirely unpredictable. I think one time it seemed to give me a good night's sleep but then on another occasion it kept me awake or negatively affected my mood. I just found it odd and, as I say, unpredictable. It's possible that there were other factors that caused the issue that I thought might be side effects of the magnesium threonate, but I have had enough bad experiences experimenting with supplements over the past year that I have no desire to try it again. It did not give me loose bowels.

I have been using magnesium glycinate pretty regularly for about half a year now, and I've experienced a mild improvement in my overall energy levels, though not as much as I'd like. I still think its' worth it though. When I first started supplementing with magnesium it made a huge positive difference, so I think I was probably starved for it.

An earlier post of mine here:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/suppl...l#post45290914

If you haven't been supplementing with any magnesium and want to avoid intestinal issues, I'd recommend trying magensium glycinate.

Incidentally, I have dropped down to generally just 400mg of magnesium glycinate a day. I was initially trying higher doses. I think higher doses are actually a little too stimulating for me. (Everything is too stimulating for me! And yet I have some health-related fatigue issues. Though that may finally be resolving--not because of the magnesium but because of getting chemical cautery treatment for my sinus problems.)

Old 02-23-2017, 06:39 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Rather than experiment on yourself it would be in your best interest to talk to your doctor and have a blood test to see if you can benefit from this substance.

Quote:
Before you decide taking oral supplements of < glycinate, be sure to first consult your doctor. There are components in magnesium glycinate which can affect those who have liver problems, kidney problems, diabetes, alcohol dependence, or the like. If pregnant, it is recommended to use only if greatly needed because it is not known if it passes through breastmilk or if it can affect the child negatively.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Rather than experiment on yourself it would be in your best interest to talk to your doctor and have a blood test to see if you can benefit from this substance.
Blood tests can't accurately measure magnesium levels.

I've been on hydrochlorothiazide for a few years now and no doctor ever told me that it depletes magnesium. But go ahead and talk to a doctor.

Old 02-23-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
Blood tests can't accurately measure magnesium levels.

I've been on hydrochlorothiazide for a few years now and no doctor ever told me that it depletes magnesium. But go ahead and talk to a doctor.
I did, my blood test confirms i have normal magnesium levels, doctor (Nephrologist) says no need for the supplement,

Old 02-23-2017, 06:38 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,757,327 times
I've just been having a lot of foot cramps lately and I've read that low magnesium or potassium can cause that. Seems like I had also read that mag can help with fibro, so I thought I'd start with that.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:01 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
If the doctor tests for magnesium in the blood, it won't be accurate because the body will take magnesium from other places to keep the blood levels up.

But if the doctor tests for magnesium in the CELL, it can be accurate. That's what my doctor from a long time ago told me. She had to tell the lab specifically to test within the cell. It came out really low and so she put me on magnesium as a supplement. Maybe some doctors don't know that. This doctor was ahead of her time, I think.

Old 02-23-2017, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
If the doctor tests for magnesium in the blood, it won't be accurate because the body will take magnesium from other places to keep the blood levels up.

But if the doctor tests for magnesium in the CELL, it can be accurate. That's what my doctor from a long time ago told me. She had to tell the lab specifically to test within the cell. It came out really low and so she put me on magnesium as a supplement. Maybe some doctors don't know that. This doctor was ahead of her time, I think.
So can they use blood cells for that, or do they need tissue samples of some sort? I had read that accurate magnesium testing required tissue samples, but I have to admit I haven't really looked into it that closely. Maybe I was too quick to accept some alternative medicine dogma.

Old 02-24-2017, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I've just been having a lot of foot cramps lately and I've read that low magnesium or potassium can cause that. Seems like I had also read that mag can help with fibro, so I thought I'd start with that.
I started taking magnesium and potassium for the same malady,forum advice implied this was a possible solution to my nightly leg cramps,My nephrologist was not impressed with my course of action and said i wasnt doing my failing kidneys any favors by using these supplements,she said blood tests reveal no lack of magnesium and potassium in my blood and attributed my cramps to a high usage of water pills(Furosimide) i use to alleviate edima.She prescribed a multi vitamin (replavite) that more focused on my needs and told me to try to cut out all salt,havent had a cramp in over a month so i'm happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements