Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 09:37 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,066,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I deal with a pretty damaged knee, I've talked about it here and have been so close to knee replacement...but in the last 6 months I have 3 supps that are keeping me from that surgery:
Been there ....done that and I'm glad I did.

I had both knees replaced in 2003 do to being close to needing wheelchair full time along with gobs of pain. My knees were just plain worn out.

Since 2003 the surgery is light years better and way, way faster both to do and to heal. The hard truth is there is no pill or injection that will aid people with knees that are worn out. The sooner you get your knees replaced the sooner you can get back to living your life . If your general health is fairly good DON'T WAIT.

When you do get your knees done ............do your rehab therpy no matter what!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2018, 09:46 PM

29,259 posts, read 16,876,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
Been there ....done that and I'm glad I did.

I had both knees replaced in 2003 do to being close to needing wheelchair full time along with gobs of pain. My knees were just plain worn out.

Since 2003 the surgery is light years better and way, way faster both to do and to heal. The hard truth is there is no pill or injection that will aid people with knees that are worn out. The sooner you get your knees replaced the sooner you can get back to living your life . If your general health is fairly good DON'T WAIT.

When you do get your knees done ............do your rehab therpy no matter what!!!
I still have a lot of cartildge in my right knee and my left knee is in good condition and I'm 80 soon. I've come a long way since the mess of the infection and the complication from hip replacement. No wheelchair here. Time will tell what I'll end up doing, maybe I can keep going as I do. I dread an invasive surgery, hip job was enough. I know about the rehab.

Old 04-15-2018, 09:54 PM

26,666 posts, read 28,853,293 times
Quote:
I get that bone broth deal, but I'm not going to cook broth every day etc..I didn't do it when I could shop and stand long in the kitchen and now I don't do that. I have bones in the freezer that I should probably cook.

I'm seeing the ortho MD early next week to see if he thinks knee should be drained but I have a gut feeling, he says NO. I have not given up on trying PRP injections.
I cheat with the bone broth by getting one of those rotisserie chickens. After a few days, all that's left is the carcass. I plunk it into the slow cooker and let it go. That gives me several days' worth of bone broth. It would be perfect if I could have some every day but that's too much work for me.

On the (many) days that I don't have any bone broth available I take L-Proline. Mine also contains L-Lysine and I don't know which one (or both) is doing the work, but it stops any joint pain. I've got to do some research to see why it stops the pain. Anyway, it's a bit easier than making bone broth all the time--and I don't have bones on hand all the time.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:33 PM

22,695 posts, read 24,737,532 times
I just take any meat with bones.........set it to cook all day on low. Eat the meat and everything else for dinner. No need to do it every day.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I cheat with the bone broth by getting one of those rotisserie chickens. After a few days, all that's left is the carcass. I plunk it into the slow cooker and let it go. That gives me several days' worth of bone broth. It would be perfect if I could have some every day but that's too much work for me.

On the (many) days that I don't have any bone broth available I take L-Proline. Mine also contains L-Lysine and I don't know which one (or both) is doing the work, but it stops any joint pain. I've got to do some research to see why it stops the pain. Anyway, it's a bit easier than making bone broth all the time--and I don't have bones on hand all the time.
I have a half bottle of L Proline and I have NOT been taking it. I just took 2 now, 2 daily on empty stomach, so I'll take 2 when I wake up and finish up the bottle for now. Can't hurt.

PROLINE | Benefits | Studies | Dietary Sources | Products | Deficiency |

Thanks for the reminder.

Old 04-15-2018, 11:40 PM

29,544 posts, read 22,866,684 times
What's helped my knees is every night after work, is using those electric heating pads that I wrap around my knees and get them sweating. Supplements haven't really done much for my knees.

Old 04-16-2018, 12:07 AM

26,666 posts, read 28,853,293 times
Quote:
I have a half bottle of L Proline and I have NOT been taking it. I just took 2 now, 2 daily on empty stomach, so I'll take 2 when I wake up and finish up the bottle for now. Can't hurt.

PROLINE | Benefits | Studies | Dietary Sources | Products | Deficiency |

Thanks for the reminder.
Interesting article. I had almost forgotten about L Proline and have been reading about it for the past hour. What I read got me motivated to go and take a look at what I take. It's L-Proline by Source Naturals, is only around $15, and it contains the co-factors that the articles mention, like vitamin C. L-Lysine is important and it's in there too. Also has some decent calcium and magnesium and a few other little things that might interest you.

So I took two and came in and saw that you have mentioned it too. Good reminders of something that really does work. I definitely intend to continue this supplement from now on after reading the articles. Most research seems to have been done in other countries and some of the other research was as old as 20 years--but that doesn't mean it's wrong. Knox gelatin was used in the old days and could still be used today--I have used it in smoothies and I know dancers who use it. Along with the bone broth, we're getting a pretty good arsenal against the pain of OA.

I'm not going to dig up any more articles right now--as long as it stops the pain, that's enough. There's a lot of information out there on these particular amino acids combined with vitamin C, so much information that I'm been convinced to take them on a regular basis. (L-Glycine is in there too somewhere--I have to take another look, but that's the amino acid that cured my fibromyalgia.) I want to get straight on the amounts to take and make sure to not take too much of any one amino acid.

Old 04-16-2018, 12:54 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,615,155 times
Thanks to all of you for the tips and suggestions!

And to capoeira!

Old 04-16-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
What's helped my knees is every night after work, is using those electric heating pads that I wrap around my knees and get them sweating. Supplements haven't really done much for my knees.
When I was in the first rehab with the knee infection the PT worker would often wrap my problem knee in hot compresses so that I could get my leg to cycle the bike. The after pushing me to try to walk, would order cold packs back in my room. This was all before the infection was found.

My thinking is the hot packs get the blood circulating more. The cold is for calming inflammation ... it's a balancing act. I just used a hot pack on my knee and as good as it feels while on, hurts like "H" when I start to walk....what a mess I deal with.

I too believe in my situation, the "cleaning out" surgery left me worse...I think. Seeing the ortho tomorrow as it's been over a year since I saw him and I was in wheelchair then. I don't think there is much he can offer me as I don't want steroids, HA injections didn't work yrs ago and his next offer is replacement.

Old 04-20-2018, 12:51 PM

Saw the ortho surgeon the other day and he did xrays and the knee looks pretty damaged and he seems surprised that I can walk and bend it as well as I do. He said I've developed a "cushion like" and it's giving me the flexibility I have...I believe it's the Cosamin DS. He was NOT pushing a knee surgery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements