Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2017, 05:11 PM

29,259 posts, read 16,876,959 times

Advertisements

Why oh why MD's don't discuss this mineral with patients makes me so angry. I get my levels checked annually by my MD and one would think this would be standard practice....but I wonder. All they seem to do is push calcium. So much of this push for calcium, doesn't even get the calcium to the joints/bones where it is needed. That's where D3 and K2 are needed.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3775240/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2017, 05:46 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,263,228 times
Why oh why do people who don't actually READ research studies other than the Title perhaps insist on posting these studies and commenting on them without actually UNDERSTANDING them, it makes me so angry.

Some key points pulled directly from the study posted above...

In spite of the evidence showing that Mg is beneficial for the skeleton, warning results were reported in the Women’s Health Initiative Study where it is shown that postmenopausal women with the highest quintile of Mg intake have the highest incidence of wrist fracture [5]. These results are in keeping with some data showing that elevated Mg might have harmful effects on osseous metabolism and parathyroid gland function, leading to mineralization defects. Indeed, high bone Mg inhibits the formation of hydroxyapatite crystals by competing with calcium and by binding to pyrophosphate forming an insoluble salt, not degraded by the enzymes

To our knowledge nothing is known about the effects of different concentrations of Mg on MSC survival, growth and differentiation both in vivo and in vitro, apart from the studies performed with MSC on biodegradable Mg alloys [61]. Also osteocytes have not been studied in relation to Mg. Far from being passive by-standers in the bone, the osteocytes are emerging as mechanotransducers and orchestrators of bone remodelling [62]. Many other challenging questions about Mg and the bone are still unanswered.

Consequently, optimizing Mg intake might represent an effective and low-cost preventive measure against osteoporosis in individuals with documented Mg deficiency, while doubts remain about supplementing the general population with the mineral since too much Mg seems to have detrimental effects on the bone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements