Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 10:01 AM

26,662 posts, read 28,755,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_scott View Post
Asking what the one 'best' supplement is for you is like asking the public what the best drug is for you. In my opinion we can't know the answer. You're not looking for a brand recommendation but a product. If you have something specific that you are trying to achieve then perhaps you will get some good suggestions.
Right. There's no "one" best supplement. It all depends upon the individual. For an elderly person it might be zinc or it might be B12 or B2 because many elderly people tend to be deficient in these. For a woman in menopause it might be calcium. But she would need magnesium to balance it. For an alcoholic it might even be milk thistle for the liver! For someone with a particular illness or injury, it would be something else. The only way to know for certain is to get tested by a doctor.

There's danger in taking a supplement that is wrong for you. You might throw things off and end up worse than before. Get tested by a doctor if you can. If you have some particular symptom, sometimes you can google it and find out, or someone here might offer a suggestion. For instance, Lysine is probably good for cold sores. But even then, just take it for a short time or it will throw other nutrients out of balance.

It might be better to just take a general multi vitamin if you're not going to get tested to find out what you really need. There is no such thing as one "best" supplement. (We all wish it could be that easy. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 11:09 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,805,637 times
Right on what is best, I posted what has done the MOST for me in my life. I take many supplements and feel they serve a purpose but the one I posted made a huge impact on my life. And it continues I believe.

Old 03-06-2018, 04:28 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,106,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Well, if I had to keep ONE, it would be Grape Seed Extract and/or Pycnogenol as I've experienced the MOST benefits from this supplement for the last 22 yrs. I just posted a new post on it and Anti Aging. Many HERE get so upset with my constant talk about this great antioxidant.
I'm interested in giving grape seed extract a try, which brand do you recommend? Tablets, powder or liquid?

What about grape seed oil?

Have you tried making it yourself? I came across these directions.
http://www.grapeseedoilforskin.com/h...eseed-extract/

Last edited by 5-all; 03-06-2018 at 04:36 AM..

Old 03-06-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
I'm interested in giving grape seed extract a try, which brand do you recommend? Tablets, powder or liquid?

What about grape seed oil?

Have you tried making it yourself? I came across these directions.
How to Make Grapeseed Extract
I use capsules and buy 200mg caps and like Olympian Labs, lately I'm taking 600mg thru the day with the colder weather and my aging joints so this dose is doing good for me.

I have used grape seed oil for salads over the early years but don't anymore. Mostly olive oil and coconut oil and already prepared salad dressings and cooking and drizzling these oils on some foods.

I make a skin moisturizer from Vit E Cream/Aloe Vera base and powder from capsule of pycnogenol. I've been doing this for years.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 03-06-2018 at 10:41 AM..

Old 03-06-2018, 01:41 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,106,367 times
Thanks very much. I'll look for the capsules.

Old 03-08-2018, 02:51 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,291,908 times
I've been taking b12 for years, after surgery which limits the ability to absorb it from food. But I take only the sublingual type which dissolves on the toung, absorbed into the blood stream directly. But as the doctor wasn't diet oriented, I was intoroduced to them by my own doctor when I came in just contantly tired, and she did a blood test. She didn't know I needed a sublingual, but I was part of a support group and our adviser did warn all of us that these things in normal form aren't absorbed so you need to use this one. I don't absorb the b12 from a regular pill, but have to get the sublinguals. I can tell the difference in how I feel immediately. I've taken an extra when I have a lot to do and can't let it wait, but don't do that regularly. But I can tell the difference in energy level between taking the normal one and none.

What it took was my doctor, who also believed in checking the levels of nutrients. She had other suggestions as well, and when she moved I really missed her.

The other real super performer I tried only recently. I've been reading about magnesium for a while but it was never mentioned as effective in regulating moods. I decided to try it and its been amazing. I get this grey, dull floating just into depression moods, not full on but like a gloomy cloud. I tried Vitamin E and the chelated magnesium, and suddenly they are all gone. And this is without the tidal shift when the pills run out. And I don't take them now as the magnesium maintains stable moods. And if needed, I take a st john's wart, just one, and it knocks it out.

It's also interesting when I take the magnesium that I have energy, but not supercharged bursts of it, and that cloud which likes to yell daunting messages of doubt back to you is there but silent. And I didn't learn about magnesium from a doctor but from people here.

It's like the magnesium is the door lock which keeps the gloomy locked away, and what comes next is what issues or joys or needs are waiting undealt with behind it. But you have the power to keep it away as well.

This is only my experience, but its been a long existing problem, and of all the medications which were supposed to work, this suppliment I can't regularly absorb has made every difference without the blowback of most meds.

Suppliments are real, but do your research and take an evening at the screen and look up what those who use them and those who don't want you to say, and make up your own mind. If your on some sort of meds, also, see how well or bad it is for the meds to function, and if you've been taking medication and its not working, have a blood test to see if it really is at all.

But you have to be your own boss here, and learn all you can and make your own decisions in what you take or not. If you have some physically based condition, then don't ignore that part either. This, I've found, is one thing most doctors I've had have failed at doing with rx drugs. But I read everything I can find about those and inform them not only that I won't take it but WHY, and they clearly haven't checked. Or you get an 'its rare'. 'Rare' is something *I* get to decide.
Most people don't ever question the doctor, but they are human too and especially if its not their specialty and you case is hardly normal, they should not just blanket assume the drugs they use work properly and should not assume they are in charge of which side effects must be 'lived with' either.

Power alone will not save you, but your own power with your own honest research can make a huge difference in your life, even give it back to you.

Old 03-08-2018, 03:13 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,291,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_scott View Post
Asking what the one 'best' supplement is for you is like asking the public what the best drug is for you. In my opinion we can't know the answer. You're not looking for a brand recommendation but a product. If you have something specific that you are trying to achieve then perhaps you will get some good suggestions.
I'm interested in the reasons for using and the results of suppliments, even if I don't use them. The things I take I note every reaction and maybe can help someone else. And there is no such thing as a normal for everyone. You can make the pill, rx or suppliment, to the highest standard and testing, but when it meets the biochemestry of the patient its still an unknown. My experience is doctors don't ask about the unusual. I have taken to actually writing it up for a new doctor, but TELL them personally first. Especially rx style stuff may respond somewhere between not at all to middling to something not at all planned.

And its my experience that doctors don't want you to take up their time explaining how they are not the norm, and why the doctor should know. I have to find a new one, and am thinking about writing up a paper about my own history, with conditions, meds which worked, meds which never will and why and meds which did what they should not have. And they need to understand how unstandard my own biology after the tangle of surgeries to "fix" things have left. And why there will be no more. If they have something where they have to look at it maybe it will make them remember.

But I have learned more about how things work including myself, and found the best ways to deal with it mostly myself and it takes some real interest in that from a doctor before I believe they really care.

Old 03-08-2018, 09:30 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,497,950 times
I recently heard of this one, Serrapeptase and judging from the reviews tt sounds very promising. I'm not sure I need another one but this I heard is great for inflammation and joint paint which is why I take the Turmeric.

Quote:
Although the role of Serrapeptase in nature is to literally eat through silkworm cocoons, researchers have found that it performs several additional functions that are beneficial to the human body. When taken orally on an empty stomach, Serrapeptase is absorbed by the small intestine and enters the bloodstream (19).

Once released into the body, this enzyme promotes the degradation of cellular debris that trigger inflammation by over-stimulating the immune system and causes fluid accumulations to become thinner, thereby facilitating the drainage of harmful substances away from the site of inflammation.

As a result, Serrapeptase has the ability to rapidly decrease the signs and symptoms of inflammation while speeding up tissue repair (20-25). It also digests proteins that form scar tissue, blood clots, cysts, mucus and arterial plaques, among others (13). Since living tissue is not broken down by Serrapeptase, taking this enzyme poses no threat to healthy tissue or cells.
On Amazon here.
https://www.amazon.com/Best-Serrapep.../dp/B01DO9HDQ2

I take

Turmeric Curcumin
for inflammation, joint pain. It is supposed to have other benefits such as Anti-Cancer and Anti-Alzheimers.

Alpha Lipoic Acid
for Neuropathy and nerve pain. This also is reported to work for Fibromyalgia and nerve pain.

Milk Thistle and Himalaya Livercare
for liver health. These keep my liver enzymes in check.

Magnesium
for digestive health and since I am a diabetic for insulin sensitivity.

Old 03-08-2018, 10:24 AM

I went thru the Serrapeptase phase and hoped it would be good but didn't feel anything with it. I do take Nattokinase which reduces homocystine levels. My doctor isn't concerned about cholesterol but has tested my homocysteine levels in the last few yrs. Again Serra..... may help others.

Inflammation is the real bad guy. Grape Seed Ex is my #1 no matter what. I love trying to find missing pieces to the aging body and work on the puzzle.

Old 03-08-2018, 11:37 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,497,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I went thru the Serrapeptase phase and hoped it would be good but didn't feel anything with it. I do take Nattokinase which reduces homocystine levels. My doctor isn't concerned about cholesterol but has tested my homocysteine levels in the last few yrs. Again Serra..... may help others.

Inflammation is the real bad guy. Grape Seed Ex is my #1 no matter what. I love trying to find missing pieces to the aging body and work on the puzzle.
Yes Jam, I know you are a big proponent of Grape Seed Ex. I tried a bottle of it a couple of years back and it did not do anything for allergy problems that I still have. I get watery eyes, runny nose on a regular basis. It is pollen and seems to flare up more at certain times of the year. The only thing that works is generic Claritin and I only take it when I need it.

I heard about the Serrapeptase but as I mentioned, I don't need it for anything specific. Judging by the reviews on Amazon, it does help a lot of people. It doesn't seem like something we could get from foods. It is derived from silkworms of all things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements